Author Topic: Trigger slap with AK's, do they all do it?  (Read 670 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Trigger slap with AK's, do they all do it?
« on: September 01, 2010, 07:17:53 AM »
I used to have a Rumanian AK-47 that had a trigger slap problem, ended up putting in a different trigger part that was supposed to help, and it did, but still my finger would get numb from the slap.  I had read that the part that caused the problem was intended for a fully automatic model and that Century Arms used the improper item for cost reasons.

Another article from a guy who had spent time overseas as a merc. said the AK's all do trigger slap, but he also said that the stock length was just fine for everyone, yeh sure, the stock length on a G.I. AK is made for a very small person.  I had to use a rubber stock extension to get somewhat decent length of pull.  Saw a DVD on Mikhail Kalashnikov, he is a very short man, I am sure he fitted the rifle out for his taste in size.

Anyone have an AK that does not have the trigger slap from the factory?

Thanks.

Offline huntersmurf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Trigger slap with AK's, do they all do it?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 07:15:35 PM »
Try installing a Tapco trigger group. 

Offline haliaetus

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Trigger slap with AK's, do they all do it?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 07:28:50 AM »
Saw a DVD on Mikhail Kalashnikov, he is a very short man, I am sure he fitted the rifle out for his taste in size.

IIRC, the buttstock length on the AK family is shorter, what is called "Warsaw Pact" length, largely due to allowing for wearing of heavy clothing/ bulky battle gear, without causing a situation where the stock is too long for the shooter. SKS firearms also typically have a shorter LOP than us westerners would prefer for sporting use.

Anyone have an AK that does not have the trigger slap from the factory?

The CAI imported rifles will have slap due to the "bump" that is added on the trigger unit. I suspect it is there to block someone from having an accidental full-auto situation without the hassle of utilizing better QC in assembling the rifle. It is easily removed with a dremel cutoff wheel and then polish the surfaces. The trigger group on the imported full-capacity arms are a made in the US item to comply with the 10-or-less parts game. They are made for/by Century, therefore they will be sub-par.

As stated, the Tapco G2 single hook trigger group makes a world of difference.