Author Topic: Slugging a Barrel  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Dill45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Slugging a Barrel
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:42:32 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm not entirely sure if this is were this is supposed to go...but I'll give it a shot.  I've got a 44 Mag sitting here (S&W 629 8 3/8 Barrel) that I can't seem to not lead up.  I have a feeling that the bore maybe a bit on the bigger side, so I'm decided to slug the barrel to really find out.  While I don't cast my own bullets, I do reload pretty close to exclusively lead for this gun and I need to get this leading issue resolved.  Now I've never slugged a barrel before, but I've read up on it and watched a few videos on youtube about it and it seems simple enough, if done right with the proper precautions taken to avoid hurting the barrel. 

The main question I have is what to use to slug it.  I have some .430 diameter lead bullets and some .452 diameter lead bullets.  At first I was thinking of just using the .430 bullets to slug it but if the bore is too big I figured it might not even work since the bore is over sized...  Then I thought to use the next step up I had, some 45 bullets, but I don't want to push something down the bore that would do some damage or get really stuck in there.

Any advice?

Offline Anduril

• Contributor
Re: Slugging a Barrel
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:08:24 AM »
Unless you cast your own, your bullets are probably a pretty hard alloy.
Go to a store that sells fishing stuff and buy some egg shaped sinkers with a hole through the middle.
Something around 1/2" in diameter should work. They are usually real soft lead and the hole lets them squish down in size.
A clean barrel with a light coating of oil will help in pushing the slug through.

Offline WayneS

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 08:29:15 AM »
Use the .430 bullets to "slug" your cylinger throats,, if they are to small just get 6 more "egg" sinkers.
The two Dia.'s bore and cylinder throats will tell you what you need to know. I don't know of anyone that sells .431 or .432 bullits

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 08:45:30 AM »
Beartooth Bullets can supply .44 caliber bullets from .429" to .432"
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm
Also slugging stuff:
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

Bit of trouble posting entire address. Column on left will direct you to bullets and slugging supplies.

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 08:37:01 AM »
Wayne is correct. It is the relationship of diameters between the cyl throats and the barrel that is of interest. Additionally you'd like to establish the diameters of the individual throats. You want to end up with identical throats and they are all about .001 or so larger than your barrel dia.
 Then you can worry about how to match your bullets to the throats. What fun ! 

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 08:15:41 PM »
Thanks a bunch for the info guys!  I'm going to pick up some sinkers just as back up, but will give the throats a go with the bullets I got.  I have a rather sinking feeling that the throats are pretty oversize and I'm using too small of a bullet with all the grief I've been getting.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 06:53:25 AM »
Check the sinkers closely; I got a pack of zinc sinkers a week ago.

Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 09:02:43 AM »
Well...I got my answer rather quickly.  Dropped a .430 bullet into the cylinder and it feel right through.  So off to the local shop around here.  The best sinker they had was a half inch one, which didn't quite fit inside the cylinder so I ended up buying some 45 cal round balls that were soft enough to scratch with my nail.  Got back, cleaned the cylinders out real well, made sure they were dry and lubed up the round balls.

First throat checked at .433 second was at .4325.  They continued on like that with most being .433.  The barrel is much smaller than .433, I figure around .430 tops.  That all being said, what would my next course of action be?

Bright spot, my BH in 45LC throats are at .4515 to .452 which is great!

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 10:38:17 AM »
Veral Smith, the owner/operator of LBT Moulds, makes barrel slugs in any caliber you might want. They are soft lead slugs that are designed to measure barrels. His web site is:

http://www.lbtmoulds.com/

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 09:28:38 AM »
If that were my .44 mag., I would shoot .432" bullets through her. Much smaller and you may get leading at the cylinder mouths and forcing cone.

Offline Anduril

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 10:02:34 AM »
Check the sinkers closely; I got a pack of zinc sinkers a week ago.

Kaliphornia, no?

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 05:30:28 PM »
They still have lead sinkers here.  I can tell you that much.