Author Topic: AN EXAMPLE OF THING GONE WRONG  (Read 2098 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
AN EXAMPLE OF THING GONE WRONG
« on: August 27, 2010, 04:29:57 AM »
I stand on the soapbox often, in spouting the virtues of Sigs, well worked semi-autos---AND I still do.
I also speak often of Murphy and things happening in a nano.
It happened Tuesday---to me.
A friend of mine and I had spent the morning shooting--had fun.
I gave him my Sig p239 in .357sig too shoot out the mag--he had never shot it. I do this ever so often when I have been carrying a piece and I need to clean it. After I clean it, I put fresh ammo in until the next cleaning.
He took the weapon and fired it---the casing ejected as per normal.
The gun would not go back into battery- There was about a 1/16 of an inch gap---you could see the next round chabered but the slide would not move either way.
I could not move the slide.
Got home and called Vandenberg--he told me how to disasemble the Sig with a round in the chamber--had never had to do this with any weapon.
When I go it apart--resting on the breach between the slide and the breach was a small sliver of shell casing. It had jammed between the two pieces and locked them up.The sliver was VERY small--pealed it off with the tip of my knife.
Now you know why I want a gun you can trust--and the---sometimes--even then--YOU CAN'T.
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD

Offline shvlhead.45

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Re: AN EXAMPLE OF THING GONE WRONG
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 09:37:20 AM »
Yeah, Murphy got ya.  One day I'm going to catch that (censored words) not paying attention or asleep and I'm going to kill him.  In the mean time we must always plan for such events and train and prepare for worst case senario (sp).  Glad it happened at the range not during a lethal force encounter, for your and your friend's sake.

v/r
Shvlhead.45

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 04:58:41 PM »
Glad you figured this out in a safe manner rather than when you really needed the gun to protect yourself.  I never completely trust any of my guns.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 05:06:20 PM »
Glad it happened when you were goofing off and not when you really needed it.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 06:00:33 PM »
Glad it was on the range and not when needed.
I am sure you too will punch at Murphy guy square in the nose if you ever meet him.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 02:05:54 AM »
Yeah, that Murphy is an S.O.B. , that's for damned sure.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 05:28:24 PM »
And there you know understand why I cary a Single Action Revolver in .45 Colt for my cary gun. It goes bang every time.

Greeenriver
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline zeke08

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 03:51:07 AM »
Yep I say we get us a posse and hunt down that sorry Murphy! Glad it was in training and not in defense! Just goes to show there has only been 1 "perfect" thing ever and they nailed him to a dogwood! Anything man made is subject to failure unfortunately but that's why we train for the worst and pray for the best.
There are very few problems that can't be solved with the proper application of High Explosives!

If there is trouble let it be in my day, but let my kids have peace. Thomas Pane

NRA Life Member since 09

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 09:26:41 AM »
And there you know understand why I cary a Single Action Revolver in .45 Colt for my cary gun. It goes bang every time.

Greeenriver

The revolver is not exempt from Murphy.s law.  A primer backing out, or a bullet jumping the crimp will transform a revolver into a poor club in a second! 

Rare,------yep, but believe me, it does happen.

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 10:36:09 PM »
Nothing cannot happen--it happens when you don't expect it--when it is inconvenient.
You put the curse of Murphy on yourownself when you say your ways are infalliable.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 01:20:56 AM »
A situation such as yours is a prime example of why a BUG should always be a consideration when carrying.  Nothing like a New York Reload when TSHTF.

oldhunter

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 06:44:44 PM »
Why I carry more than one gun.  ;D

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 07:28:59 PM »
Thank you William for this post-  It is graphic example of what LEO Firearms guys try to pound in the heads of FNGs in every academy and range session.  Carry a Back-Up Gun!  You experienced a FTF that "tap/Rack/Bang" drills would not clear.  It would have required a transition to another weapon NOW. 
For every one's edification, what did Vandenburg tell you to do?

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 12:21:37 AM »
He just laughed--said have another handy.
I agree to a second weapon. In games--of all types--those that do not have a back-up often do not finish the game.
It is one thing to be penalized time in a game.
For my purpopse---and I think most here---our carrying one gun going into a Wal-Mart parking lot is a chance we take--but I do like a second in the car.
ALWAYS have an out plan.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 05:43:26 AM »
He just laughed--said have another handy.
I agree to a second weapon. In games--of all types--those that do not have a back-up often do not finish the game.
It is one thing to be penalized time in a game.
For my purpopse---and I think most here---our carrying one gun going into a Wal-Mart parking lot is a chance we take--but I do like a second in the car.
ALWAYS have an out plan.
Blessings

Nope! I always carry at least two, including into Wal Mart.  ;D One of the many reasons I love my Kel Tecs. They make it very easy to carry multiple weapons.  A 9mm with a .32 Auto back up just gives a pleasant sense of comfort. :)