Author Topic: forts from sea  (Read 3104 times)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
forts from sea
« on: August 31, 2010, 07:50:17 PM »
Here is a question , which east cost and gulf of mexico forts do the members think would be the best ones to see from the sea side ,and WHY  :o ?

This would be mostly southern forts I imagine , I am interested in the opinions of others .

No trick questions here just curious what there might be to see ?

Wrecks or points of interest can be included , 

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
Re: forts from sea
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:20:22 PM »
more likely to be coastguard from liferaft.    :P
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 07:29:41 PM »
Fort De Soto is close to me and from the water has a spectacular view of .... sand and trees.

The other side has a battery of 4, 12-inch M1890-M1 mortars, sadly demilled now.

I believe there are only 8 of these guns in the world now. 4 here and 4 in the Philippines.

I always thought that these were a very cool breech loading, rifled mortar that would be a great design to reproduce on a small scale.
I think the boys at Seacoast Artillery should add this one to their lineup, I'm sure they have plenty of spare time.

Archive film footage of M1890-M1 mortars in action click here.
Fort De Soto site click here
Fort De Soto Wiki click here

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 08:01:36 PM »
     Soot!   And here we thought you were in the buddy category!  Please, please, please don't sign us up for more projects; we are buried by work already.  Those sure are nice mortars.  What an opportunity Mike and I have; we could see a new fort and some neat 1890 seacoast mortars and maybe meet another GBO BP M&C bd. member too!  Our goal of viewing forts from the sea advanced a notch today.

I'll let Gary explain the photo below:

M&T
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 03:03:57 AM »
uhhh errr  ;)

too small

17' Dolfin 1972

23.5' Hunter 1994

Sponge' can be seen crawling out the foward hatch .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 05:23:16 AM »
Where are you going to put the swivel guns? Or are you going to put the automatic cannon inside the boom like Bruce Willis did in the "Jackal"?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 11:39:45 AM »
What was wrong with the 26' Balboa?

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 11:42:07 AM »
Colorado and yachts...what's wrong with this picture?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 11:54:14 AM »
I think you are confusing sailboats with yachts.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 01:23:33 PM »
apparently nothing was wrong with it ,it was sold last weekend .

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »
The yellow one is a sailboat, the other is a yacht!!! Bigger than anything I ever seen on Cut Bank creek!

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 03:01:51 PM »
I'd categorize both of those as sailboats.  Yachts are something else altogether.  Then again, I live so close to them that I see the really big ones often.  Just because it's too big for a crick in Colorado doesn't make it a yacht!

Starting in Louisiana, I'd go to Fort Jackson and Fort Pike.

Heading into Florida waters, Fort Pickens would be nice from a boat, I think, though I haven't made my way there.  You could visit Fort Barrancas while you're there, since they're right next to each other.

I'm about 30 min from Ft. De Soto, so of course it was the first one to come to mind, but I don't think viewing it from the sea (more appropriately the Gulf) would be terribly spectacular, though it is a nice fort and park.  We could meet up for a barbeque and have a Morko reunion if you sailed up sometime!

I've wanted to visit Fort Jefferson at the Dry Tortugas National Park, but never made it there.  I think it would be a very nice one to see by boat (you have to get there by boat anyway).  May as well stop by Fort Zachary Taylor while you're sailing by Key West.

Of course, Fort Matanzas and the Catillo de San Marcos would be cool by sea as well.

Moving up the coast, I'd definitely swing by Fort Clinch on my way to Georgia.

In Georgia, I'd want to go to Fort King George, Fort Pulaski and Fort James Jackson.  Fort McAllister would be fun to explore if not so interesting to view from the water.

I don't know how much further you'd be going, but I'm sure there would be some nice places to visit all the way up the coast.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 03:55:23 PM »
Ah yes, Fort Clinch...

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but exiting the St. Marys River between Cumberland Island and Amelia Island takes you past Fort Clinch.

Guess what is farther up the St. Marys River? Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base.

When the big nuclear missile boats deploy, they cruise underneath the guns of Fort Clinch.

I'm sure they enjoy the view!

;D

Oh by the way: I was there for such an event and have photos of a sub, the USS Tennessee (SSBN-734), taken from the beach behind the fort. The big subs have to run on the surface in the river.

And they are definitely not alone.

If it is acceptable, I will post the pics (with obligatory fort photo).

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 05:11:51 PM »
I'd like to see it.  I posted my pictures of Clinch a little while ago, and really liked that fort a lot.  While i was there, I saw some postcards that had pictures of the fort with subs passing by.  It would be really neat to be there for that!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 09:09:44 AM »
It's a sailboat ,there is virtualy no teak on it and can be washed out with a garden hose .

Shes in good shape for a 93 and hasnt been used much . i just put in a bid so we'll see.

