Author Topic: Table Top Trimmer  (Read 576 times)

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Table Top Trimmer
« on: September 04, 2010, 07:20:46 AM »
While I do have a Lee hand trimmer with the ball end, I'm looking for a table top trimmer.
I remember a year or so ago, someone here on GB's converted an RCBS case prep center to trim.
Out of all of the currently offered units, is there one that really works well for you?
I've heard good things about the Forester. I'm looking for something that is quick and keeps the case straight.
Thanks -g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Table Top Trimmer
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 10:43:23 AM »
I use a Layman, RCBS is the same, with an electric screwdrive in stead of the crank. Very fast and accurate on both lenth and being straight.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »
I use a modified RCBS system just like VTDW's in the Tips and Tricks sticky if Lee makes a case length gage or I can modify one for a different chambering to work.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,139618.msg1098549766.html#msg1098549766

For those that Lee doesn't, I use the Lyman with a cordless variable drill and their power adapter.

Tim

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/case-trimmers/universal-trimmer-combo.php
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 03:49:47 PM »
IMO, nothing is better than the Forster.

Offline davem270win

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 05:59:28 PM »
I've had Forster, Redding, and Wilson. My Wilson has all the fixins' from Sinclair. All are good, but I like the micrometer on the Wilson - very quick to set up - and with the Wilson system, probably more precise. I still crank by hand - gotta get some exercise.

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:52:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
Tim, I bet if SOMEONE  ::)... tooled up conversions for the RCBS prep center they would sell well.
All kidding aside, what kind of time is envolved in the modification for each size shell holder?
-g

I use a modified RCBS system just like VTDW's in the Tips and Tricks sticky if Lee makes a case length gage or I can modify one for a different chambering to work.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,139618.msg1098549766.html#msg1098549766

For those that Lee doesn't, I use the Lyman with a cordless variable drill and their power adapter.

Tim

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/case-trimmers/universal-trimmer-combo.php
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 10:18:25 PM »
The only modification needed is to the Lee cutter, it has to be drilled and tapped, the drilling part is the hard part, the cutter has to be annealed first by heating it dull red and letting it cool naturally. To drill the Lee cutter straight, in the drill press I drilled a 1/8" hole in a 1" thick piece of hardwood , then using that hole as a pilot, drilled a 15/32" hole about ¾ of the way thru, drove the cutter into the hole as far as it would go using a block of wood on the cutter teeth to protect it from the hammer, then place the cutter face down in the wood block in the hole in the drill press table and put a center mark on the end of the cutter handle with the 1/8" drill bit, once it's marked, remove the cutter from the block and clamp the cutter in a drill vise, chuck up a #29 drill then align the cutter vertically against the side of the drill bit so the cutter is perfectly straight up and down on two sides of the bit 90º apart, then drill it on the center mark, then tap the hole 8-32.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain