Author Topic: Bushnell Banner BDC Home Repair  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Bushnell Banner BDC Home Repair
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:34:23 AM »
 :)

I have a Bushnell Banner BDC scope I bought in 1983.  It is mounted on my 243 and has been reliable.  I had a second one that now belongs to SIL.  It started out on my Remington 760 and accounted for a number of bucks.

In the last few months the 243 has made a numerous trips to the range and I have shot a lot of rounds at fifty, one hundred and two hundred yards.  I have been taking advantage of the BDC feature when switching distances.  The other day while cleaning the rifle at home I rubbed against the top turret and the screw head slide off and the head of the BDC screw fell off and the dial dropped out of the turret. 

For those that do not have such a scope, it comes with different dials to match up with the load the user is using.  The large slotted Cap screw that retains the dial in the turret has a hard rubber, thread shaft.

After talking to Bushnell I made the following repair notes.   :) ;D

Repair Bushnell Banner BDC Scope with broken BDC retaining screw.

The screw is hard rubber.  Find a screw driver that will fit down on broke screw with clearance for turning.  Remove the screw driver and heat the blade of the screwdriver.  Hold blade against broke screw and allow to cool in place.   The screw is hard rubber and the heated blade will sink into the screw shaft.   After cooling turn the screw out.

Bushnell has the replacement part.  Cost $2.40 plus shipping as of 9/3/2010.  Delivery time two to four weeks.

I have been pleased with Bushnell Customer Service of the years. :)
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
Re: Bushnell Banner BDC Home Repair
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 05:24:29 AM »
interesting post. i like banner scopes. 27 yr old scope has already given great service i'd say. then a couple dollar fix. not bad at all
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline Siskiyou

Re: Bushnell Banner BDC Home Repair
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 07:26:25 PM »
It worked!

Following the directions given by Bushnell Customer Service I heated a screw driver blade of the right size to the point the blade started to turn red.  As soon as I spotted the discoloration I remove the screw driver from the heat.

I had my rifle with the scope setting in a rest.  I centered the heated screw driver on the top of the screw.  It took a second for the blade to heat the top of the screw and then I had to stop it from over penetrating the screw.  I held it in place a minute or two and then stepped away for about five minutes letting it cool. 

When I applied turning pressure to the screw driver I could feel resistance and I heard the first click as the elevation changed one click.  There is a shallow grove across the top of the adjuster in which a coin can be used to turn it when the hole for the screw is not occupied.  I tried with little success of holding the adjuster in the lip of the shallow groove with a second screw driver.   

The adjuster clicked a second time and I felt the screw give slightly.  On the fourth click the screw came out.  I gained one inch of elevation in the process.  I adjusted it back four clicks.

I had dug out the original box the scope came in and it contained the manual and the other dials that came with the scope.  It came with a #1B, #2B, and a dial the user can customize for his load.

When I first purchased the 243 rifle I was loading 100 and 105 grain bullets and shooting 100-grain factory ammunition.  According to the manual the #2B dial is for the 100-grain bullet.  Along the way I decided the 243 Winchester would be used for varmints and I would load a 80-grain bullet to about 3200 fps.  The 80-grain bullet has proven to be devastating on critters. 

I did not go back and read the manual and switch to the #1B dial.  In recent years I made a few notes about the difference in the point of impact between the 100 and the 105 grain bullets compared with the 80-grain load.

Until recent complications I had planned on doing a little deer hunting with the 243 Winchester using the 105-grain Speer Splitzer.  I have a limited supply of these bullets because it appears Speer has dropped it from the line up.  I have also developed accurate 100-grain bullets so the shortage is not a life threatening event.

Recent range sessions show the 80-grain load shooting way high at 200 yards but no windage problem when sighted in for the 105-grain load.  I held the #1B and #2B dials next to each other today.   It appears that switching dials to fit the bullet wieght might accomplish what I want.  I need to test this on the range. 

Has anybody tried this?  If so what were the results.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.