Author Topic: Miniature French cannon from the 18th century  (Read 541 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Miniature French cannon from the 18th century
« on: August 11, 2010, 06:53:06 PM »
A museum article about five bronze cannon models from the era of Louis XIV. Metropolitan Museum of Art

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Miniature French cannon from the 18th century
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 11:33:59 AM »
Thanks John for sharing these links.  It's nice to know what is in them before clicking.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 02:27:23 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of time it took to do any of these things ! And for what ?

To inspire confidence in ......... the crew , the enemy , the Captain ? The King who's paying for all this ?

The populace ???? Or the Church ? Why in the heck did they do this ?

I understand England discarded the bronze beauty and artsiness involved sooner than most .

Then the sun never set for abit , the economy of things came to terms and here we are .

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 03:14:23 PM »
War wasn't just a matter of killing.  It was also sport for the gentry who had the where-with-all. They attended the battle, regaled in their finest, mounted high above or off to the side (for the most part) and moved the enlisted swine about like chess pieces in a field.

Think of what is now being taken into the field and woods, just to hunt game. Fancy grained wood and engraving, when an old Carcano will do just as well.

Pride of ownership is the key.

Been there; done that.

Think morko.

rc
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!