Author Topic: Update on New H&R Ultra Light Slugster-20 gauge-Back From The Range Report  (Read 3897 times)

Offline skinman

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
I just purchased a new ultra light slugster in 20 gauge. I thought to myself; how can I help reduce the recoil without adding too much weight? My plans all along was to be able to  hunt with the ultra, minus all the heavy weight. I used to have the ultra slugster 12 gauge years ago. I remembered the round steel stock that H&R put in the gunstock to balance the gun due to the heavy barrel, and help to reduce recoil. I just happened to have one laying around the shop. Put that piece of steel in the rear and screwed the butt plate back in place. I have a Redfield Revolution 3x9x40 on board. Picked up the shotgun and "viola!" Not too bad for balance, not enough to throw me off anyway. Out to the range I went. I was well pleased once again with the tack-driving ability of this shotgun....years pass and I was hoping it would shoot as good as the one I sold off some years ago. The felt recoil was just a shove, not a hit in the shoulder that I was expecting. I had to tell someone, my wife know's nothing about shooting. Just don't get her on the subject of fishing......can't get her off the water when the bluegill/crappie are hitting....LOL. ;)

I'll have to post a pic of my new gun. I never did like the finish of the pallet stock/forend so I sanded/put different stain and of course used the reliable Tru-Oil. She is a beautiful gun in my eyes anyway. *As a plus, I couldn't help but put 24kt gold powder in the reciever lettering and on the slug barrel. I stained her in Dark Walnut. Setting in my safe besides my father's Belgium Browning Auto-5 Light Twelve, she sets just as high and proud. (My father's Belgium Brownings are all 24kt powdered that set in my gunsafe). She's now a Peacock among Peacocks! This whole outfit is American manufactured........makes a fella hold on to some hope for our country!
"Hunting and Fishing"....a deadly disease that I thank God they will never find a cure for..

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Sure reduced the recoil-Proud as a Peacock!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
Skinman,

Nice read and glad you got a slug gun that you really want to hunt with.  I think you will be happy with your new Redfield, I have 3 and like all of them.  I have one on top of a 45/120 and after 100+ rounds nothing to complain about.  Please post a pic of your new gun would like to see it.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: Brand new H&R Ultra Light 20 gauge Slugster
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »
Skinman nice job on the refinish and the gold lettering is a very nice touch!
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 02:22:41 PM »
Wow... that looks really great.  What's the secret of the gold powder?  We wanna try it too.!!!

Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline skinman

• Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 06:19:02 AM »
Concerning the gold powder.....patience is the key. I use Q-tips. Then use them again to gently wipe away the excess with solvent that comes with it. The 24kt hardens into the stampings, but great care still has to be taken or you can accidently remove some of the gold out of the lettering.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm kinda proud of it......still lightweight, and I just love the whole setup now. I'm getting a Tracker II from a fella on this site. I'll post some picks of it when I decide what to do with it. I'll have to look at the grain in the wood to decide what stain setup I'll use.

In Best Regards:

J.D.Gillis
"Hunting and Fishing"....a deadly disease that I thank God they will never find a cure for..

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 01:39:24 PM »
Very nice job on that skinman! I'm all for changing stuff up to make it better! Real Nice! scout4<><

Offline skinman

• Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 02:30:40 PM »
Thanks guy's, for all your nice comments :) Still waiting on the Tracker II. I believe I'm going to drill/tap it myself and put the Weaver scope base on it. I have the base setting in my shop on the shelf, ready to get mounted. ;) Still wavering on what stain to use. Stay tuned, it will come to me.......I hope!

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 02:34:51 PM »
I used 3 coats of BLO and 3 coats of minwax natural stain and 5 coats of polyurathane on mine
                                                              410ga

Offline skinman

• Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:33:46 AM »
Spikehorn,

Great looking shotgun! Job well done. It's nice to have a firearm that suits your fancy. Don't you just love the feel of the wood on your hands?

Offline skinman

• Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
Update on New H&R Ultra Light Slugster-20 gauge-Back From The Range Report
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 03:06:44 PM »
I'm delighted as the only Rooster in a hen house ;)  Got outstanding groups today at 50, 100 and 150 yards. The air temp. was around 81 today at the range. This picture is my 3 shot groups at 150 yards. 50 to 100 yards were hitting the center out, so no point in showing them. I use no sled. My professional setup is a 2 1/2 ft. ladder, garden kneeling pad and a boat cushion. My range is a farm field that is 900 yards long (helps when you live way out in the country!).

