Author Topic: Variable or fixed power  (Read 628 times)

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
Variable or fixed power
« on: August 21, 2010, 04:59:55 PM »
  I'm having a custom Mauser built.  It will be a shilen 26" lite varmint barrel in 6.5-06.  This is a distance rifle for varmint and deer.  I'm pondering what scope to put on it.  I like Leupold but they only have a fixed 6x and 12x fixed.  I wanted an 8x or 10x.  I also noticed a lot of good variables including a 4x12.  hat is the benifit of a fixed power scope vs variable?

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: Variable or fixed power
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:13:16 PM »
For long range deer.
Var X II 3-9X40 LRD.  LRD - Long Range Duplex.
Gives you the options of long range and the 9X along with the ballistic drops on the duplex.
and the 3X for walking to and from your stand where you may walk up a deer and a snap shot will be needed.
Same with stalking you have 3X, 4X, or 6X depending on the terrain.  Woods 3X, Hills 6X, taking a 200 yard + shot 9X.
I have a 4X leupold on one of my big game rifles and I have no problems hitting gongs at 200 yards.Have not killed anything with it yet.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 03:06:34 AM »
there used to be a big differnce in durability and even optical performance between fixed and variables. that just isnt so anymore. I still liked fixed power scopes but its mostly a nostalgia thing with me. Variables are hands down the way to go anymore. there just much more versitile and theres very little differnce in price between them.
blue lives matter

Offline Savage_99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 03:50:06 AM »
Freezer,

Good to see that your looking at quality scopes.  I agree with Lloyds post on variables with my exception of not feeling a connection with fixed powers.  Sure I still use them at times but I was never comfortable with my first scope when used for deer.  Its a 6X Lyman I got in 1953.   I just can't find a deer fast enough in it.

I use variables.   Let your eye pick what model and brand your eye prefers.

On one longer range 270 WSM I have a 3-9 Conquest and on a 243 a 4.5-14 Conquest.  

I have dozens of scopes including Zeiss, Leupold, Hensoldt, Lyman .....
And today I buy the Conquest for its superior optics and value if it will fit size and weigh wise on that rifle.

Yesterday I took a walk hoping to see a woodchuck or a coyote and scouting for deer.  I carried a neat little Brno 22h in 7-57 that has a small Leu. 3-9 compact on it.  Sure the scope is not perfect optics wise however it fits so well on that neat old rifle.

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 05:30:07 AM »
  My two main hunting rifles are a Savage 99f in 308, it wears a 2x7 Leupold. The other is  Rem 700 in 280 Rem, it wears a 4X12 Leupold.  Though I have other rifles these usually get the nodd.  My 308 is good to 300+ yards and the 280 to 450.  Both hold sub MOA and handle well.  Both are field guns not case queens.  The 6.5-06 might be!  I'm having it built for coyote and shooting across the lake when the deer come down at dusk.  I think it will weight close to ten pounds so I won't want to carry this one all day.  It will also make a great antalope gun if I get the chance to hunt them.  A higher powered Leupold variable might be the way to go!

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 11:45:02 AM »
Freezer,

My first scope was a fixed 4x leupold and it is still a fine scope.  For hunting, my favorite is a leupold 4.5 x 14 x 50.  I have shot moving deer on 4.5 but prefer to have them standing still.  You can increase or decrease the power to suit the need ;)  At 14 power it pulls those standing deer in close :D  I like to crank it up on deer that I'm not going to shoot too just for giggles ;D  It is a very good scope for varmint hunting too.  You can get by with less power but why if you don't have to.  That's my two cents worth and I'm sticking with it ;D

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline bcraig

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 01:04:54 PM »
Hi, I dont know anything about shooting varmints other than coyote but for deer size targets I prefer a fixed 4x or 6x scope and preferbly Leupold. I know the variables have made a lot of advances in durability BUT They still are not as durable as a fixed power. Plus I am definetly not going to miss a shot at a deer because I am fiddling with the power ring. I find I can use a 4x on deer very comfortably to 250 to 300 yards on deer and 6 x at 400 plus yards shots present many problems (wind drift, bullet drop ,having a steady enough rest etc)But certainly no problem seeing the deer well enough to shoot. I see some say why not have the extra power it cant hurt. Well I think it can not only from the point of view of impact changes but also Durability issues and if the looks and weight of your rifle are any issue with you then the fixed are normaly lighter and sleeker.
Just my two cents worth and your mileage may vary !