Author Topic: 30/30 for larger whitetails...  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 30/30 for larger whitetails...
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2010, 06:24:48 AM »
People are so hung up these days on bullets-NBT, accubond, you name it. I've had the same Win 94 30-30 my dad gave me 50 years ago. I shoot win white box 150 grain. Whatever deer I shot (big boys or big girls) they never ran more than 50 yards. Learn how to be a good shot and you won't need to worry about ballistics.

Exactly marty. Same here.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2010, 07:12:42 PM »
 Faint memory of  an old fart Canuck
I seem to recall that Dominion/Imperial made a 160 gr load for the 30-30.  Anyone recall for sure or am I getting senile ?
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Dee

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2010, 02:25:12 AM »
I've never heard of Dominion/Imperial. Maybe they didn't sell this far south.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2010, 03:36:20 AM »
Calvin Rutstrum handloaded a 180 grain bullet and if Remington produced such a bullet or load for the .30-30, I'd be shooting that.

He killed every kind of huge critter with that load.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2010, 08:45:45 AM »
bullets over 170 grain are routinely loaded for the 30-30.  Here is a discussion link to multiple cast bullet choices and powder combinations...http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-19932.html

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2010, 08:48:29 AM »
Faint memory of  an old fart Canuck
I seem to recall that Dominion/Imperial made a 160 gr load for the 30-30.  Anyone recall for sure or am I getting senile ?

Nope but the org. load was 160 gr. The 170 and 150 came later.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2010, 08:51:08 AM »
Calvin Rutstrum handloaded a 180 grain bullet and if Remington produced such a bullet or load for the .30-30, I'd be shooting that.

He killed every kind of huge critter with that load.

??? I have shot few with a coreloc but have yet to see one not go thru ? I like silver tips myself  ;D 150's to be exact .

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2010, 01:02:29 PM »
I just finished starting my #3 grandson on handloading. He just loaded some .44 Rem Mag cartridges for hid H&R Shikari. Used 24 gr of IMR 4227.. with Hornady 240 gr XTR hollow points; should be good for about 1770 fps (about factory).
  I have found the .44 Mag to be more than adequate for big game within 100-150 yards.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline hillbill

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2010, 02:59:53 PM »
People are so hung up these days on bullets-NBT, accubond, you name it. I've had the same Win 94 30-30 my dad gave me 50 years ago. I shoot win white box 150 grain. Whatever deer I shot (big boys or big girls) they never ran more than 50 yards. Learn how to be a good shot and you won't need to worry about ballistics.
pretty hard to argue with that!i think the reasons yu see a lot of these bullet questions on here is for 2 reasons. A- for something to do, and B-because we are concerned with makeing a humane kill on the game we are targeting. nuttin more than that.

Offline Dee

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2010, 03:59:11 PM »
This is not to start an argument hillbill because I mostly agree with you on the matter, but there is nothing humane about blowing a hole thru a deer taking out his heart and lungs, one, or both. If one were actually trying to be humane we would either not hunt, or anaesthetise them before killing them. We might paint the barn pink, and call it a house, but it still smells like a barn, and is a barn.
Nature is far more cruel than we  ::), and I personally try to put them down quickly but, I am also more interested in anchoring them in the process. Head shots are humane, if there is such a thing in the art of hunting and killing. I have long since thought this political correctness of calling hunting, "harvesting" silly. It is what it is, and is as natural as your morning constitutional.
While visiting the office folks of a business that I did business with, I was once asked by a Chicagoan whom had never held a gun in his hand, "how can you kill an innocent deer that has hurt no one?" I told him "with a damn rifle".

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2010, 03:21:23 AM »
I told him "with a damn rifle".

LOL  ;D ;D ;D  Good chuckle this morning Dee.  Exactly the right answer.

I get a kick out of Marisa Tormei and Joe Pesci in "My Cousin Vinnie", which is along the same line:

Mona Lisa Vito: You're goin hunting?

Vinny Gambini: That's right.

Lisa: Why are you going hunting? Shouldn't you be out preparing for court?

Vinny: I was thinking last night. If only I knew what he knows, you know? If he'd let me look at his files; oh boy.

Lisa: I don't get it. What does getting to Trotter's files have anything to do with hunting?
Vinny: Well, you know, two guys, out in the woods, guns, on the hunt. It's a bonding thing, you know; show him I'm one of the boys. he's not gonna let me look at his files, but maybe he'll relax enough to drop his guard so I can finnesse a little infomation out of him.
[searches through his clothes]

Vinny: What am I gonna wear?

Lisa: What are ya gonna hunt?

Vinny: I don't know, he's got a lot of stuffed heads in his office.

Lisa: Heads?
[Vinny looks up at Lisa]

Lisa: What kinda heads?

Vinny: I don't know, he's got a boar, a bear, a couple of deer.

Lisa: Whoa. You're gonna shoot a deer?

