Author Topic: lasers?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: lasers?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 11:48:01 AM »
An old Texas Ranger at a party in the Governors Manison is asked by an older REFINED lady: Ranger, I see your wearing your pistol to the party tonight. Are you expecting trouble? No mam, I'm not. If I was, I woulda brought my shotgun. ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Merle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 12:11:34 PM »

There are so many ways to use a pistol to fight with, that will never be discussed here, that I would never give you a shot at me with the laser, and you would find it difficult to hide from me and still return fire, with or without your laser. The only gadgets that I have ever found useful concerning pistols or revolvers, is magazines, and speed loaders, and I am very critical of some of the speed loaders.

Now! I don't think I can add anything else to this topic. I have expended my opinions, training, "and experience", as far as I'm willing.

I think it alltogether fitting & proper that you don't disclose too much in an open forum - pretty much the same thing as some military methods & equipment should not be discussed.

Thanks for all of your input!

8)

Offline bud1

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2010, 04:22:59 AM »
  I have a revolver with both open and laser sights.  I highly recommend the open sights for good light situations, and I just as highly recommend the laser sight for poor light situations.  I also recommend much practice with both in both light situations.  I like to take advantage of the strong points of each.
  Bud

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2010, 10:39:50 AM »
I have a laser on my PF9 and love it!  But I can't say a thing about the tactical use of the laser as I don't have that kind of experience.  BUT I can say that it will give your wife a BIG boost in confidence, and if for no other reason than that, I would get her one.  That confidence may well make the difference if she ever needs to use that gun.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2010, 12:02:42 PM »
Pistoleer, while your peaking around that building to see your laser, I'm gonna step a few feet back from my cover, and I'm gonna run one down your wall, even if your across the street, and you'll never see me. If you've got a car between you and me, I'm gonna bounce one off the parking lot and get ya.
There are so many ways to use a pistol to fight with, that will never be discussed here, that I would never give you a shot at me with the laser, and you would find it difficult to hide from me and still return fire, with or without your laser. The only gadgets that I have ever found useful concerning pistols or revolvers, is magazines, and speed loaders, and I am very critical of some of the speed loaders.
If I am serious and committed to the fight, while your hiding, and fiddlin around with your laser, I'm going to be trying to find a shot on you, not posing for your next shot. TV and movies are as far away from reality as one can get. The fight starts, and most times ends, in seconds, with seldom more than 2 or 3 shots fired by either combatant. Statistically MOST shootings occur in low light, and at night. Physically! TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN. Mind Set! DEVELOPE, DEVELOPE, DEVELOPE. Gadgets! Play
Now! I don't think I can add anything else to this topic. I have expended my opinions, training, "and experience", as far as I'm willing.

My guess is your going to bounce one off the parking lot and miss me,but you COULD get a hit that way. Id rather buy a lottery ticket though,better chances.

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2010, 02:47:07 PM »
I have a laser on my PF9 and love it!  But I can't say a thing about the tactical use of the laser as I don't have that kind of experience.  BUT I can say that it will give your wife a BIG boost in confidence, and if for no other reason than that, I would get her one.  That confidence may well make the difference if she ever needs to use that gun.  44 Man

Thanks for the input.

Offline Dee

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2010, 02:47:30 PM »
What I was trained to teach, and actually used, and what I taught, and watched other officers use, and what you "think you know" are two totally different things. But I'm ok with it if you are. ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2010, 03:12:22 PM »
I finally got Kathie to a gun show this weekend so she could handle a few handguns.  Spent a while with this very helpfull dealer who was some kinda combat handgun shooter, admittedly only against paper advasaries!   :D  Anyway I told him Kathie wanted a lazer on whatever she got and he told her "A lazer will get you killed!"

A little strong since the chance of my little white woman getting in a gun fight is about as likely as world peace, but I noted his opinion thinking about this thread.   ;D

BTW Dee, I think I'll order a Buckmark for her.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 09:39:44 AM »
You guys might want to look for a rope since I've dug up this almost month old topic, but I think it's a good one with a lot of expert advise.

I've given it some thought since I just got my P3AT to go along with my full size Glock .40 caliber that I've had for several years, and I just finally broke down and got a pocket pistol for those times I couldn't really carry the Glock.

I'm a pretty good shot with either pistol and have past training, and combat experience, so I know all about muscle memory and reacting rather than depending on thinking, sight picture, or looking for that little red dot under stress, and agree 100% with those who have been there and done that!

I can only put myself into the shoes of someone who doesn't have the experience or time to train, or who hasn't ever been faced with a situation that meant fast reactions in a life or death situation, but I do understand why someone would feel that a lazer would be an advantage to someone in that category, and I would have to be inclined to advise them to go for it!

You need to have a mentality that if something were to happen that you have the confidence that you can come out on top, and if a lazer will do that and boost your confidence then that is all you can ask.

