Author Topic: Handi headspace  (Read 714 times)

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Handi headspace
« on: August 27, 2010, 06:25:16 PM »
How common is it for a handi to have .009-.013 space from the brass head to the barrel face?  Just wondering if they all are somewhat loose on their tolerance.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Handi headspace
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 06:37:50 PM »
How about a little more info??

Spanky

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 06:38:35 PM »
my 45-70 barrel had to have the extractor shimmed to give the proper headspace before it would fire .
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 06:41:58 PM »
My new .45 Colt BC is so tight you can barely see light!  :o
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 06:55:38 PM »
I bought one used and sent it to the factory approved shop to have it checked out and the shop owner said that these break actions are supposed to work with slightly more headspace than other type actions. I believe he said up to nine thousandths was within tolorance for a handi. I don't know anything other than that about Handi headspace. None of my others have that much, but he was where H&R told me to send it.
thejanitor

Offline Crow Buster

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 07:10:26 PM »
but he was where H&R told me to send it.
thejanitor

Curious as to which approved warranty center you sent it to.  It wasn't Williams in Michigan by any chance, was it?

CB

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 07:59:34 PM »
I'm not talking about the gap between the barrel and standing breech.  Just the extra depth a cartridge falls into the barrel.  It could be flush with the barrel face, which most handi's are not.  Just checked the depth of the cartridge head to barrel face on my 45lc and it is .012, seems a lot.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 08:01:38 PM »
I think you are in the ball park for factory headspace, it is more than you would generally like to have, but if you add up all the tolerances involved you can get there easily.  Are you having a problem?  SAAMI rim thickness is never even close to what factory brass has, so when you add up the thin rims and a little extra when they chamber it you get what you have.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 08:07:33 PM »
I hope I'm not Larry.  Just reamed it to 454 casull and was extra careful not to cut the rim even though the reamer actually enlarged the diameter of the rim cut slightly.  I think the casull brass has a thinner rim than the lc brass.  I have not shot it yet.  I had and still have some trouble with FTF out of my 357 max after reaming.  Shimmed the extractor and it seemed to help, may need a little more.

Bobby

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 08:34:41 PM »
Shim the extractor until the action will just close and lock up completely with a round chambered.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 10:56:27 AM »
Got to shot the 454 casull today, no FTF problems.  It shot about 4-5 inches lower than the 45lc's that I had it zeroed with.  Re shimmed the 357max, no Fail To Fire issues with it either!!!  So I'm all smiles ;D ;D ;D

I think this little bc carbine is going to be the go to gun for this deer season.

Bobby

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 11:43:49 AM »
At what range was you shooting?  I would have thought the 454s would have been higher.  Were they reloads or factories?  If they are reloads I would try tweeking the loads to where they hit the same place.  That could be very important when you get out there for Deer Hunting and you had your sights set for the 454s and you find all you got are 45s.  Both are adiquate for Whitetail anyway.  Like Elmer Keith said, "Big hole in and big hole out, makes for lots of blood leaking out".
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 12:01:14 PM »
The Colt loads are slower, so they're in the barrel longer and due to muzzle rise, will hit higher, it's very common.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 12:36:30 PM »
Sourdough,

Shootin at 50 today.  All are handloads.  Had the LCs zeroed at 100, fairly hot loads.  The 454s were shot at 50 and they were on the mild end.  34grs of aa1680 topped with 250gr xtp.  I'll wait on a better day and zero the 454s in at 100 and leave it there for deer season.  May shoot some LCs after season is over.

Bobby

Offline NFG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 02:02:19 PM »
You might also try different brands of brass...all brass isn't created equal, you'de be surprised how much variation in dimensions there is in different brands.  

You could pick up an extra 3 to ? thou rim thickness between brands.

I've made several gauges, drilled or bored holes in a piece of alum or steel large enough to allow the case to sit on the rim or belt, then measure the rim/belt thickness with a depth mic.  I set my belted magnum headspace this way in my Savages, to match the brand of brass I will use...belts can run from 0.200" to 0.230"...SAAMI is 0.220", just for one example off the top of my head.  Doing it this way gives much longer case life for certain.

I don't have any 45LC or 454 brass or I would check it out and post it.

Luck

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 07:56:34 PM »
but he was where H&R told me to send it.
thejanitor

Curious as to which approved warranty center you sent it to.  It wasn't Williams in Michigan by any chance, was it?

CB

No CB- it was in southern MN -thejanitor