Author Topic: Hornady LNL Classic powder measure w/ problems  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Qualitymilk

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
Hornady LNL Classic powder measure w/ problems
« on: August 09, 2010, 05:06:58 PM »
Anyone else have problems with their Hornady LNL classic powder measure?  Mine is basically new, and I can't make the drum go up and down without a sticky spot, and it does not like to dump powder without being tapped on.  I have tried both Varget and IMR 4831, and both should flow thru it with ease.  I am going to call Hornady tomorrow, but I was curious if anyone else had this trouble - frustrating!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: Hornady LNL Classic powder measure w/ problems
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 10:47:06 AM »
Don't have a Hornady measure, but an RCBS and I load IMR 4831. That powder has pretty big grains and  you should expect to shear some off as you dump the powder. I have never used Varget.  

By all means call Hornady but I suspect you are ok, just need to get familiar with the unit. Any large grain powder will be harder to dispense than ball powder.  Have to say I loaded some 4320 the other day and was pleased how easily it went thru my Uniflow - never used 4320 before. Grains are smaller than IMR 4350 or the older 4831's.

Oh and I'm a bit rough with my measure to make sure the powder drops into and out of the unit evenly. I do a very firm swing up to dump and then sharp crank down to accept the next batch from the hopper when using coarse powder. It makes it easier to cut the granules too.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 11:35:57 AM »
Sounds like what Dand said.  When using a course powder thru my RCBS Uniflow, I have found the key to accurate powder drops is consistency in how you operate the unit, along with keeping the powder hopper above half full.  The snag you feel operating the handle is grains of powder being sheared by the opening in the powder drum as it turns.  No big deal.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline saddlebum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 11:45:32 AM »
The above posts are exactly right on the money. I will add that in the past I have had powder find it's way in between the cylinder and the frame and cause it to drag and snag. Have you pulled the cylinder and cleaned it and the inside of the frame? Might give it a try.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 02:58:14 PM »
Did you wash it out? When I got mine I thought I had it cleaned had some trouble with it took it apart washed it with hot soapy water. Haven't had any more trouble

Offline Qualitymilk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 03:42:36 PM »
Thanks for the responses, guys and you are in agreement with what the Hornady tech told me too.  The "stick" powders as he called them will shear off as you operate the powder measure, but I think a good re-clean is in order too.  It's been hot and humid, and I may have some oil residue left in the unit.  I cleaned it before the first use, but I'll try it again.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 01:49:16 AM »
the first lnl progressive i bought was an experince. I didnt read the instuctions and just dumped powder in it and had a gummed up mess. You definately need to clean it real well with a good solvent to get the protective oil off of it. Only trouble i had with it dropping powder was when i was using stick powders and the small necked funnel insert. Go to a larger one and the problem disappeared. Personaly i think there about the best powder measure on the market. I just love the switchable inserts you can keep set in the powder charges you use the most.
blue lives matter

Offline PA-Joe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 02:51:43 AM »
You should also learn how to bump the handle on both the up and down strokes to settle the powder in the measure. Some people call it tapping the handle. That helps make certain that the measure fills with powder and then drops it all.

Offline Qualitymilk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 02:28:20 AM »
I cleaned it again and used it yesterday without any problems - I think the "grease" they package these things with was the problem with mine.  Got her going good now, and I agree they are a good quality product from Hornady - I too like the adjustments you can make on the measure for different loads.