Author Topic: Elk season is just around the corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Elk season is just around the corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: August 10, 2010, 10:42:19 AM »
 ;D  In this area we have a cow season that opens Aug. 15, and my girl friend'gs son and grandson drew out of state permits...Now we are getting ready for their hunt and mine later in the season.....My girl friend and I tried for these permits, but no luck, so I bought a general...but her son and grandson will be here in Sept.  for a go at the elk...So today I did a bit of sighting in and trying loads for their rifles and one I may use this fall...Since they will fly, her son sent his .338 Ultra home with me when I was on the east coast this spring turkey hunting...loaded some 225 grain Accubonds in it over R22....her grandson will use my 7mm Wea. with 160 grain Nosler part. over I7828.... both of these are set to shoot about 3 inches high...after a few shots both are right on the money...the .338 has nev er  been used on game, so we will see how this performs in Sept...my old 7mm has taken coyotes, antelope, whitetails, mulies, axis deer, elk, and moose so it will be up to the task..We may have to switch guns for her grandson if the Wea. proves to have a stock that is too long, but it is one he wanted to try so it is ready for him....for my elk, later in the fall, I loaded some 300 grain Noslers over IMR4350......for my old .375 H & H...have had this one for many years, but never used it on any American game but antelope,, did a nice job on them with 300 grain Silvertips I may try the Silvertips if I get an open shot but the Nolsers shoot so well, I will probably stick with them.. FN's pictures of the 300 grain bullets from elk, made me think I should at least have this rifle ready if the chance comes along...we will see.....

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Elk season is just around the corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 02:27:53 PM »
I've killed 2 elk with that 300 partition and IMR 4350 in my 375 H&H. It will work plenty good. The closer I got to max powder charge with mine, the better it shot. I never recovered either bullet on my elk, so I couldn't tell you what they looked like. Both elk went down like the very ground was ripped out from under their feet.

I have to admit, I'm a bit envious. I got skunked this year. No tags for anything.

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 05:39:14 AM »
yes it is. got me a big 7X7 picked out, that i'll poach day before season starts.

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 05:37:46 PM »
I feel like I won the lottery this year. Went 7 years not even drawing an antelope tag then this year I struck gold. I got drawn for an early cow elk hunt that starts on the 20th Aug and goes thru Nov 30. Also got a late bull elk tag that starts on Nov 15 thru Dec 31. Got my antelop tag too and the coup de gras was the moose tag. Life is good in Wyoming fellas.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 09:23:01 AM »
 :d  Wow, congradulations....We often draw antelope tags, but the second cow permit I covet so highly, I have only drawn 2 in 6 tries...I don't get a special permit for bulls as there are too many areas I like to hunt...but best of luck to you ...and the moose permit is icing on the cake...what area is your moose permit for...I have 3 and my wife before she passed away had two...although our last permits were for cows only...we loved moose meat so that was fine with us...what are you using to slay all these beasts?????? Enjoy, it will be awhile before you have that much luck again...no matter how much you deserve it.....

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 05:47:23 PM »
I will be carrying my normal elk medicine, a .338 Win Mag but will also have a 629 with a Burris 2X scope in case I get a <100 yard opportunity. I will be going out next Friday and the report from the rancher says there is a herd of about 50 head on his alfalfa now. Probably have the same gear for the moose hunt. Life is good in Wyoming. ;D
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 06:38:57 PM »
What elk season? >:(  :'( :D ;D

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Just a follow up report of my hunt. There turned out to be six of my buddies that drew the same tag and we all went out the day before the season to glass the alfalfa field we were gonna hunt. There was a herd of about 65 head and the next morning we went in from two different directions. At sunup, the first shot was fired and in less than a minute all seven of us had our elk down. I love it when a plan comes together.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 01:04:50 AM »
 ;D  Congradulations...hope the moose hunt goes as well...

