Author Topic: nikon is great  (Read 802 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
nikon is great
« on: August 26, 2010, 01:39:51 AM »
I had a pair of 8x40  atb binocs. that were probably 15 years old and had been used hard for all of that time period. I noticed out hunting the other day that they wouldnt focus out at real long range (1000 yards) and sent them into nikon to have them looked at. Yesterday i got a box with a brand new pair of monarch binocs for free. Sure cant beat that for customer service! Ive allways liked this pair of binocs. and use them more then even my more expensive ones and the new pair seems even better opticaly then the old ones. Now if we could just get them to drop or at least improve there prostaff scope line id have nothing to bitch about when it came to nikon.
blue lives matter

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: nikon is great
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 03:27:41 AM »
I have to aggree the customer service I hear about is very good, I have three prostaffs and have had no issues with them and I have to aggree I would like to see one mayjor thing wit hthe prostaf scopes  is more variance with the eye relief on the leupold riflemans you get a 1.5" variance where the prostaff you get .2"

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 07:24:48 AM »
Lloyd:  I am thinking my luck in the optical world has run dry, but then again my optics have been ungraded a little this summer.

In July my 34-yearold Bushnell Spacemaster Spotting Scope dropped out of its case at the range shattering the plastic eye piece cover and busting the lip of the lens cover locking it into place.  For years I have carried the Scope in my daypack antelope and deer hunting.  It has a 20X eye piece that works great for hunting, but it is getting tougher for my old eyes to see small caliber bullet holes at the range.  I have been looking for a stronger eye piece but have not been able to find one.  I was doing a lot of walking on the two hundred yard range.

I called Bushnell support and they told me to send in the scope and they would check the parts bin and see if they could find parts that would fit.  I shipped it to Bushnell and received it back with a note saying they could not fix it.  They were offering a discount on a new Space Master  15x to 45x spotting scope with Rainguard, and fog proof at close to a 50% discount.

I had been shooting my 243 a lot and it has a Bushnell Banner (#2) with the BDC turret on it.  Recently I had been making a lot of trips to the range testing different rounds.  I was cleaning the rifle at home and the top of the BDC retention screw rubbed off.  I have the original paper work for it and the 20-year warranty has long passed. 

When I called Bushnell to accept the discount offer on the Space Master Spotting Scope I explained the problem with the BDC screw and ask if I should send the scope in.  The lady on the other end told me I could get a new BDC screw and how to remove the broken one.  Or I could get a discount on a new scope.  I needed to look at their scopes and come up with a product number.  I ordered two BDC screws and told her I would take a look at scopes.

The following week I was off the hill and took the opportunity to look at scopes.  I compared the new Trophy with the 3x9 Elite 3200.  I called up Bushnell and took their discount for the 3200.  The key to getting the discount was having a scope that needed repair.

I am happy with the service.  Many years ago I slipped backwards on a steep slope covered with frozen snow.  I bent the BDC turret on a different Bushnell Banner (#1) scope and the BDC screw broke.  The scope was still under warranty and Bushnell repaired it.  I was pleased with the service and when the opportunity presented itself I bought the second BDC Banner.  The original scope had gone from a 270 Winchester, to the 300 Savage which it was on when I slipped to the sporterized 6.5x55 Swede that my SIL now owns.  Not a high price scope but reliable and proved itself deer hunting numerous times.  Last night at a family dinner SIL said that is the rifle he is going to hunt with this season.
When Bushnell returned the old Space Master II spotting scope to me I was unable to get the broken lens cover off the scope.  I first tried freezing it over night but that did not work.  The next move was to use my rotary tool with a plastic cutting blade to carefully score the cover and cut deep enough in one location to get the blade of a screw driver into the lip of the cut.   The cold plastic cover shattered with a slight amount of pressure.
I mounted the scope on a tripod and it works just fine. 

The # 1 Banner is back on the 243 with a new BDC screw awaiting a trip to the range for testing.  Immediately after the BDC screw broke I mounted an old 4x Banner on the rifle.  I had purchased the 4-power Banner in the late sixties.  It proved worthy instate and out of state deer hunting. 

