Author Topic: Whats wrong with this deer?  (Read 2541 times)

Offline merhunts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunt like your hungry
Whats wrong with this deer?
« on: August 08, 2010, 01:45:27 PM »
Sorry about the poor quality. As you can see the poor deer is skin and bones, his tongue is hanging out 5 or 6 inches. It looks like he's trying to eat but he doesn't look like he's getting much. I have contacted the NCWRC about it but haven't heard from them.
You can't kill 'em if you ain't in the woods.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Whats wrong with this deer?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 03:16:46 PM »
Looks like Blue Tongue Disease also known as Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD)
http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/articles/blue-tongue-disease/

Offline jpred1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 04:27:08 PM »
Thats bad, it needs to be trapped and helped or killed and buried to get it out of the misery.
Still dreaming of that Boone and Crocket Pistol Kill!!!

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 04:42:48 PM »
The proper thing to do is put it out of it's misery and not worry about the NCWRC.

Spanky

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »
As much as I hate needless killing of game, myself I think I would put it down.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 08:00:57 PM »
Looks like Blue Tongue Disease also known as Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD)
http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/articles/blue-tongue-disease/
i do belive you are right

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 10:55:50 AM »
Blue tongue got pretty bad here a few years ago. Some of my buddies that cut logs for a living were finding dead deer on a daily basis.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 02:39:15 PM »
from the posted website.....

This disease is spread by biting midges like flies or gnats. Some of the symptoms of this disease are high fever, excessive salivation, and swelling of the facial area and tongue. The blue tongue that gives the disease its name occurs only in a small number of cases. Once the deer is bitten and infected with the virus most symptoms will began to show within a few weeks. The death rate is usually low but tends to more noticeable in seasons of high temperatures and little rain. When a deer is infected with the virus their extremely careful nature is often changed. They move toward water and shade to try to comfort themselves from the high fever. They are less fearful of humans, and lose their appetite for food. Death can come from hemorrhages of the heart or other glands and starvation. The disease is nontransferable to humans. It can only be carried by biting insects infected with the disease.

If this is true, odds are the deer will recover.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline merhunts

• Hunt like your hungry
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »
Thats what i thought it was, but wanted some more input. Thanks. I'll post what NCWRC says about it.
You can't kill 'em if you ain't in the woods.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 05:12:26 PM »
A bullet in that deer is a kindness.  Shoot, shovel, and shut up.  No one is ever going to say you "poached" that deer.  You would be doing it a favor.  At this advanced stage in its decimation it is just waiting for Mother Nature's unkind end - death by starvation.

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 11:29:21 AM »

If this is true, odds are the deer will recover.
[/quote]
I don't think the deer will recover but the disease will stop spreading in cooler wetter weather.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline elhoward622

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 11:06:16 AM »
We had one about 4 years ago at our hunt club that was cover in these growths.  He was nicknamed "warts" and had a messed up twisted up little 5point rack.  We put him down just in case it was some communicable disease so it wouldn't spread.  Doesn't really matter in the long run but here in alabama we don't have tags so shooting a cull, wounded, or suffering animal is done without much thought.

Offline Huntsman1

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 11:38:02 AM »
We had a whitetail doe with an abnormally large cist bag hanging from under her chin the size of a cabbage..she seemed healthy other than that. Have'nt seen her since but the F&W officer said it could be from a wound.

Offline elhoward622

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 03:32:23 PM »
This one had grape sized growths all over its body with several large growths hanging off of it. Its head and one eye were a mass of growths.  Not sure what it was but it even smelled bad when we shot it.

Offline digs68

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 02:57:34 PM »
I was guessing bluetongue myself. We had it hit here and there through the years here in Missouri. My brother was bowhunting a few years ago when a scrubby little doe came stumbling up the path. When she got closer, he noticed a huge goiter under her neck. He had intended on letting her pass and let nature take it's course, but she was struggling and then she tried and tried to scramble under an old fence in the woods. He had enough, and decided to put her down. He put an arrow through her and left her lay.
She wasn't fit to eat anyway.
I agree with the others. Put that deer down. It may help keep the disease from spreading.

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 06:03:18 PM »
What ever you do DO NOT put out any corn or anything else to will gather deer to a general spot.  Looks like Blue Tongue and if so it can kill every deer you have.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 02:07:05 AM »
i do not beleive blue tounge can spread thru the slobber of one deer to another at least that is what the dnr in michigan are saying
rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 02:58:07 AM »
Didn't say it was but it is spread by gnats and no-see-ums.  Catarrhal fever (blue tongue) can occur in farm animals such as sheep.  For stopping an infestation on a farm it is suggested to quarantine the infected.  You will cause a much larger spread of the infection if you put out bait.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."