Author Topic: Questions About The 500  (Read 926 times)

Offline pruhdlr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Questions About The 500
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:45:53 AM »
Gentlemen,  I have a NEF Handi-Rifle coming(hopefully) chambered in 500S&W Mag. I own several other Handi-Rifles including a 45-70 and a 444Marlin. I have several questions concerning the 500.

1. The sights that come on it are a rear sight that is forward of the place to mount a base for rings and scope. They are a rather high looking,glomie thing,with fiber optics. Can this be removed and filler screws installed ?? It's not "permanently" installed is it ??
2. I will have the wood stock cut down to a 13.00-13.25" LOP. Will I still be able to keep a(saaaay) 1X-4X Leupold shotgun/ML scope outta my eye socket ??
3. Can I use the regular scope base that H&R sells for this weapon or should I get a all steel base for the scope installation ??

Thanks for your input in this. ---pruhdlr
RSSZ Camping/Hikeing Club --- '69,'70,'71
Stoner 63 (MK23/XM207

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Questions About The 500
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 09:50:24 AM »
1. yes it can be removed... no it's not permanent.
2. don't crowd the scope. ;)
3. yes.

Spanky

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:59:17 AM »
May want to consider a muzzleloader scope for the extended eye relief.  I have a nikon omega 250 bdc and it's got almost too much eye relief, but the nice part is that I don't have to worry about a scope ring around my eye.

Offline pruhdlr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 01:37:27 PM »
Another question please......
Is there such a thing as a SB1-500. If there is a difference between that and a SB2-500,what is it.

I took a look at the Nikon's. Eye relief of a full 5 inches. That certinly would be an option to keep it outta the eye socket. Thanks for that. ---pruhdlr
Stoner 63 (MK23/XM207

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 01:41:23 PM »
No, the SB1 is a cast iron shotgun frame, the only rifle barrels they'll fit to it are low pressure, 357mag and 44mag, the 500S&W has a SAAMI MAP of 60kpsi, it would destroy an SB1 frame and probably the shooter too!  :'(

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 02:31:05 PM »
I mounted a Bushnell 4X shotgun scope on mine and it has never hit me in the head.  I may act like it has, but it hasn't, honest  ;D ;D.  Another thought is that Midway sells rubber guard slip-ons for scope occulars.  I have one on a scope on a 12 gauge.  Said scope reputedly has long eye relief, but that scope did touch me once when shooting magnum slugs - so I put one of those little rubber rings on it to prevent more brain damage than life has already dished out.  Long eye relief is the ticket though.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »
No, the SB1 is a cast iron shotgun frame, the only rifle barrels they'll fit to it are low pressure, 357mag and 44mag, the 500S&W has a SAAMI MAP of 60kpsi, it would destroy an SB1 frame and probably the shooter too!  :'(

Tim

I wouldn't want to be the one pulling the trigger on it. :o

Spanky

Offline pruhdlr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 02:58:08 PM »
Thanks again gentlemen. The seller of the weapon has confirmed to me that the gun is indeed a SB2. Appreciate ya'll input on that.

Seeinz that I am cutting the stock(LOP) down a bit iI figure on putting a super long(4.7-5.0") eye relief scope on it,mounted 'bout as far forward as I can get it. This will be a very close range,probably <50yds, hog thumper so the scope can be super low power or just might consider a 3-5MOA(well made) red dot for the unlimited eye relief and no parallax.

Thanks again for ya'll expertise. ---pruhdlr
Stoner 63 (MK23/XM207

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 04:38:43 PM »
A friend has a 500 Handi with a Burris 1X on it.  It is nice, long eye relief and very quick to acquire a target.  Mine wears bigger glass, and is a bit easier to shoot for groups with.  Either one works, just different applications.  The 500 will check out scope internals.  I stuck a cheap BSA on mine to start with, knocked its guts out in less than 20 shots.  It now wears a swift 3X9 premier.  I think I like his better, but he won't part with the scope.

Offline pruhdlr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 04:11:09 AM »
Have been looking at the 1X scopes. Didn't realize that there were "so many" to choose from. Wish the Nikon shotgun and ML scopes were somewhat smaller but gotta love(for the 500)the 5 inches of eye relief. Can you install a scope base that will allow you to take advantage of the full 5 inches ??