Vinny: I don't know. I suppose. I mean, I'm a man's man, I could go deer hunting.

Lisa: A sweet, innocent, harmless, leaf-eating, doe-eyed little deer.

Vinny: Hey Lisa, I'm not gonna go out there just to wimp out, you know. I mean, the guy will lose respect for me, would you rather have that?

Vinny: [Lisa gets up, walks over to the bathroom and shuts the door] What about these pants I got on, you think they're O.K.?
[Looks down]

Vinny: Oh!

Lisa: [comes out of the bathroom] Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A fuckin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a (censored word) what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2010, 06:24:21 AM »

Land_Owner:

Why ja quit there?  Go ahead and post the rest of the script!!

After countless times of looking at that movie, I and still sit in front of the TV with that movie in the DVD and a silly grin on my face.   I anticipate upcoming lines, revel when they are delivered, and look forward to the next GREAT line.

I especially enjoy the entire back-n-forth between the two of them in the court as she explains why the defense is wong (or however that Brooklyn word is spelled).   

And don't get me started on the "youts".  (Again, spelling.)
"Work: The New Retirement"

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2010, 11:39:50 AM »
tm..45,  LOL.  Every "serious" discussion (about 30-30 bullets) needs a little curve ball thrown in for good measure.   ;D  Forty posts into the Thread;  :o  WHAM; see who is still awake and listening.  You KNOW you can Google the rest of the lines (or watch the DVD).  Good come-back though!    ;)

We've all done it.  Followed a discussion and suddenly some lines from a movie fit right in - or go off at a 90-degree tangent!!!  Those are the Brain-Farts of Humor that make these Forums a lively place.

Dang.  I can't think of a humorous segue back to the 30-30 bullet discussion.   >:(

Offline Mule

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 01:26:04 PM »
My deer bullet in 30-30 is Sierra 125gr FPHP.  Shoots accurately from my Marlin 336 and terminal performance is exceptional.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »
  Mike & Herb were from the 'big city'..they decided to take a few days off to go hunt big game in the Adirondacks. Trudging along, they came to a fair sized mountain and started up. About half way, they came upon a fallen log whereupon Herb says; " I'm bushed, I've got to sit down for a while".
   Herb had only sat only a couple minutes when he collapsed and fell backwards...off the log. Mike rushes over checks his breath & pulse..don't look good. He takes out his cell phone and calls the 911 dispatcher;

Dispatcher:  "This is your 911 emergency dispatcher, how can I help you" ?

Mike: " My friend has collapsed, and I think he may be dead".

Dispatcher: "Well, ... first make sure he's dead".  Dispatcher hears Mike trudgeing with phone...then a " BANG"..Mike comes back on the phone.

Mike: " OK , now what" ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2010, 03:42:14 PM »
bullets over 170 grain are routinely loaded for the 30-30.  Here is a discussion link to multiple cast bullet choices and powder combinations...http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-19932.html

I don't hunt with cast bullets unless it's something really tough like a hog.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2010, 05:22:09 AM »
I don't hunt with cast bullets unless it's something really tough like a hog.

There are times (like getting enough meat for a BBQ) when shooting multiple hogs with a 22LR, front of the head in "X" between ears and eyes, steady rest, 25 yards max, is an alternative to sending the whole sounder back into the deep woods at the report of a larger caliber.  Tough, big, old boars and really large sows though need an accurate head shot and ALL LOADINGS for the 30-30 WCF rifle are sufficient.  But then I am not stalking and shooting.  If you are, the tendency toward large for caliber rounds (cast or jacketed) is sound.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2010, 08:35:06 AM »
Yep, my stalking days for two or four legged things have been over/finished for years. :-[  :'(

Dee"
 While living in the US of A I had never heard of Dominion/Imperial ammo either, I don't even think it was imported.
BTW as far as as I know  those Co's were the first to use a plastic tip called a Sabre Tip. Their RN's were called Kling Cor's( spelling is probably wrong).

Offline Dee

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 02:42:01 PM »
I figured that scatterbrain. I have been in the 3030 business for 53 year (you'd think I'd have more than one by now) and that's one co I had not seen..

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2010, 05:07:56 AM »
Dee if their rifle ammo is like Canidian shotgun shells then you haven't missed anything.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2010, 06:56:50 AM »
Yep, they went out of business with Sporting ammo, although they were much cheaper then US imports, the quality started going downhill rapidly. I still have a box or so ( sold in packs of 50) for some of their plastic FP. Next time I get the camera I'll post some pixes of them.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2010, 10:31:26 AM »
Seems like last I saw of dominion/Imperial ..CIL (Canadian Industries Ltd) was when some of the guys still had those old Stevens rolling block .32 rimfires and CIL were the only ones we could get around here..

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »
Man, those pixes bringback memories. Another hard to get US ammo was for the 303 British.