Author Topic: The BC Colt is back in the house...  (Read 1388 times)

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
The BC Colt is back in the house...
« on: August 22, 2010, 04:33:34 PM »
Well it's been a long road fighting with H&R and Davidson's since April 16th this year, but I finally received a brand new Colt Carbine.  This one has much nicer finish and figure in the stocks and the chamber appears to be much closer to spec.  I can't wait to get her out tomorrow or Tuesday and see how the new one shoots.  Hopefully, the brass expansion will be much less significant too.  8) 

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: The BC Colt is back in the house...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:35:37 PM »
Very nice looking. Man I'm drooling here and want one bad.
What was your issue with your rifle? -g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 04:30:58 AM »
Sweet gun!  I had a revolver once with oversized chambers.  The brass came out looking more like footballs!  So I know how frustrating that can be.  Glad it worked out for you.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline 450mar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 06:50:27 AM »

I just ordered one should be here anyday,is this a common problem for this rifle?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 10:11:01 AM »
Yes, as I have been reading it is a common problem with them, enough so to keep me from buying one. The same as when the early .44 Mags had oversize bores, I wanted one but waited until the new ones came out with the problem corrected. That meant I had to get an extractor instead of my preferred ejector but at least the bore diameter is correct. Hopefully H&R will address to problem of the oversize or egg shaped chambers in the .45 LC's in the future. I also have read and understand it is usually not a problem with moderately loaded cases or most factory ammo, it usually shows up when the load is increased and the case stretches because of the increased chamber pressure and does not come back to size....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 10:17:15 AM »
Would reaming to 454 Casull or 460 S&W help/fix this problem?  Cases are much stronger.
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 01:49:58 PM »
I don't have one (yet), just relaying what I have read here. I think that is a solution that several here may have done....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 04:10:05 PM »
Woot!  Shot 10 rounds this afternoon and out of the box was hitting dirt clods the size of my fist at 100 yards (freshly plowed field).  Didn't have time to set up targets and group, but was really a test anyway.  The chamber is PERFECT!!  Brass expansion from sized to fired was less than 5 thousandths and zero extraction issues.  Iron sights out of the box were dead on too!  Took a bit of fighting, but I'm glad I bought it from Davidson's as they didn't stop until it was right, although it took a few nudges.  lol

***edit***

Oh, missed the original issue question.  The first gun I received from Davidson's was dead accurate and I really liked it until I attempted to reload the brass.  I guess I just wasn't paying attention, because as 44man stated, it was making them into near footballs.  It was blowing out over 25 thousandths and it was visibly obvious.  It was so extreme, they couldn't be resized until I purchased a Lee Carbide deluxe set.  Still, I knew it would shorten brass life and so I called Davidson's.  They said no problem, return the gun to the dealer and they'd ship me a new one which I got a week later.

I took that gun out and it wasn't grouping really well and was a little loose on lock-up and still blew the brass out some, except, where the first gun blew it out at the rear, so extraction still worked, this one blew it out in the middle.  Thus I had to break it over my knee some to get the shell to come out on heavier loads, while lighter loads were just difficult to open the action on.  I was peeved and called the dealer and he and Davidson's ask me to please contact H&R to see if they would repair it since it seemed like a common issue and I did.  H&R said to send the gun and they'd review it.

After FOUR weeks, I finally got a call that went something like this, "Mr. McNeal we're sorry about your gun, what caliber do you want?"  I said, ".45 Colt of course."  Their reply was, "You'll have to pick a different caliber, because we're not making that model any more."  To which I yelled, "What! Since when does you not making the barrel excuse you from honoring your warranty?  I bought a .45 Colt because I shoot a .45 Colt pistol and want to use the same round!"  Long story short, they said pick a different caliber or we'll mail it back to you and I said yes do that please.

