Author Topic: Richard (thelionspaw)...  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Richard (thelionspaw)...
« on: August 25, 2010, 07:51:50 PM »
 Guys,

Just read a message from Richard. He had a fire that damaged ~1/2 of his home this past Sunday. Thankfully, he and his Wife Pat were not hurt. They'll be out of the house for a while. He sent the message from a library computer and says he won't be in contact for some time.

He appeared to be in good spirits and ended the message with...

"Richard, The Singed & Scorched"
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Richard (thelionspaw)...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 07:57:42 PM »
If you hear from him ask him if there is anything he needs.

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 08:34:36 PM »
Richard, if you get a chance to see this, glad you and your wife were not hurt! Now you have another project...rebuild! Good Luck! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 12:33:58 AM »
Good to know he's ok.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 01:49:51 AM »
If you hear from him ask him if there is anything he needs.

Richard -  Make a list - get it to us - we're here to support you!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 05:12:58 AM »
Glad to hear no one hurt, am keeping you both in my prayers.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 05:31:39 AM »
Richard,
I wish all the luck to you.  Rebuilding can be trying at times.  Let us know if there is anything we can do.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 11:10:06 AM »
I told Richard (The Fire Starter) not to play with matches... All kinding aside... I send you my best wishes Old Crow..

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 01:09:02 AM »

*&^(*%, Richard, that's TOO MUCH smoke and flame!

Keep us posted.    :'(
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 06:24:20 PM »
 Goes without saying that when anyone's house burns it's a major bummer. In Richard's case though, he and his Wife designed and built their home themselves. And as we've seen, they filled it with all kinds of rare treasures.

He did say that ~1/2 of the house was damaged "one way or another." Let's hope that means more smoke and water damage than actual burning. With winter not far off, it would be good if everything were set right ASAP.

Let's hope he'll be able to stop by here and post some positive news soon...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 05:12:52 AM »
sorry to hear it ..... :'(
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 06:28:06 AM »
Sad news ,  But no life loss is the upside. Every thing else is "stuff"

Best wishes for a speedy rebuild/recovery .
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 06:34:44 AM »
Was the "Lions Paw" spared the flames?  Does anyone know?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 07:06:12 AM »
     The aftermath must be terrible to look at for Richard and his wife, but if you have life and faith, hope does emerge from the ashes of despair. Besides, they are New Yorkers and New Yorkers are not quitters!  Mike and I know he will be back and I sure hope he knows how much we miss him.

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 09:46:15 AM »
Hah!
I'm in the lie-berry on their computer because I'm not going to be on-line for a looooong time. We are fine as is the Lion's Paw which was/is in the garage.  The house will take several months to be put straight.  I always told my wife that I wished I could chain saw the place in half because it was too big for the two of us. So, it's only temporary but we have half of a house to use. We're sleeping in it and going out to eat.  One electric outlet works and we have the place strung with line-cords.  The well is pumping; the oil burner works and the fridge works. We hauled the contents of a crammed full 6' chest freezer to a friends empty freezer, a few town over.

Investigators say it was electrical & rain associated. I say it was spontanious combustion but who am I? :-\

Victor almost got his way with the image he posted because I am a "heritic" ;D

M&T:more betterer than "a New Yorker", I was born on BROOKLYN and youse can't get no tougher den dat! 8)

O.K. so here's how it went:  I was at my desk Sunday @7:30 P.M. and Pat was seated on the couch in the library doing her NYT crossword puzzle and glanced over my shoulder at the 19the c. 4' octagon stained glass window we "HAD" on the rosewood wall :'(  She said, "I see flames flickering beyond the window".

I ran out the side door into a sheet of flames while I called 911 for the VFD as she lugged the 2 fire extinguishers to me and then ran around the back to wheel the hose reel to me and hooked it to the tap.

While I fought the fire, she led our dog to the car and then drove the car into the field away from the house to keep the hound safe and clear the area for the fire trucks.

Back into the house she went from the safe side and emerged with the most importand things. Her make-up case in one hand ::) the household file in the other, my pills under one arm and a loaf of her fresh baked blueberry bread under the other arm :-\ (we had just picked over 9 lbs of berries).

Later, I asked her, "Why the bread?".  She said, "Who knows where we will be tonight when we get hungry?".

Oh well!  Pat just retired after 20 years in Special Education and at the dinner, her co-teacher said, "Pat was always calm and steady and never got excited. She used the same tone, whether she was saying 'turn in your homework' or 'Put down that desk and don't throw it.'  Her make-up was always perfect, never a hair out of place and dress like she stepped out of a magazine".

So gentlemen, we will survive and do nicely because of my wife.

Thank you all (oops!) (y'all) for your concerns and wishes. We here at GB are like a family; aren't we?

BTW Tim; my Infantry training never left me. I took a helmet bath after it was over. ;D

I was going to try to finish my build in time for the calendar but kaa-kaa happens.

When people ask me what happened, I tell them, "It was terrorists. The Tea-Baggers had heard that I voted for O'Bama and burned a cross on my lawn but the fire spread".

Thanks again and for now everyone. I'll try to get back ASAP.

One thing is for sure though; The BP is being removed from the garage and going into a bunker I'll dig away from everything.

Richard The Unchanged
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 10:43:32 AM »
Hah!
Richard The Unchanged

Not even a mild impulse to reconsider eternity? Do you have any idea how much an airline ticket and car rental can set a missionary back these days? :) ;D :D

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 12:52:04 PM »
One electric outlet works and we have the place strung with line-cords. 

Investigators say it was electrical & rain associated. I say it was spontanious combustion but who am I? :-\
Be careful with that - really don't want to finish the job! ;)

It's good that you are fine and in good spirits!

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 01:06:05 PM »
its nice to hear that all 4 of you are in a good shape
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »
Victor almost got his way with the image he posted because I am a "heritic" ;D

Dang. I was hoping you'd forgot about that. I didn't literally want you to become "Richard the Crispy."  ;D

Sure glad you and Pat are doing okay.

Victor

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 09:47:12 AM »
Bump
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 08:00:37 AM »
Richards profile say's he was online today and he changed his avatar recently....don't be shy now Richard, you haven't been before.  Speak up and tell us how recovery is going. You are missed...

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 05:38:47 PM »
Yeah, come on now, Richard, show yourself! How are things going now? All re-built? We are all looking forward to chatting with you again! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 07:36:50 PM »
I just had to examine your new avatar after I read about the change; at first glance I thought it was "Bullwinkle," and then I realized that in all probability it isn't. :D