Author Topic: SPRINGFIELD G.I. MICRO Compact .45 ACP?  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Krooz

• Trade Count: (0)
SPRINGFIELD G.I. MICRO Compact .45 ACP?
« on: August 22, 2010, 06:01:47 AM »
Been itching for a .45 for a long time - just because. Anyway, yesterday I made the mistake of stopping in at a gun shop since I was in the neighborhood. Scoped out the SA GI micro compact .45 and boy did it feel good in my hand. Put a Glock in the hand as well but the SA felt like such a better fit.

Does anybody have thoughts on the Springfield? I don't see a whole lot on it but I like the size with the 3" barrel and I would think it to be quite concealable.

Right now I carry either my SP101 2 1/4" .357 on my belt or a NAA .22 mag mini revolver in my pocket. Thinking of trading in my Ruger P89 with 3 - 15 round magazines as it has lived in the gun cabinet for years (due to it's full size) and rarely ventures out except for the occasional trip to the range. I think the concealable size of the GI micro compact would allow it to see more service than the Ruger ever will.....

Pros? - Cons?

Thanks for any input......

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
Re: SPRINGFIELD G.I. MICRO Compact .45 ACP?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:50:34 PM »
Krooz- The SA Micro is a god gun.  I carried a SA 45 5" 1911-A1 loaded for yrs. as an LEO. My backup in an ankle holster was  a ParaOrd .45 Warthog 3" .45 like you are considering. I had to qualify 4 times a yr, + shot steel for tactical training extra with all my duty guns. (Certified on 6 different 45s).  My SA full size was utterly reliable.  My PAra 3" and Detonics Combat MAster MK IV 3" all shot great w/o FTF or FTEs.  I qualified with all in the 98-100 range.  THere is lots of gun magazine hype on "short barrel" 45s not being reliable, etc ect.  I have shot Fed HST, Speer Gold Dot, WW Ranger, Rem Golden Saber, Fed 230/185 Hydrashok+ and WW Ranger RA45TP(the Black Talon +P) without incident in any of my guns. I've killed animals as big as cows (for a neighbor) and feral hogs with the 3" Detonics.  Buy it and feel safe, It will carry well in a pocket or belt/ankle holster,=.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 03:55:46 AM »
As with most things there is a learning curve to change things--just as was true for the .38super.
The really short barreled 1911's suffered thru this.
They don't react exactly like the 4 and 5 inch guns, and there were changes made in th e design too accompany these physics differences.
Ithink that most of these concerns have been weeded out----BUT----they need to be done or the weapons will not be reliable.
If a good, modern sub-compact is from a good, modern manfacture, you can trust it.
Now, as I often preach, don't trust it to a mag or two and say it is reliable---shoot the snot out and have, or make, corrections as the experience dictates.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:01:46 PM »
I concur with Williamlayton. Krooz.  Shoot the pants off it, most w/ 230 FMJ which is cheaper, to break it in then at LEAST 100 rds of your preferred carry load after break in, to confirm the reliability.