Another question if I may ----> How do the NEF(Choate)plastic stocks hold up if used with the 500 ?? Am thinking about this for the weight reduction and the camo'ability. This weapon will be carried for miles thru some nasty backwater swamps and would like the weight down as much as possible.(I know....OUCH !!)

Thanks for your inputs and/or suggestions. ---pruhdlr
Stoner 63 (MK23/XM207

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 04:31:36 AM »
just might consider a 3-5MOA(well made) red dot for the unlimited eye relief and no parallax.

I have several red dots, and it is my understanding that they do suffer from parallax.  Personally, I haven't really noticed or experienced it, but I'm blind in one eye can't see out of the other anyhow ::).

The question I have is about .500 recoil.  All I read is how bad it is.  How bad can a handgun caliber hurt you in a Handi Rifle?  It'd have to be nasty in a revolver.  I really don't want or need a .500 or a .444, my Handi .45-70 does it all.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline 1NEFsofar

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 06:09:52 AM »
petemi...I had a revolver in 500 and had to get rid of it due to the stress it put on my SHOULDER of all things.  I could shoot mild to medium loads, maybe 5-10 rounds at sitting but when I shot full house loads,about 2-3 would be my max and then serious flinch (and pain) would stop me from shooting any more.  However, I do now own a 500 barrel and can't wait to get it put together.  I too am looking at what sope to put on it so the thread has been most helpful.  Unlike prhdr, I am going to weight the heck out of this thing with one of the new fangled stocks filled with lead. I'd rather carry a heavy gun than have my shoulder operated on AGAIN.
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.  

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 06:17:27 AM »
Have been looking at the 1X scopes. Didn't realize that there were "so many" to choose from. Wish the Nikon shotgun and ML scopes were somewhat smaller but gotta love(for the 500)the 5 inches of eye relief. Can you install a scope base that will allow you to take advantage of the full 5 inches ??

Another question if I may ----> How do the NEF(Choate)plastic stocks hold up if used with the 500 ?? Am thinking about this for the weight reduction and the camo'ability. This weapon will be carried for miles thru some nasty backwater swamps and would like the weight down as much as possible.(I know....OUCH !!)

Thanks for your inputs and/or suggestions. ---pruhdlr

I have the BDC 250 version of the Nikon Omega scope on my 45-70 Ultra Hunter, I just used the standard H&R rail and Leupold low PRW rings, lot of eye relief.

I have a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 shotgun scope on my 500S&W Handi, also in Leupold PRWs, it's held up fine for almost 200 rounds of punishing recoil with 350gr XTPs at 2150fps, 385gr Rem CL at 2100fps  440gr Cast Performance at 1900fps and 700gr RRs at 1400fps.

The synthetic stock will hold up fine, but I'd recommend the Handi-Grip thumbhole to help reduce recoil, it also has the best recoil pad of any H&R pad, but Limbsaver does make a #10018 prefit pad that fits the Choate monte carlo stock, it will also fit the new style checkered synthetic stock with a little modification, but the #10011 for the Tikka T3 Lite fits better, I have one on my 35 Whelen Improved, both stocks are hollow if you decide a little weight needs to be added to deal with the recoil, specially for bench work, I shoot several heavy recoiling Handis, and a LeadSled has proven to be a very appreciated piece of equipment!  ;D The new style synthetic stock is available in camo from H&R too, so no need to do any painting.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 07:24:10 AM »
Shooting 500 Specials cuts down on the recoil...

500 S&W Magnum brass is about 1.615" long  (supermag length)
445 Supermag  brass is about 1.600" long  (supermag length)
357 Maximum brass is about 1.600" long  (supermag length)

500 Specials         brass is about 1.280" long  (regular mag length)
480 Ruger            brass is about 1.280" long  (regular mag length)
44 Rem Mags        brass is about 1.280" long  (regular mag length)
41 Rem Mags        brass is about 1.280" long  (regular mag length)
357 Rem Mags        brass is about 1.280" long  (regular mag length)

I think you can see where I am going with this...
If you can hunt with a 44 Mag then you can hunt with a 500 Special.  Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline Retsof

