Author Topic: freezer full  (Read 660 times)

Offline foxcaller

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
  • Avid Poster
freezer full
« on: December 03, 2003, 06:33:12 PM »
My eldest and I just got back from a Northern Arizona antlerless elk hunt. Scored two big fat cows on the fourth day of the hunt. Been cutting and packaging meat since Tuesday noon. Nothing better than elk backstraps.....Woo-Hoo!  Son took his with a 7mm R mag and I used my NEF in 280 Rem.

Offline DesertRam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
freezer full
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 04:13:56 AM »
We head out for "camels" tomorrow with muzzleloaders.  Hopefully the Encore will account for a nice fat cow visiting from Arizona.  Will post results upon our return next Friday.

Offline foxcaller

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
  • Avid Poster
camels
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 05:15:23 AM »
Yeah, I had a nice load all worked up for my Contender in 45-70 to try on elk but the shots were just too long. I am only good to about 150yds or so with it.  We were hunting the sage brush, juniper flats and I hauled it around the first 3 days and the closest we got to elk was 400 yds+ so the last day of our hunt I decided to take my rifle with me. Shots ended up being a little inside of 200yds so I would have been stretching my ability with the Contender so I'm glad I took the 280 with me as it worked out fine. I got a Coues deer hunt in a couple weeks I am getting ready for now! Good luck on your hunt!

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
freezer full
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 07:09:03 AM »
Made it back from the elk hunt.  We managed four cows for our eight tags.  50% isn't too bad I suppose.  The Encore performed quite well for me and accounted for the largest cow of the hunt.  She netted 75 pounds of ground meat, and easily that much in steaks/roasts.  I love elk meat!!!

Offline Lawdog

freezer full
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 12:19:10 PM »
DesertRam,

To me Elk is one of the best wild game meats you can get.  This year I tried for another bull Tule Elk tag, no luck.  But I did draw a cow tag and filled it the first day.  Took longer to dress it out and haul it off than the whole hunt.  Oh well, maybe a bull tag next year.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline crow_feather

freezer full
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 07:36:31 PM »
Lawdog,

I heard that tule elk antlers in some areas are brittle because of the feed.  One person said she shot a bull and the antler broke when it went down.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Lawdog

freezer full
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 10:19:59 AM »
crow-feather,

That's a new one on me.  I have been hunting Tule Elk off and on for 30+ years, every time I can draw a tag, and have never heard of that.  Do you know what time of the year she shot it?  I had one bull run into a white oak after being shot(he took off running at the shot) and both antlers are just fine.  If you can find out anything more let me know.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.