The bottomline is the discounts mean a lot to me.  As a retired old guy on a limited income I stretched to make the purchases.  The root canal and hearing aids have taken a big bite this year.  I wish they had a Bushnell warranty.  The lifetime warranty on the two scopes have a little less meaning then when I was twenty years old, but I know that Bushnell will stand behind their product.  That is from a guy who thought the old El Paso Weaver was forever!

P.S.  A couple years back I was out deer hunting with a partner and as we were driving out of the woods I spotted some deer.  I grabbed his binoculars to take a look.  I was very impressed, the binoculars were new 10X Nikons given to him by his girlfriend.  If I was in the market for new binoculars I would take a look at Nikon.  Your post regarding customer service is a big plus.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 08:00:21 AM »
my 34-yearold Bushnell Spacemaster Spotting Scope dropped out of its case at the range shattering the plastic eye piece cover and busting the lip of the lens cover locking it into place.

Some time back I had a Bushnell Spotting scope I knocked off the shooting bench breaking the adjustment ring on the eyepiece.  When I sent it back to Bushnell I had to include a check for $20 to cover return shipping.  When I called to check on it they told me told me they would fix it for X dollars, then as much as called me a liar when I said that was more then I paid for the scope new!   >:(  I had ordered it from Mid- South or Way.  I told them to send it back and I would never buy another Bushnell or associated product again.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 10:33:52 AM »
Sorry to hear about your broken spotting scope.  I was rather disappointed when mine dropped out of the case.  I always thought I would break it my daypack out hunting or falling off a bluff.  There was a little ego damage that went with dropping it.

Different generations of Bushnell products carry different warranties.  I was lucky with my old Spacemaster II regarding cost.  I still have the warranty card and it was good for twenty years.  I paid the postage to send it to Bushnell.  They did not charge me return postage, I was surprised after checking the webpage. 

When I sent my original Bushnell Banner with BDC to them for repair after my fall they did not charge me for the repair, or return postage, they replaced the rubber guard around the eye piece, included a new set of ballistic dials for the scope, and a couple other little things.  I was dealing with a guy that time.

More recently I was dealing with ladies in customer service.  One was especially helpful in telling me how to remove the broken BDC screw.

When talking to the ladies I follow the path taught by one of my instructors,” A little Honey goes further than vinegar”.    When I followed up and purchased the Elite 3200 scope I told the lady that I had my wife’s permission.  A good ice breaker; some days it works other days it does not.

But you got my attention and I checked the Limited Lifetime Warranty for my new Space Master Spotting Scope.  It says that I have to enclose a check for $10 to cover return postage.

You got me going so I checked the Elite® Limited Lifetime Warranty.  It says they will not be liable for shipping to Bushnell, but they ask not for return shipping.

Last week the lever on my Lee Auto Prime broke.  I check the price for the replacement at Lee’s on line site.  With my credit card close I called Lee and told the lady I needed a new lever for my auto prime.  I gave her the date of purchase which she did not seem concerned about, and my address.  She told me that it would be in the mail without charge.
*I noticed that Lee has come out with a new version of the auto prime with an unbreakable lever.

Link to cost of returning items to Bushnell.  Note no cost for Elite® items.
http://www.bushnell.com/global/customer-service/us-repair-services/

I believe warranties are moving targets and I hang on to warrant information.

Yesterday I went over to the local hardware store and bought a faucet.  They always tell me that if the item does not do the job return it and they will refund my money.  It is also printed on their receipt.  I cannot recall where but I purchased something in the last month from a business down the hill.  After I got home I looked at the receipt and it said if the product is defective do not return it to the store, return it to the manufacture.  It kind of burned my grits.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 06:40:48 AM »
My experience with Bushnells repair dept was simular to yours AtLaw and I too am bushnell free.........However I'm glad to hear their repair has improved. But I still have a bad taste in my wouth when it comes to bushnell products.. ;)

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 06:46:28 AM »
I have a little pair of nikon binos I use during turkey season.  I dropped them a couple of years ago and one of the lenses came loose.  They were 10+ years old and not that expensive to begin with.  I sent Nikon and email, they asked me to send them in and a week later I had a new pair.  Customer service was very good.... product quality not as much...

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 07:00:23 AM »
I love Nikon & Bushnell products.  No issues ever!
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~