Author Topic: breach seating bullits  (Read 755 times)

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
breach seating bullits
« on: August 28, 2010, 02:54:20 PM »
I saw a schuetzen match today. all the shooters that I saw were shooting breach seated bullits. they would seat the bullit into the rifling, and then load a charged case behind it. their claim was that it would shrink groups by half [ over fixed ammo]. my question is has anyone tried this in a handi? I got an invitation to try the BC. and am wondering if it will help that much or be just another distraction while trying a new game? What do you think ? thanks DR

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: breach seating bullits
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 03:07:31 PM »
Awf Hand made a 32-40 Handi for breech seating in Shuetzen matches, but he hasn't been here in a few months.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,75549.msg465748.html#msg465748

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,77975.msg481332.html#msg481332
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 06:30:35 PM »
Thanks Tim! you truely earn your name! DR

Offline wallacem

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:47:40 AM »
Guys, I have always wondered, tell me if you think this would work. Use a fired case, do not resize it, load the bullet by simply pushing it in by fingers, don't push it in very far, and when you chamber it, the bullet will stop at the lands, and will rest on the lands.  In my thinking this will get the same thing done as pushing the bullet in by hand.  Right?  Wallacem in Ga

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 05:02:48 AM »
I do (did) did this with my Hornet. I am not sure where this would be practical. Will tell you that the wife is not pleased with all the poppy seeds (Lil Gun) blowing around the porch.

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 08:53:24 AM »
  Wreckhog,How much improvement did it make for your groups? I couldnt see me doing it in the hornet, as its a hunting gun but as a target game its no worse than muzzle loading. I did see some shooters capping their charged cases with a thin  piece of florists foam, to keep from spilling their powder. DR

Offline Frank V

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 09:53:54 AM »
I have done it with the .45-70. I'd just start the bullet into the case then allow the bullet to be seated by the rifeling when I pushed the case into the chamber. I got some good groups using this method & didn't have to size the case. I was shooting cast bullets & smokeless powder.
It was fun, & I took two cases to the range. I took the second case in case I dropped or ruined the first case.
Frank
" U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Offline wallacem

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 10:40:18 AM »
I need to try that with my 45-70.  The first time I ever say a trapdoor, I was about 20 yrs old, about 50 yrs ago,,,,, a friend had one, we were out shooting it, and he used a case, and a hand primer, and he would fill the case with black powder, and put a ball in the neck, and shoot it.,  Darn thing shot great.  Have not thought about that in yrs.  Wallacem

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 02:44:24 PM »
Well, there is really more to breechseating than that. Maybe check out the ASSRA site for more info.
Ideally the throating is specially done to the proper dia. for the bore/groove dimensions and the bullet is inserted into the throat, not forced up into the rifling. The case proper fits entirely behind hte bullet base and usually has 1/32-1/16" gap. With this relationship the entire bullet is concentric with the bore and there is no chance of the accuracy robbing dreaded gas cutting of the bullet base band. Bullet fit to this throat is paramount and as a process it is a bit futzy. In spite of the accuracy claims, it still comes down to the nut behind the gun.
The 'hand fitting' method mentioned can work very well, and I recommend using fully fire-formed brass (to that particular chamber) and as large a dia. cast bullet that 'comfortably' fits the case mouth. Loading a bit long so the chambering completes the seating depth is fine, but often if you try to remove the cartridge before firing the bullet will stay in the gun. I prefer that the fit is just snug enough to need the seating die, but not so tight that you cant pull it back out with a good finger grip. To achieve this I often use the Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die which lets me fine tune the grip of neck to bullet.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 05:01:52 PM »
Groups were poor. Just managing not to spill powder on an oudoor range was a PITA. I shot 19x yesterday with the same case though. Keep in mind I am using 1x brass bought here, free pulled bullets bought here, a scoop of Lil Gun (a touch low), old SP primers, a barrel bought here, a spare SB1 (shotgun firing pin) and a stock bought here. Lot of variables. Does go bang every time. I tried the Collet die. Then I figured out that just pinching the Hornet neck with my fingers created the tension too.