When my dealer heard it he was livid and said he'd get with Davidson's again.  So when he called Davidson's they said would he prefer a different caliber.  To which I replied no again.  I then told them that I did have a carbide resizing die and rather then keep the one which was binding so bad, I'd prefer them to ship the original one back and they agreed.  Then 4+ weeks later again, I got a call from my dealer and he stated that they couldn't get that gun after all and guess what, I'd have to pick a different caliber because they were no longer going to stock that model.  I told him that I'd just come and get that one and figured I'd take it to a smith to open up the rear a bit so it wouldn't bind, but I was ticked.

After I picked up my gun, I checked their website and low and behold there was over 100 still in stock!  So I revved up my typing muscles and let Davidson's have a nice email.  Once Corporate got that, about 3 days later (last Thursday) my dealer called me and ask if I'd bring it back in and I ask why.  He stated that Davidson's had shipped me a new one that they thought would work and he'd need the old one to return, so I did.  Yesterday the new one got here (actually Saturday, but he forgot to call until yesterday) and I picked her up.  Nice thing is it has better stocks and very good tight lock-up.  You can barely see a glimpse of light along the chamber.  It has a nicer false case hardened patina also, so now you have the whole story.  ;)

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 04:32:01 PM »
That is some nice wood ya got on that one!  My first one has a large chamber, the second one is fine.  If ya want one go ahead and get one, they seem to have worked out the issue.  I just worked on my extractor until it would let the brass come out, the hotter loads go in the new one now.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 07:37:27 AM »
I haven't had a brass problem on mine, I got a good one!  I don't remember this being a problem after the .45 colt came out either.  Only receintly has this came up.  This one is so much fun, I chance it and buy another if I didn't have this one.  Try it, you will love the caliber.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline DCmauser

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 02:18:20 PM »
I was able to pick-up my H&R CR Carbine (one the 99+) last weekend; it is an HY from Davidson's.
I forget just what "CR" in CR Carbine stands for.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
They should put that stock set on the 357's and 44's. They'd have the good looks without the problems of the 45.

Spanky

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 11:10:43 PM »
FYI on my short outing to the range.  It was spot on right outta the box and is doing pretty good out to 100 yards.  All fired brass is so close to specifications, it'll slide right into my New Model Blackhawks very spec. cylinders without even resizing.  8)  Groups haven't been spectacular yet, but I was using up some pistol loads, but it really seems to eat up the XTP's.  Got 2 1" groups from those, but the leads were all 3"+, so back to the drawing board on the lead rounds.  Course the barrel's only had 20 rounds through it, so might still need some more breakin' in.  8)  Tomorrow's reloading day finally, with no other plans, except maybe some SHOOTing also.  ;)

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 04:37:32 AM »
Would reaming to 454 Casull or 460 S&W help/fix this problem?  Cases are much stronger.

I did not realize I even had the problem until the chamber was reamed to 454.  The higher pressure round brought it out inspite of the thicker brass.  reamer did not even touch the oversized part of the chamber.  The once fired brass was distinctly and visibly bulged.

Offline 45LCshoooter

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 07:08:57 PM »

I did not realize I even had the problem until the chamber was reamed to 454.  The higher pressure round brought it out inspite of the thicker brass.  reamer did not even touch the oversized part of the chamber.  The once fired brass was distinctly and visibly bulged.

Yep, same case size, pressure makes the difference. A wildcat with even a slightly bigger case would make these barrels useful, but what would that be? 45-70 case shortened (to prevent factory loads with .458 bullets) and maybe even given straight sides and a shoulder or even a .500 necked down. Both would take a standard NEF extractor but custom reamer and dies makes for an expensive fix.
All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 02:04:29 PM »
If nothing else, I learned from this that if I have a problem with a gun bought from Davidson's and they suggest that I return it to the manufacturer, I'll just tell them I'll send it to them and they can make it right. Let them deal with the problem.
BTW, I checked all my brass and no problems with my .45 Colt carbine.
Don

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 03:30:29 PM »
Yep, and grats on the good one out the door.  8)