Just wanted everyone to know that the lighter weight ultra slugster shoots as accurate as the old heavy one that I use to have. Whewww....no more carrying that heavy slug gun around ;). Makes me a very, very happy camper!

I mounted the scope which is a 1.5x5 Slug Scope with the BDC rectile. I can now be confident out to 150 yards. 200 to 250 yards is the limit of this scope. I have not tried that distance yet. I will be putting some stacked 2x10's behind the target to examine penetration.

I did try Hornady SST to no avail. Also the Buckhammers were also not grouping well. Each barrel has their own niche. Glad I found mine before I spent a fortune! Remington Accutip seem to shoot the best out of this barrel/scope setup. FYI. ;D

Offline skinman

• Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
I'm delighted as the only Rooster in a hen house ;)  Got outstanding groups today at 50, 100 and 150 yards. The air temp. was around 81 today at the range. This picture is my 3 shot groups at 150 yards. 50 to 100 yards were hitting the center out, so no point in showing them. I use no sled. My professional setup is a 2 1/2 ft. ladder, garden kneeling pad and a boat cushion. My range is a farm field that is 900 yards long (helps when you live way out in the country!).

Just wanted everyone to know that the lighter weight ultra slugster shoots as accurate as the old heavy one that I use to have. Whewww....no more carrying that heavy slug gun around ;). Makes me a very, very happy camper!

I can now be confident out to 150 yards. 200 to 250 yards is the limit of this scope. I have not tried that distance yet. I will be putting some stacked 2x10's behind the target to examine penetration.

I did try Hornady SST to no avail. Also the Buckhammers were also not grouping well. Each barrel has their own niche. Glad I found mine before I spent a fortune! Remington Premier Accutip seem to shoot the best out of this barrel/scope setup. FYI. ;D

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Glad to hear that has worked out for you. Upon getting the Tracker II you might want to check out the Weaver #62 scope base. I have one of mine set up that way. The rail is half as thick as the regular one and seeing as how you have to drill and tap anyway, placement of the holes will not be a problem. I have used the #62 on a couple of Toppers and a handi but had to turn them end for end so to speak to get two of the holes lined up to the tapped holes in the barrel, and had to slightly hawg one hole in the rail to make it fit. Others have indicated it doesn't quite exactly match the contour of the barrel but I have had zero problems with my set ups

If you want to try one that way let me know and I'll send you a rail, I think I have one left.

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
My computer may be playing tricks on my eyes, but the refinished stocks look really dark, almost black. I like it a lot!

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Nice job on the refinish... it looks great. I like the looks of Spike's stocks too. I have stripped a few sets to refinish them, when I got the old stain off the wood grain was so nice I just put an oil finish on 'em. It's surprising sometimes how nice the wood is under the factory stain.

Spanky

Offline TAR12

Re: Update on New H&R Ultra Light Slugster-20 gauge-Back From The Range Report
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 05:50:17 PM »
Is the barrel on this gun heavier than a field barrel? Say inbetween a field barrel and the original ultra heavy barrel? Thanks

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 11:24:43 AM »
The ultra slug hunters are heavy barrel, Tracker IIs are not
                                                              410ga

Offline TAR12

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 03:45:39 PM »
The ultra slug hunters are heavy barrel, Tracker IIs are not
The original Ultras are heavy barreled.The ultra LIGHT in this thread is not.Bare bones they weigh 5.25 lbs.I am just curious as to how the ultra light barrel is constructed.I have owned both a 20 ga and 12 ga in the orginal ultra configuration and then went to a Tar-Hunt DSG.Then to a custom Savage 10 ML II.I am interested in this new ultra-light for extreme weather days when I am hunkered down in the thick stuff waiting.....

Offline ddetoro

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 02:18:59 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  I know it was back in 2010, but I had been weighing buying the heavy ultra slug hunter vs. the newer ultra light and no one could tell me how the accuracy compares until I saw this post.  Certainly wanted to avoid the heavier gun if at all possible since we do alot of deer drives.  I assume others have found the same thing out as Skinman?  Thanks.
Don