Anyone who doesn't train, and could end up in a bad situation will be looking at the perp, and they won't have the time or muscle memory to even attempt to aim, and will more than likely be pointing the gun in the perps direction so that little dot could just make the difference between hitting him, or just spraying lead in his general direction.

I don't see myself getting a lazer personally but I'm not going to rule it out all together, but with my aging eyesight I'd probably have to figure out which of the three dots I would be seeing, was the one I needed to concentrate on.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 05:13:27 PM »
I have a problem with people (who obviously don't have a laser on their gun) telling me that it will get me killed, or I'll get shot while I'm 'fiddling' with it.  There is no 'fiddling' involved with my Crimson Trace.  You grip the gun, the laser comes on.  You release the grip and it shuts off.  Nothing to it.  I have been trained to always use my sights and I will continue to do so, but the laser is a nice addition to them and can be an asset when needed.  Several of the gun writers were completely against the lasers at first, but after using them, like them very much.  The only disadvantage I can see could be in a 'house clearing' situation where the laser would forewarn someone you were coming.  But only the untrained would attempt to clear a house themselves.  The clear advantage is always to the one hiding and waiting.  Houseclearing is a job for a swat team.  I like and use a laser and I will purchase more for some of my other guns as the budget allows.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 06:23:18 PM »
as far as defensive purposes, Its not gonna hurt to have one. My brother has a set of CT on his kimber, pretty cool, work well.

For me, I need to have one, They seem perfect for defending my newly planted trees from the jackrabbits that mean to do them harm..IN low light situations  ;)

;D ;D ;D
Atllaw, they make a GME buckmark, with "tactical" rails, I have one, you could put a whole lots of lasers on it  :D

Dave

Offline S.S.

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2010, 05:38:12 PM »
Fun Toys. Makes the cat get really stupid bouncing off the walls and such.
I would in no way allow any of my people to use them though.
Poor substitute for training and marksmanship. Also makes a fine target
for a shotgun blast in the dark. If I ever see a laser come on and start looking for
me in the dark, that will be the first thing I shoot. I have never believed in gimmicks.
All of the add on junk that is attached to rails and such just take away from the
balance and maneuverability of the weapon to me. And on some clothing material
that laser dot is not very visible. especially loose weave material.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2010, 07:31:37 PM »
I have a problem with people (who obviously don't have a laser on their gun) telling me that it will get me killed, or I'll get shot while I'm 'fiddling' with it.  There is no 'fiddling' involved with my Crimson Trace.  You grip the gun, the laser comes on.  You release the grip and it shuts off.  Nothing to it.  I have been trained to always use my sights and I will continue to do so, but the laser is a nice addition to them and can be an asset when needed.  Several of the gun writers were completely against the lasers at first, but after using them, like them very much.  The only disadvantage I can see could be in a 'house clearing' situation where the laser would forewarn someone you were coming.  But only the untrained would attempt to clear a house themselves.  The clear advantage is always to the one hiding and waiting.  Houseclearing is a job for a swat team.  I like and use a laser and I will purchase more for some of my other guns as the budget allows.  44 Man

The talk about "Trying to find the dot" or "fiddling with the laser" seems to be what people come up with who dont like lasers,but dont really know why. I had a laser on a browning hi power a long time ago,and it seemed fine. The reason I didn't use it was not becuase of any failing of the laser sighting concept itself but becuase it was about 15 years ago,and the laser was this box that was about 2x3x.75 inches that bolted to the trigger guard,that ate batteries and added considerable weight and bulk to an otherwise sleek and well fitting gun. They have come a long way since then. I recently tried a reflex sight on a rifle and I found there is something of a similarity. With the laser I would look down the sights and the dot would be right there. What I did find,and at the time,due to my inexperience with guns,it surprised me,was that the laser was not magic. Like a lot of people I felt that the laser would make me an expert instantly. After all,you put the dot on the target and the bullet hits there,or so you would think.  It turns out all that other stuff like a stance (whichever you prefer that does the job for you) that makes you stable,holding the gun properly,breathing properly and pulling/squeezing the trigger properly and all the other stuff is still important. My feeling is,if you train with the laser,your going to be able to hit things with the laser. However,your going to have to have a gun with a laser on it always. Just like a lot of us train with scopes on rifles,and are not very good with iron sights. One thing I noticed on a rifle is that my eye sight makes it difficult to use iron sights. I can do OK with a scope though. I tried a reflex sight and it works OK at 50. At 100 though,I have trouble seeing the target clearly. I bet that I would be just as good with a laser on that rifle,and have exactly the same problem,as the two sights are doing pretty much the same thing,putting a dot on the target. I can certainly see the idea that if your eyesight gives you problem with the sights on a handgun,a laser might work well for you. (Im hoping my new glasses next week will fix it. He also said he could give me a free trial pair of contacts to try out,which might correct things better)