Author Topic: deer cart  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Mike357

• Trade Count: (0)
deer cart
« on: December 03, 2003, 01:07:32 PM »
Has anybody used a two wheel hand truck to carry deer out the woods.  Thought of building a one wheel carrier , but have seen cheap hand trucks with air filled tires and thought that may be better any ideas?

Offline BH

deer cart
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 01:58:20 PM »
Mike,

Have a little advice for what it's worth.

1. I've never tried a hand truck but would think the small wheel size would be be a real pain in the butt in rough terain, plowed fields, etc.

2.  Don't even think about a single wheel cart unless you're going to have smooth straight running.  You'll kill yourself trying to keep a 200 lb deer balanced over that wheel in rough going.  Been there, done that with a friends cart.

3.  I built a two wheel cart a number of years ago out of some scrap tubing and one of the boy's discarded 24" bikes and it has worked very well.  But you can get nice light weight carts now days for around $100 and if you have to buy the materials to make one you'll probably spend more than that doing it youself.

However if you have access to some scrap tubing, wheels and can weld I could post some pictures of mine to give you some ideas.   You might have to wait a few days though as first gun season starts this Saturday and I WILL be somewhat occupied.

Bob
It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
deer cart
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 02:56:38 PM »
Idea for a now forum on G.B.  
Pictures and plains of the things you have made for shooting and hunting   :D

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
deer cart
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 03:25:49 AM »
I have used a two-wheel hand truck (dolly) for several years. It works just fine. It needs to have at least 8" diameter tires, though; the bigger the better. This year I built removable extension handles out of two four-foot 2x2s and a metal strap so I can pull it behind me like a hand wagon. These handles worked great in tests, but I haven't used them in the field yet. Is not as portable and lightweight as the fold-up carts you can buy, but it works dandy hauling through brush, weeds, tall grass, etc.; even in gummy mud it is not too bad. I use it when conditions are too wet to drive in with a vehicle. You must be aware of the low ground clearance between the tires and choose a path that won't hang you up in that way. It beats the living hell out of dragging for sure! 8)
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
deer cart
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 06:34:30 AM »
Rickyp sez:

Idea for a new forum on G.B.
Pictures and plains of the things you have made for shooting and hunting

That's sorta what the Old Injun Tips and Tricks forum is all about. It is the current place for all such tips and ideas you have.

I have a  Warren & Sweat Mule I've had for a number of years. Nice hard working two wheel cart. I've hauled some pretty heavy loads on it and it has held up nicely. I think I paid about $200 for mine but I've seen them lately for around half that.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Old Cane

• Contributor
    • http://ee.1asphost.com/OldCane/
deer cart
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 08:05:09 PM »
I have a 4 wheeled cart. Well, ok, it's really a Massey Ferguson.

Offline rickyp

deer cart
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 03:52:41 AM »
how do you get that big old noisy thing in the woods to get your deer with out spooking every other animal in the woods want about steap hills how does it og um and dowm them with trees all around?

My friend has a 400 CC 4 wheeler and it will go almost any place we hint to pull the deer out but that is not always an option

Offline Old Cane

• Contributor
deer cart
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2003, 04:04:13 AM »
I hunt the roadbeds on my place. Nothing steep.

how does it og um and dowm them

Very well.

Offline rickyp

deer cart
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2003, 05:12:40 AM »
you got me I didn't proof read and spell check before i posted :D

Offline AllenRead

deer cart
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2003, 05:48:45 AM »
Wonder when some brilliant tree stand designer comes up with a combination tree stand / wheeled cart?

Offline Old Cane

• Contributor
deer cart
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2003, 07:39:30 AM »
Sounds like a project for the membership.

Offline rickyp

deer cart
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2003, 08:09:14 AM »
they already have that. You can get a set of wheels for your ladder stand and tree lounge has a set of wheels or there stands

If you can weld it would be very easy to weld a piece of round stock to the sides of a ladder stand and use a set of the large push mower wheels

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
deer cart
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2003, 10:18:55 AM »
Wonder when some brilliant tree stand designer comes up with a combination tree stand / wheeled cart?

They already have, a ladder stand with a wheel kit.

I have a Warren and Sweat Mule and have pulled deer over 250# out and so far we destroyed both wheels and they sent me heavy duty ones that held up and then the axle bent. Fixed axle bending and had to come up with better cotter pins to hold the wheels on in place of their torsion clips. Seems to be beefed up enough now to haul deer out with no problems and it beats dragging or poleing all to pieces.

woods
PUT GOD FIRST
Shoot Straight - Shoot Often - Shoot Smokeless - Shoot Savage!

Offline rickyp

deer cart
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2003, 11:49:20 AM »
250 LB deer. them are some big deer. most of them around me are around 100 and 150 is big

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
deer cart
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2003, 11:53:48 AM »
My W&S Mule has sure held up under heavier loads with no problems at all and on some tough terrain that I was sure was gonna tear it apart. No problems with anything on it so far.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
deer cart
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2003, 01:27:42 AM »
The beefed up wheels they sent me ended the wheel and spoke bending episodes and the torsion clips they use to attach wheels came off and got lost in the first real brush we drug it thru. The deer that went about 250# was an exception as we didn't want to dress it near the bedding area(it attracts coyotes for days even after everythings eaten) so we pulled him out undressed for a ways. Most of our bigger deer go between 200-280# dressed much like the Canadian deer. Our cut-overs are pretty severe or so the folks that come up here from away tell me.

