Author Topic: OT Spam  (Read 792 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
OT Spam
« on: September 04, 2010, 06:28:40 PM »
I posted on the forum support page, take a look if you wonder where people get your email address from.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: OT Spam
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 06:34:10 PM »
You won't see it there, I moved it to the Admin forum for Bill and Matt to check out, no sense in showing everyone in the world how to gather email addresses, thanks for the heads up Larry.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Personally I think that people should know that their emails have been published and have most likely all been stripped off here by a Robot.  Guess it is up to Matt.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 06:39:08 PM »
Their emails haven't been published except the dozen or so that you posted!! ::)

Tim

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 06:42:17 PM »
They are published every time the page is served up, they are in the HTML code that is sent un-encripted.  The tool to view them is part of internet explorer.  Bummer.  Larry

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 07:19:22 PM »
Larry log out and try it. Yes contributers and senior members can see email addresses and maybe avid posters, new members and those with less than 100 posts I think cant. If you make it that far chances are you are not a spammer. If you opt to use the HIDE EMAIL ADDRESS feature in your profile then you can make it so that only YOU, mods and admins can see it. The email harvest bots CAN NOT see the email addresses... Have another and sit back and chill out... You are getting excited over much of nothing. But first chance I get I will install a new email system for GBO.

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 07:23:33 PM »
Thanks Matt, I logged in using my regular member username which I think I've only made one post, I can only see your email address which is consistent with all the other forums I frequent, just the administrator's email can be seen.

Tim

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 07:25:30 PM »
Much to do about nothing?  I take the loss of my personal informaton very seriously, I think you should take my loss just as serious.  Others may feel the same way.  Larry

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 08:09:47 PM »
OK, good luck Matt, lock it up as soon as you can, but I fear the cat is out of the bag.  If I can see thousands of email addresses from everyone who has ever posted here then the guys in Russia and India have figured it out long before I did, so they already have every person who ever posted here email address on the site.  This is exactly how the targeted email address lists are compiled, lax security and the internet, guess it just shows that you cannot post anything to, or fill out any form on the internet without expecting it to become public knowledge.  Funny thing is that I would never have found the security hole if I were not looking for a way to block those dumb Chevy pop-ups.  Larry

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 09:13:22 PM »
If I can see thousands of email addresses from everyone who has ever posted here then the guys in Russia and India have figured it out long before I did, so they already have every person who ever posted here email address on the site. 

That would only happen if they were active members with lots of posts that put them in the senior or contributor member status, not very likely as Matt said, anyone with less than 100 posts can't see them, guests can't, you can't if you're not logged in, I couldn't when logged in as a newbie with a low post count.

Tim

Offline av-doctor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 02:50:01 AM »
I like SPAM its good with eggs!  but seriously thanks for the heads up and as expected Matt's working on it ,i trust he'll get it fixed

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 05:04:26 AM »
Since the cat is either out, or Matt is right, its a done deal now.
So.....did you find a pop-up block, or do I interpret the 'trying' part of your post as unsuccessful?
I hate them.....they are intruding into my life and com. But even moreso, I hate that I find myself overreacting to them when they pop.
Aint it so......its always something.....
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 05:47:54 AM »
I feel that just about anyone who really wants to can get all the info on you from just about anywhere.
If you have a good spam blocker and/or you don't reconise the sender, just delete it.
I have very little problem, but then I am not running the regular security programs that are being sold to the general public.
I am useing a product called PANDA.
It is a military based system that is pretty hard to beat.
Can be done, but takes a while.
Like I said, if they want it bad enough, they will find a way to get it.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline NFG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 06:04:38 AM »
The only way to stop spam is to opt OFF the internet and NEVER SET UP AN EMAIL ADDRESS or go to any forums.

Lock, Stock and Barrel went out of business and sold his email addresses and other personnel information.  I got an email saying such and to opt off the lists to send an email stating such within 20 days.  Don't know for sure if this was a spoof, but time will tell.

It never ceases to amaze me just how much damaging information is on the net from forums.  The human ego is a very fragile thing and we all want to "tell all" just how smart each of us are and it doesn't take much to get a hoo-haw going.  Some forums are much worse than others when it comes to "pen** envy".

That means the law, authority/security forces, good guys and bad guys all know how to push the buttons and get information, and we are all to eager to spill the beans.

Sad commentary on humans to be sure.

Every forum I go to requires an email address.   I think THIS should be stopped as it just opens up the flood gates even though that information is in the headers.

Those that don't think too much about the invasion of privacy, or don't care, or use spam blockers(which mine data also) are just as short sighted as the rest of the "great unwashed masses".  We humans are short lived, short memoried and short on "ba***" and deserve what we get for non-action.

Technology is going to be the death of humanity, which might be a good thing...at least the critters waiting in the wings for their chance...WILL get a chance, just like the precursors of humans got their chance when the dinosaurs went away.

Luck

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 08:27:13 AM »
Larry,  you seem to be operating under the misconception that there is a security issue when there is not. Members who have more than 250 posts are allowed to view the member list which allows them to see email addresses that have not be set to HIDDEN by a member. Everyone has the option to HIDE their email address in their profile and it is hidden by default. So all those email addresses except your own that you put in your first post is set to SHOW in the members profile. You have more than 250 post so all you are allowed to see those email addresses. This is not a security hole but rather how we have it set up and feel that if a member makes it past 250 posts then it is highly doubtful that they will be a spammer. If you do not want members with more than 250 posts to see your email address all you have to do is set it to hidden then only YOU, Mods and Admins can see it. As I said you are making a big to do over nothing... it is a non-issue.

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 07:26:19 AM »
Why are you even here Larry? Since the video and dashboard ads went up all you've done is gripe, bitch and complain about one thing after another. You openly posted member e-mail address which is adequate to get you banned from the site and also told folks how to phish for such info.

If you hate this site and its members so badly why don't you just find another site to visit?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!