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 05:18:22 PM »
I cut my Handi in 500 S&W down to a 13" LOP. Perhaps I'm the only one with this issue but even at this shortened LOP and having a multi-slotted scope base and over 4" of eye relief in the scope, I just have enough eye relief to do the job, much less worrying about getting hit in the eye. I should note that this is with all of my hunting clothes on. Even when I'm at the range in hot weather, I still use the Magnum PAST recoil pad to simulate the bulk of my hunting clothes. BTW I have what I'd guess is an average arm length (my shirt sleeves are 32). Regarding recoil, it has been mentioned that you can use 500 S&W Special ammo to reduce recoil. Though I've never used this type of ammo in my Handi, this does make sense to me, if any of these rounds are accurate in your rifle. For now I've only used the Federal Premium (I think it's called VitalShok now) ammo with the 275 gr Barnes XPB bullet. The recoil is not that bad at all and it is very accurate in my Handi. It has thus far been very effective on the whitetail deer I've shot. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I like as little recoil as possible. The only negative to the FederaL ammo I'm using is that I almost have to take out a loan if I want to buy more than 1 box at a time. So, I'm going to begin reloading for my Handi and in fact have been looking for reloading data to achieve the same MV as the Federal ammo.

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 08:15:40 PM »
just might consider a 3-5MOA(well made) red dot for the unlimited eye relief and no parallax.

I have several red dots, and it is my understanding that they do suffer from parallax.  Personally, I haven't really noticed or experienced it, but I'm blind in one eye can't see out of the other anyhow ::).

The question I have is about .500 recoil.  All I read is how bad it is.  How bad can a handgun caliber hurt you in a Handi Rifle?  It'd have to be nasty in a revolver.  I really don't want or need a .500 or a .444, my Handi .45-70 does it all.

Pete

It really largely depends on what you're shooting.  If you're shooting big heavy cast bullets hard its going to hurt.  On the other hand if you shoot light loads it's really a softy. 

The thing I've noticed though is that when shooting hotter loads the recoil is pretty sharp compared to a 45-70.  Instead of a slow push its a pretty quick punch that can be sharp at times.

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »
I too have noticed that the recoil of the 500 is sharper than the 45-70 recoil in my guide gun.  But if you load to no more than middlin pressures, the recoil is manageable.  After all, if you are just hunting deer - how hot do you have to load the 500 anyway?  I just got my first box of cases for the 50 Alaskan that is on its way.  It's a little scary to set one of those Alaskans next to a 500 Smith and think about the extra recoil in a little handi carbine.  Now that sucker is gonna hurt! :'(...I am going to put a handi-grip on it and an extra slip-on limbsaver.  I may be an old wuss, but I also remember what bad bursitis feels like!

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 02:36:02 PM »
I think what makes the 500 a bit more painful than most rifle cartridges is the fact that it uses magnum pistol powders compared to rifle powders.  Since they burn more quickly the recoil is felt to be much quicker and sharper than that using a standard rifle powder.

I'm curious to see how your 50 Alaskan recoils.  I'd think it would be like the 45-70 since it has basically the same pressure limitations, but you're just pushing a bit heavier bullet.  Though I've never shot a 50 Alaskan ever, so I'm probably talking out of my rear.

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 04:11:38 PM »
I did not find a bunch of reduced loads for the one I got, so by extrapolation I decided to use 50/70 load data and have had no problems. If you can kill a buffalo with a 50/70 (and they sure did) you surely don't need more for a hog, or deer.They don't seem to kick so bad.
remember the starfish

Offline searlock

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 04:23:25 PM »
If you are worried about recoil get a smaller caliber a 30 30 will kill a hog. If your eyes are good use the factory sights at 50 yds. My 500 twisted hard and I found a laminate thumb hole stock worked great. Don't know about cut down but I suspect it would be ok. As for glass I found gbo sponsor mueller has a great scope in 3x9. With extended eye relief that holds up well on my 375 h&h and it kicks as hard as my 500. As for loads speer 350 fp loaded max with lil gun powder or near max works great out of my 26 inch custom t/c encore barrel. Had a handi 500 had to send it back to factory twice for a new barrel (thanks again tim) so I could sell it and get my t/c.  Bullets cost a lot so reload. Find what it likes and feed it to it. Love the round. Can't wait till they make a 500 max like the 357 max. Good hunting.      Searlock