Author Topic: Saw some beautiful hunting country on my way though Idaho and Montana...  (Read 873 times)

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
 :D Coming back from a family reunion in Washington state, we saw some beautiful country in northern Idaho...and Montana...In Idaho, we stopped east of the city of Cour de Lane (?) along a river by the same name..saw a nice young bull moose on my morning walk...down an old railroad bed...that country sure was green and comfortable looking..Anyone tell me the kind of fish in that river???? in a pond were the moose was having breakfast, I saw some bluegills or similar pan fish..no one was fishing this stretch of the river so wondered what was in it..looked like pemier whitetail country..my girl friend loved it and Montana..much prettier country than the sage brush plains of Wyoming...Must say I wondered what type of varmit shooting would be there..only coyotes I fear...Montana was different..Mountians were higher, then farther south the valleys wider..fished the ST. Regis  River, Fish Cr. and the famous Rock Creek...did fair in Rock Cr. but the water was still high...did see some Columbian ground squirrels in this area..had varmit rifles, but all the squirrels I saw were in pastures with stock,so I didn't even try and get permission...Went south from Butte to Alder, the sight of the huge gold fields in the 1800's...planned to fish this area, but the bugs drove me out..so we took a ride to the Ruby dam, on the way back to the trailer it was getting dusk...started seeing whitetailed deer , then one field must have had 25 nice bucks...Wow, what a sight....At this point we decided to head on down to Wy...we planned to fish the Madison with a relative, he has a second residence there, but he was called away due to a death in the family, so we came back to the dry plains of Wyoming...and all the little varmits...Beautiful country up there..My girl friend made me promise to return to northern Idaho soon.  Maybe next summer or spring...Any varmit hunting in that area???? How about that beautiful river...fish?? I am sure, but what kind...maybe trout, maybe small mouth bass.....

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
Coyote hunter...... Glad you liked the area.  Mostly rainbow, a few cutthroat and bull trout in the CDA River.  IF you come back go up the St. Joe.  Better everything.   More fish, better scenery, much wilder country.  This is still a great place to be for a sportsman, but you should have seen it 40 years ago.  Good predator hunting here too but can be tricky in the north where the timber is thick.  Good population of coyotes, bobcats and getting to be more and more wolves.  Who knows where thats going.  Also have some fox in some of the farming country wherever the coyotes alow them.  Hard to find ground squirrels here anymore. The farmers have pretty much poisened them off.  Farther south is a lot more open and better for the small game. 

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Blueduck, thanks for the tip...I may look that over next spring or summer....it is a beautiful state...every western state has some awesome places. ....I love the open prairie of the Wy. deserts, but my girl friend is not so enchanted with them..of course, we have two small mt. ranges on either side of this valley, so it is not all plains...but the varmit hunting as in Idaho, has slipped greatly, as you said, 40 years ago it was great...take care and thanks vey much for the reply...good hunting , that time is about on us...

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
Re: Saw some beautiful hunting country on my way though Idaho and Montana...
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 07:02:05 PM »
Coyote hunter...... Glad you liked the area.  Mostly rainbow, a few cutthroat and bull trout in the CDA River.  IF you come back go up the St. Joe.  Better everything.   More fish, better scenery, much wilder country.  This is still a great place to be for a sportsman, but you should have seen it 40 years ago.  Good predator hunting here too but can be tricky in the north where the timber is thick.  Good population of coyotes, bobcats and getting to be more and more wolves.  Who knows where thats going.  Also have some fox in some of the farming country wherever the coyotes alow them.  Hard to find ground squirrels here anymore. The farmers have pretty much poisened them off.  Farther south is a lot more open and better for the small game. 

I don't know you where you got your information sir, but let me tell you, you are wrong, wrong, wrong!!!!   I live in the St. Joe river Valley, there hasn't been a deer, elk, moose, bear, trout, or anything worth a s#%& around here in years.  All we have are California immigrants and Apple Maggots(Washington state Residents).  So stay away and spread the word.  In fact, nobody should even drive through this country.  Take a long detour around through Utah.  Just STAY AWAY!!!!!   ;) ;D
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline rlm2007x

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 07:08:23 AM »
I lived there for 6 years in the '90s and would love to go back someday.  Of course I'm afraid the yuppie California crowd is going to ruin it.  It is suddenly "the place to be" on all the "best places" lists and mentioned quite often in magazines like Backpacker and such.  They are forgetting about the WOLVES!  They are RABID and WILD and carry DEADLY DISEASES!  You risk your life to go to Idaho, please stay away if you want to live! :o

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 11:40:31 AM »
I lived there for 6 years in the '90s and would love to go back someday.  Of course I'm afraid the yuppie California crowd is going to ruin it.  It is suddenly "the place to be" on all the "best places" lists and mentioned quite often in magazines like Backpacker and such.  They are forgetting about the WOLVES!  They are RABID and WILD and carry DEADLY DISEASES!  You risk your life to go to Idaho, please stay away if you want to live! :o

Yes the Californians are very "RABID, WILD, AND CARRY DEADLY DISEASES!", you must constantly protect yourself.  The wolves are getting bad too!
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"