Ricky.....used to live in Md and know what you mean about deer weight down there. Once they're eat the horns are all that last and they can get big on any deer.

PUT GOD FIRST

Offline rickyp

deer cart
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2003, 02:57:30 AM »
we didn't want to dress it near the bedding area(it attracts coyotes for days even after everythings eaten)

this  could make some good hunting after deer season anything to spend more time in the woods

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
deer cart
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2003, 05:30:13 AM »
There are some very clear differences between the pictured cart and my personal W&S Mule cart.

Mine has a square tube in place of the round tube connecting the two ends at each side. Mine has a threaded HD axle and the wheels are held on with a large nut and washers.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
deer cart
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2003, 07:27:39 AM »
I agree Ricky......except we were right in the middle of deer season and I was hoping to put my boy on the big one that was hanging in the area.

Bill.....I bought mine in 1998 and have went thru several upgrades from W&S as we damaged different parts. Is yours newer vintage? Sounds like the threaded axle is a good idea and those dumb torsion clips were probably a short lived idea that probably brought them a lot of grief from frustrated hunters. In that pic we have just lost the torsion clips and that round piece holding the wheel on facing is my keychain ring used in desperation to avoid walking a mile out to the truck!

Just goes to show that Necessity is truly the mother of invention.

woods
PUT GOD FIRST

Offline grrdt

deer cart
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2003, 05:20:29 PM »
personally, I don't have anything against dragging my deer , though maybe as I get older , I will want a kart. 8)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
deer cart
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2003, 06:56:11 PM »
No I think mine might be older than that. Not sure if I can come up with a purchase date on it or not. I know I was using it in '97 and I think maybe '96 also. Maybe before that. Kinda hard to recall exactly but for sure mine is older than yours. Pretty sure I paid $300 for mine way back when I bought it. I've been wondering how they've gotten the price down on it so much. Maybe by cheapening the quality.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
deer cart
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2003, 02:44:10 AM »
I've been wondering how they've gotten the price down on it so much. Maybe by cheapening the quality.

Sadly thats probably the case as I payed half of what you payed and they are certainly doing something to lower the cost. I do believe we have managed to get it beefed to the point where it will live under the strain of loading out the larger deer we always hope to shoot.

woods
PUT GOD FIRST

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
deer cart
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2003, 05:13:23 AM »
I'd probably have to put all the stuff I take to the woods with me and at least a couple of our small Bama deer on mine to even begin to load it down. But we used it once to haul the makings for a 16' tall ladder stand way back in some rough country. No way to really know the weight of building supplies we piled up on it but I'd guess it had to have exceeded 400 pounds easily. It sure got twisted and turned and tilted and drug acorss some rough stuff and it showed no signs of concern. We even turned the sucker over once trying to get across a log and it all held together fine.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
deer cart
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2004, 12:27:12 PM »
G.B., after asking a similar question earlier in the year, I bought one just as you say your's is. The price was around $150 shipped from Cabela's. Very heavy duty, I am very pleased with it. Wouldn't go hunting deer or anything heavy, without it again.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline rpseven

• Avid Poster
deer cart
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2004, 12:55:13 PM »
My wife bought me one several years ago and I wouldn't take $400 for it. It is worth every penny of  what she gave for it and it was under $300. I have hauled deer out with it, I have hauled my deer stands in with it. They work great. Some places I hunt I can't use my atv so I use it instead and it sure does save on the old back and sure keeps you from sweating to much. Oh, I have also have had three back surgeries. If you get one I don't think you will regret it. The one I have folds up and is real compact and light.

Offline rickyp

????? about the deer carts
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2004, 03:09:37 AM »
what do you guys do with it once you take it in the woods with you?

If you put it under your stand it may spook the game and if you put it a few hundred yards down the trail someone may come along and get themselves a new cart.

can you put the deer on the cart then load up your stand on top of the deer?

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
deer cart
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2004, 05:59:19 AM »
rickyp, I'm fortunate in that my pickup has eyes in the bed. I chain it in the bed of my truck until I need it. My buddy takes his into the woods when first going in. Mine is listed at 550# so I can load it down pretty good. Believe me, it's the only way to get deer out of rough terrain. We drug one for a hour and a half this year before we got smart and bought these things. Hope this helps.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
deer cart
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2004, 08:04:08 AM »
Mine is fully camoflaged to include the hubs and spokes of the wheels. I generally just push it into a few bushes within a few yards of my stand where it is well hidden. When gun hunting nothing is likely to get that close to me to see it before I've decided to shoot or not shoot. So far it hasn't spooked anything gun or bow hunting.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline rpseven

• Avid Poster
deer cart
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2004, 01:49:43 AM »
I haul mine right under the tree with me and cover it up with leaves and tree limbs and stuff. Sometimes when me and my other buddies use it we haul it to a certian point with our stuff on it and then we will hide behind a dead fall or something and carry are stands in the rest of the way. Or like I said earlier mine folds up so compact I can put it in the back seat of my truck. They are really nice and they do come in handy. Some of these carts are built high off the ground I will say this I have found this out if you do buy one get one that has the  wheels built close to the ground. This being, when you have it loaded with something and you pull it over something like a small log or something it wont tip over.

Offline rickyp

deer cart
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2004, 01:05:20 PM »
nother dumb question.

how do you load the deer into the cart by your self?
I do not always have a frient that can help me with the deer