Author Topic: fun load  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
fun load
« on: December 23, 2002, 11:59:27 PM »
playing with the .32 birdshead and found that the little tumble lubed lee wadcutter ahead of 1 grian of bullseye makes a fun little load it is as quiet if not quieter then a .22 and shoots to the same point of aim at 20 feet as my heavy load does at 20 yards just the ticket for plinking around the house or out in the pole barn.
blue lives matter

Offline The Blade

• Trade Count: (0)
That .32
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2002, 02:38:20 AM »
Lloyd,

That .32 is a fun little gun, no matter what you fire through it.  I like your idea of subsonic loads for this gun.

I've been shooting the RCBS 98 grain semi-wadcutter (tumble lubed, of course) through mine lit off by a dose of WW231.  The velocity of my load is somewhere around 1050 fps, and it's deadly accurate.  I haven't figured out what to do with this gun, so I just keep shooting it at the range.

Recently, we had a large opossum take up residence in our garage.  I mean he was GROWN!  The creature had to have weighed over 20 pounds, and when held up by the tip of his tail, he drug the ground when my hands were even with my shoulders.   He made his den in my cardboard box of wheelweights.

I snuck up on him with a 22/45 loaded with CB caps and put one through the back of his head.  You should have seen that dude squirm!

Looking back on the situation, the .32 with light loads would have been perfect here, as I had to cycle the action of the 22 semi-auto by hand inbetween shots (I ended up shooting him 4 times.)

That feller's fang teeth were easily an inch long.

Have a merry Christmas!

The Blade

Offline Loader 3009

• Contributor
That Possum
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2002, 09:53:57 AM »
You're a fisherman, too, ain'tcha, Blade?  I can just tell.
Don't believe everything you think.

Offline RBak

Re: That Possum
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2002, 03:31:54 AM »
Quote from: Loader 3009
You're a fisherman, too, ain'tcha, Blade?  I can just tell.

If he ain't, he should be. All the "ear marks" of a fine Fisherman. On the other hand I have to say a Possum can get butt ugly in a micro second. No matter how big he is, or what you just shot him with. And, if you are on the receiving end of that nastly little feller he does look pretty big. But now those "fangs"??? :roll:
Russ
Vegetarian........ Old indian word for lousy shot.

Offline hubbard

fun load
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2002, 04:27:33 AM »
i used to live in an old farm house that was visited from time to time by a possum. never figured out how he was getting in my house, but he would wake me up at night prowling around in my  kitchen.  i baited up a large have-a-heart trap with sardines. his tail was so long that the door wouldn't completely close, but it slowed him long enough for me to get off  a lucky shot from my k38 loaded with 3.1 gr. of 231 under a 148 gr. wadcutter. this possum was in the 15 - 20 lb range. didn't have any scales handy or a measuring stick but he had  a long set of front teeth approaching an inch. i had a 22 pistol loaded with cb caps but i was afraid i would just make him mad if i shot him with them.

Offline RBak

fun load
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2002, 04:52:44 AM »
I found a Cow Elk, that had been brought down by winter kill, in Northern Idaho a few years back. It was about mid May and the snow was still heavy in patches but this old gal was laying out in the middle of a nice meadow in the sun.
My partner and I walked over to check it out and stood around BS'ng. for a bit when he decided to roll this thing over. Well, when he did, there must have been a half dozen Possums inside that carcass, each a little bit bigger than the next, and each a little bit madder than the other.  It is a wonder that one of us didn't get shot when those ugly things came out. Pieces of Possum, and rotten Elk, was flying everwhere.  They didn't take kindly to having their food, and home I guess,  taken away from them.  And they were absolutely nasty about it.
My partner and I still joke, and talk about the "all mighty charge" the Possums put on.
God was indeed in a terrible mood when He made the Possum. Or, who knows? He just may have a sense of humor.
Russ
Vegetarian........ Old indian word for lousy shot.

Offline The Blade

Giant Possums
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2002, 01:13:09 AM »
Yeah, I fish alot.  But I NEVER lie...

When I was growing up, my dad told me a million times to quit exaggerating so much.

The Blade