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 07:15:20 PM »
Just a follow up report of my hunt. There turned out to be six of my buddies that drew the same tag and we all went out the day before the season to glass the alfalfa field we were gonna hunt. There was a herd of about 65 head and the next morning we went in from two different directions. At sunup, the first shot was fired and in less than a minute all seven of us had our elk down. I love it when a plan comes together.

Let me know how much of that elk meat will fit in a large flat rate box, and i'll get a money order out to ya for the shipping costs.  Oh, and i'm partial to the backstrap and tenderloins. ;D
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 10:10:53 AM »
10 more days until elk season opens here!!!

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 12:40:44 AM »
4 more days until rifle season opens up here.  It is actually called any weapon season, my weapon will be a remington model 700 either in 338-06AI or 358 Norma mag.  What an aweful decision to have to make. ;D

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 12:44:01 PM »
Opening morning of bull's only was sunday morning.  Me and the wife heard 3 different bull's bugling, none of them would come in to calls though.  Then we had 4 cows and calves at about 80 yards.  Then i had a cow come out into a clearing about 35 yds, then at about 40 yds a real nice 6x6 rack appeared above the brush.  That is all I ever saw of him is rack, never so so much as a hair on his head before the wind swirled and all was lost.  A few cows this morning but no bulls.  Either sex is 3 days next weekend, i'll keep my fingers crossed.  For now I have to go work all week, :'(

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 02:04:44 PM »
Life is tough, ain't it? 8)

Offline Doesniper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »
Heading out with the 300WM this weekend. Taking two of my boys, my 70 yr old father and brother-in-law. I'm looking to make a classic family memory. Life is good.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 04:49:42 PM »
Bagged a 6x6 in Idaho. Day 4 after over 50 miles of hiking the mountains. Saw a few others smaller bulls and some cows. He dropped to 140grain out of a 270win at 215 yards.One shot through the lungs and out the other side. We estimate lweight at over 700 lbs. He was a huge body bull with a 40 inch spread.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 06:39:21 AM »
Can't argue with that. Nice job. How did it look like the sucess in that area was? Did you see a lot of hangers in the camps?. By the way,didn't any body tell you you can't kill elk with less tha a 340 Weatherby mag?

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 09:09:05 AM »
I did see a few at the meat processor. I shot this one on Wed and Cow season opened the next day. We took my bull to the meat procssor on Friday and the head/cape to a taxidermy. I hung mine in a fridge for a couple of days at the ranch. The meat processsor guy said he did get another nice 6x6, couple of spikes and a few cows. More cows likely will come in to him. Another freind who was hunting the same territory did see a nice 6x6 and few spikes and cows as well. I did not even see another hunting camp or hunter the entire time.

Its amazing how an Elk today can still drop to a 140 grainer out of a 270! Years ago it use to happen all the time and today the so called experts will tell you that your under gunned.......Its almost like they need hunters to think the animals are builing up an immunity to the older standard cartridges...
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 11:35:52 AM »
My 338-06AI made fine work of a SPORK(Spike on one side fork on the other) friday morning, the 15th.  He dropped to a single shot to the chest at about 50 yds.  This was first blood for this rifle, there is no MAGNUM  in the name so wasn't sure if it would do the job ;D

Offline Range Rider

• Avid Poster
  • Have a nice day cowboy
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
Cabin4 I can tell you have been there and done that. I must say that we have to question are Elk getting tougher or are Elk hunters gettin more tender?  How many Elk were put down with the 06' and 270 and the lowly 30WCF?  I don't recall anyone having special bullets except folks who shot Vampires and Werewolves. Well no one chased them on Japanese Quarter Horses {for you flatlanders thats a 4 weeler}.  There was time when you tracked and stalked on foot in the high country to get an elk.  It seems a light effective hunt'in rifle like a Pre64 Mdl. 70 .270 always did the job. Damn DNA any how made those Elk to tough to kill with an ordinary rifle.  Had 2 moose trackin by my place at sun up this AM headin down the Bear River for the lower country winter is coming to Big Wyoming.

RR
Range Rider

Offline PA Elk Hunter

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 01:17:06 PM »
the 7mm weatherby shot well very nice gun shoots great dropped that elk