Author Topic: Making Progress  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: Making Progress
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 07:23:10 AM »
robbob,
Use as many clamps as you can come up with.  A 3/4" blade is fine for the straight cuts but I think you will have trouble with the curves.  A 1/2" blade should do fine for those cuts.  Tahe a belt sander to it after cutting to dress it up.  Any voids can certainly be filled with a waterproof wood filler since it is going to be painted.  Of course, I am making that assumption.  Are you painting it?  The amount of time you spend sanding will directly affect the final look of your carriage. 
Thanks for the pictures.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline robbob

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 07:27:49 AM »
Thanks for the tips Zulu!  You, as many on this board are, a fine craftsman. 

YES! I am planning on painting it! 

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 05:39:46 AM »
You, as many on this board are, a fine craftsman.

+1 on that!! ;D
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline robbob

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 07:10:52 AM »
Well, house projects have kept me pretty busy the past few weeks, however, this morning I had time to cut the oak and glue up the pieces to make the stock.  The oak was about 1.8" after planing and the stock will be 4" square at the front end so I had to sandwich another piece in the middle. Should hold up pretty well.  I wish I had a few more clamps......have 5 parallel face clamps and 5 quick grips on it.  I hope I don't have any voids when I unclamp.

I also decided not to use all thread to hold the cheeks to the front of the stock.  I picked up some 5/8" square head bolts and nuts from the local Fastenal.

Offline robbob

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 03:09:54 PM »
Stock is cut and sanded except for the notch in the front where the axle tree passes thru. I think I will cut that with a dado blade so it is nice and square.  I'll post some pictures later. 
I got an email from Mike today that my barrel is almost done.
This is getting exciting!

What a difference a blade makes.  I bought a much better blade for my band saw than the one that came with it and the oak cut very easy.  Thanks to some help from Dom I have the cheeks all figured out. I'll start cutting them after the barrel arrives.

Rob 

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 08:30:09 PM »
This doesn't happen very often , it so happens That I work with Mike on his cannons . It seems that I am working on your cannon this time. I am putting the trunnions on tomorrow , and then Mike puts the finishing touch on it and its ready for shipping. Will try to do extra clean install for you  ;D

Offline robbob

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 02:16:18 AM »
This doesn't happen very often , it so happens That I work with Mike on his cannons . It seems that I am working on your cannon this time. I am putting the trunnions on tomorrow , and then Mike puts the finishing touch on it and its ready for shipping. Will try to do extra clean install for you  ;D

Thanks!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I'm looking forward to getting it!  Gotta wait till after vacation though.  :(

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 02:56:44 AM »
 Looks very nice, Whats the wheels of off,  Joe

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »
I talked to Mike today and yes this cannon is yours . Finished my part , its now over in Mikes shop for finishing up . Trunnions went on nice  ;D . Hope It gives you many years of enjoyment . Robin

Offline robbob

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 02:58:52 AM »
I talked to Mike today and yes this cannon is yours . Finished my part , its now over in Mikes shop for finishing up . Trunnions went on nice  ;D . Hope It gives you many years of enjoyment . Robin

Thanks Robin.  I know I will enjoy it!

Offline robbob

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 04:00:38 AM »
Here is the stock I cut from oak.