Mike is drooling at the thought of being turned loose on a rework/ upgrade job .

we will make stren rails for her bimini mounts etc....  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T1XEiosxkY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCuP-XHefTo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6JiYwQJ4ho&feature=related

hang while watching these vids ....no cannons  Just big beautiful wind machines

Offline Double D

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 10:01:50 AM »
I use to sail around Kaneohe bay in Thistles. Center board sailor, set the spinnaker and fly!  No cannons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGzjmT92K7Y

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 10:07:01 AM »
They're getting so much air with that boat that they threw their passengers out to try to keep it from flying away like a Thanksgiving parade balloon! ;D

If that's what you're looking at doing, Gary, I'll have to retract my offer to help crew.  It would be fun, but I'm no where good enough on a boat to keep it upright while trying to go that fast. :o

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »
     54.087 Miles per Hour!!   I want a Catamaran, a big one!  I sailed a catamaran around Nassau in the Bahamas once, but it was much smaller, a 17 footer as I recall.  Once you get some wind, they take off like scalded dogs!

Whatever Gary finally gets, it will be O.K. with me; sailing is lots of fun and you don't need any gasoline, a definite plus in 2011 when prices will make us all squeal once again.

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »
Sponge , those forts just got 23.5 feet closer !  8)

He shoots , HE SCORES !!!!!!!!! counter offer acceptted ! I now own a Hunter 23.5 !

Lord now what ?

Tell Porkchop I need a new motor ! 9.8 hp 4 stroke electric start  ,long shaft Tohatso please .

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 11:58:39 AM »
I prefer Evinrude

havent you seen Bernard and Bianca  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 12:57:04 PM »
Congratulations on the new acquisition Gary (same one in the picture posted by seacoast?)!  Looks like a fun boat for sure!  Not a lot of deck space for naval carriages, but I'm sure something can be worked out... ;)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 01:12:18 PM »
In floats a boat into some backwater habour , the banjo's are playing .
Fireflys , crickets ,all is well .....

Three heavy older gentleman stumbble out of a small boat . No problem , living some childhood dreams ,but then some little kid screams "Daddy Look at the name of that boat " .

"they is yankee hippies at best and god knows what elsen they maybe    giitim ........ "
Now I know the name is not actually "I .... ......." , But it is way too close for me !  ;D

Besides if you look close it was sailed out of Serbasterpole Califonina ........ so that would pretty much seal our fate , my fate does not need sealing .....right now .

Like the song says "Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to go right now !"

So I am open for suggestions .  

Gary

the official pic  :D

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 01:21:42 PM »
... and you don't need any gasoline ...

I guess if you plan to sail only in Colorado.  It will take a bunch to make it to the Gulf.  And a bunch more if it has to be moved from Californy to Colorado.

Maybe Humm Dinghy??  Or something more formal like "Libertad" or "Freedom"?
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 01:27:28 PM »
Congratulations Gary on the new acquisition, I'm sure it will produce many lasting memories.
I know a little about boats myself and since you people insist on turning this into a blow boat forum
I'll just have to add a pic of me on a blow boat. Click here
We were getting "Odessa" ready for sea trials. Sea trials consisted of one loop around Tampa Bay then off to Southampton, England for the start of the
1993 Whitbread Round the World Race.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 01:32:43 PM »
 :o

How'd you do soot ?

"Corshenows"   doesnt she ?

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 01:46:29 PM »
In floats a boat into some backwater habour , the banjo's are playing .
Fireflys , crickets ,all is well .....

Three heavy older gentleman stumbble out of a small boat . No problem , living some childhood dreams ,but then some little kid screams "Daddy Look at the name of that boat " .

"they is yankee hippies at best and god knows what elsen they maybe    giitim ........ "
Now I know the name is not actually "I .... ......." , But it is way too close for me !  ;D
Sorry, but with the banjos and such in your comment I immediately thought of one thing:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/1tqxzWdKKu8

Yeah, that's quite a name, isn't it!  If she's going to be rechristened, you may as well choose something that fits you.  While you're at it, get a nice size chunk of wood and make a larger version of that butt end of the Morko shaft, and mount it as a bowsprit!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 02:10:53 PM »
"Machines are gonna fail Drew"

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
How'd you do soot ?

I was asked and expected to go but they never secured any sponsorship, so it would have been at my expense and I was tired of living on ramen noodles.
I went back to building boats for people with the money to pay for them and "Odessa" went on to finish the race dead last, which is more that can be said of some of the competitors. Race boats are typically built strong enough to last 1 season, Odessa was different. The heaviest, slowest boat in the fleet built in the same Russian factory that built the Russian space shuttle out of some crazy Ukrainian fiberglass that would eat cobalt drill bits for breakfast. I never had any doubt about seaworthiness and think it would have taken an Exocet anti ship missile to sink.  The Russians were paid 5 million dollars to build a complete boat, but with the collapse of the Soviet Union they decided to keep the money and handed off a hull and deck to the captain. To make things short, the boat ended up in Tampa as a joint U.S. / Russian venture and almost no funding.

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 04:24:08 AM »
Gary (being a former Marine) is doing well in maintaining his amphibious capability.
Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 04:49:21 AM »
Gary (being a former Marine) is doing well in maintaining his amphibious capability.
There's no such thing as a "former" Marine. ;)