Author Topic: BH 209 and different primers  (Read 1787 times)

Offline usherj

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
BH 209 and different primers
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:58:23 AM »
Has anyone compared and noticed any difference in accuracy among the different 209 primers with BH 209? I am sold on the benefits of the powder, but am having trouble duplicating the tights groups I obtained with loose T7 and the 25ACP priming system. With different bullets and charges, I am getting a flyer in each 3 shot group.

Stuck or difficult to remove plugs are now a thing of the past, but I have noticed that plug cleaning is a bit more of a hassle than with T7.  Difficult to disolve, even with Shooters Choice and brake cleaner. Anyone have any success with other cleaners? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks

Offline NatureNick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "Fetch me musket!"
Re: BH 209 and different primers
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »
I'd stick with the .25ACP priming system, with Fiocchi magnum small pistol primers, since you're already set up for it that way.  But among 209 primers, I've had the best performance with CCI 209 Magnums.  Cheddites delivered identical performance, but the sealing paint on the flame end always sticks to the o-ring inside the primer pocket of my aftermarket carrierless breech plug.  CCI doesn't have that paint, and it fits the pocket tighter around the circumference.  Sometimes I have to use a steel 209 capper/decapper to get it out.  But the groups are totally worth it!  As for cleaning the plug, I use an RCBS large pistol/rifle primer pocket cleaning brush, gently, which rips the crust right out in big chunks.  I use a teensy weensy drill bit to clean the flash hole.  The Montana Extreme Blackhorn solvent I use on the barrel, loosens up the crud in the fire channel to where I can get it out with a Q-tip.  Good stuff.  It's almost as though the soot from the little bit of BH209 powder that falls into the fire channel, actually prevents primer char from buliding up.

Offline handirandy

• GOD, guts, and guns. In that order!
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 11:25:33 AM »
Where are you fellas getting the O rings?  When I say "high temp." they look at me funny.
This is the day the Lord has made.  I choose to rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »
Where are you fellas getting the O rings?  When I say "high temp." they look at me funny.
They sell them in Lowe's,  Danco brand.  Ask for #60, Part #96774.  They come in a package of ten, blue & white packaging.  Forgot how much they cost, but their not that expensive.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 11:49:05 AM »
handirandy - Forgot to mention it, but you can use them more than once.  They also work on the  Rossi BP gun if you have one.  Really cuts down on blow back.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 01:39:48 PM »
If you search back a ways here Busta has some posts I believe that he did testing on a whole bunch of differant primers with the BH209 powder. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 02:16:14 PM »
I have excellent results with 85 grains bh209 harvestor crush rib and hornady .430 240and triple 7 primers. deadly accurate.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 02:34:24 AM »
If you search back a ways here Busta has some posts I believe that he did testing on a whole bunch of differant primers with the BH209 powder. Kurt

From what Busta posted, the Federal 209A is the best for cold weather applications. I've used the 209A exclusively in my Sidekick w/Blackhorn 209 with excellent results in minus degree weather without a problem. Always lights off using 80 grain charge.

Used Birchwood Foaming Bore Scrubber on the barrel last time I shot and it worked well. Also took the cap from a spray can and soaked the aftermarket nameless breechplug in the Foaming Bore Scrubber by filling that little middle section up and then sliding the breechplug in it. Overnight soaking and it was virtually scrub free clean.