Author Topic: quick question  (Read 415 times)

Offline bert-nc

• Trade Count: (0)
quick question
« on: August 24, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »
I am getting ready to put a band around the barrel of my cannon. Attempting to make something similiar to a lyle life saving type cannon.

when having the lathe work done, was unable to get the bore drilled as deep as wanted, thus causing some problems with placement of fuse hole and band. the barrel is drilled to 1 inch diameter, for a length of 7.5 inches. no distinct powder chamber. in general where should the fuse hole be located in the "powder chamber"?  hope this makes some type of sense!

thanks

bert-nc

attached pic is what I would like for it to look like, however my cannon will be a ROUGH Resemblance!!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: quick question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 03:45:57 PM »
in general where should the fuse hole be located in the "powder chamber"?

As far to the rear as possible commensurate with properly piercing the powder bag.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 05:00:05 PM »
For safe strength, I'm assuming with a 1" bore and no powder chamber that you have a 3" diameter tube.  If not, you will want to add the powder chamber.

Drill the fuse  hole at the back, as George has indicated.  Come forward just a whisker, so that the drill doesn't break by being right at the rounded transition between the inside walls and the bottom of the bore.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline bert-nc

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 05:16:03 PM »
For safe strength, I'm assuming with a 1" bore and no powder chamber that you have a 3" diameter tube.  If not, you will want to add the powder chamber.

in fact the tube is actually 3.5 inch diameter.

bert-nc