Author Topic: Pawnshop 94 30/30  (Read 4032 times)

Offline brianscott12

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • Alabama
Pawnshop 94 30/30
« on: September 05, 2010, 05:48:14 AM »
Hey guys. Went to a pawn shop yesterday that usually has a lot of lever-guns but are always too high on their prices. They only has three left on this day. Two 35's in marlin and one 30/30 94 win made in bout 72'. Fella said he would take 220 for it so I left with it. The gun is in good shape with the exception of blue gone on the receiver. May use it for cast or for trade but I just couldn't pass it up. What y'all think? 

To seize the opportunity of a lifetime you must do so within the lifetime of that opportunity.

Offline brianscott12

• Contributor
  • Alabama
Re: Pawnshop 94 30/30
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 05:50:47 AM »
More pics.

To seize the opportunity of a lifetime you must do so within the lifetime of that opportunity.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:37:18 AM »
I think you done good!   ;D  I woulda snapped it up at that price.

The loss of blueing just gives it character.  But, if you're thinking of refinshing it, it seems to me there is something about the metalergy that makes that problematic on that era receivers...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline brianscott12

• Contributor
  • Alabama
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 11:33:05 AM »
I'm kinda confused now. I posted it on another board(gun values board) and one member told mr the gun was worth about 50 bucks and to go get my money back while another member disagreed and told me that it was worth at least 100 bucks. What to do?

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 11:55:37 AM »
Tell 'em to go pee up a rope!   ::)

I paid $240 for mine a couple years back.  I would have liked to get it a little cheaper but all in all I'm happy with it.

You're happy with yours or you wouldn't have bought it!  I would have bought it at that price even though I've already got one!  Show me where you can find any 94 for $50 or $100!   ;)

Opinions are like butt holes, everybody has one and most of them stink!   ;D  It's what you think that matters!   :)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline brianscott12

• Contributor
  • Alabama
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
Tell 'em to go pee up a rope!   ::)

I paid $240 for mine a couple years back.  I would have liked to get it a little cheaper but all in all I'm happy with it.

You're happy with yours or you wouldn't have bought it!  I would have bought it at that price even though I've already got one!  Show me where you can find any 94 for $50 or $100!   ;)

Opinions are like butt holes, everybody has one and most of them stink!   ;D  It's what you think that matters!   :)
I like your attitude Atlaw. :)  One of the main reasons that I bought it is I have one made in 42 and when I shoot it I'm more worried about scratching it than shooting it. Hense the reason for this one.

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 03:54:10 PM »
Your receiver looks like mine. If it's from the "sintered iron" (have no idea if that's spelled right?) era like mine is, forget about rebluing it. I've spoken to several experts and they say it can't be done. You can do a bake-on finish, or some kind of coating finish (like Dura-Coat, etc), but bluing will not work. I have no idea how Winchester "finished" them to begin with.

If the finish on yours isn't bothering you, then just shoot it and enjoy it for what it is.

The fella's that are telling you it's worth $50, etc, are probably more of the "collector-snob" types, and not really into shooting the Win 94's, but more into collecting them and keeping them under glass.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline brianscott12

• Contributor
  • Alabama
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 04:48:29 PM »
Got the bore cleaned up and got a good look at it. Bore looks good almost as if new. Crown looks good also and still has most of the blue.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 04:58:56 PM »
I think you done good!   ;D  I woulda snapped it up at that price.

The loss of blueing just gives it character.  But, if you're thinking of refinshing it, it seems to me there is something about the metalergy that makes that problematic on that era receivers...  :-\

I would have bought that in a second!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »
Bore looks good almost as if new.

Well there ya go!   ;D
Rifle guns is like wimmins, some you got to clean up a bit.  An while they can look a little worn on the outside, when ya get to the insides you may find they good as new!   ;)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 07:13:26 PM »
Forget those idiots!
The gun will part out for more than the $220.00 you paid for it.
Like AtlLaw stated, Tell 'em to go pee up a rope! ---( That's a good one Richard  :D)   Show me where you can find any 94 for $50 or $100!  
Man, aint that the truth!!!
Those guys must not have seen many 94s sell lately, or they are in a section of the country where they are not very popular.
You can always make a profit on it for what you paid.
Heck, I would give you a profit!
Keep it and enjoy it.
You done good!  ;)

LONGTOM

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 07:35:24 PM »
I'm kinda confused now. I posted it on another board(gun values board) and one member told mr the gun was worth about 50 bucks and to go get my money back while another member disagreed and told me that it was worth at least 100 bucks. What to do?

Those are called trolls. There isn't a 30-30 lever action,even in totally unusable shape thats worth 50 bucks. (Maybe if someone blew it up) I paid 60 bucks for a trashed Turkish Mauser with a stock that was in totally unusable shape (its since been fixed up,and was taken to the range yesterday and is a damn good rifle,but still...) and I can tell you ,Ive seen ones in the same terrible condition selling for 100. Your not going to find a Winchester 30-30 lever action for less than a trashed milsurp ANYWHERE. One in any condition for 50 bucks would border on me stealing it from them. For 100,they are giving me a gift. I saw one go for 150 at a gun show that had a broken stock,and it sold to one of the other vendors before the show even opened! If it hadn't I would have grabed it myself.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 07:39:40 PM »
Forget those idiots!
The gun will part out for more than the $220.00 you paid for it.
Like AtlLaw stated, Tell 'em to go pee up a rope! ---( That's a good one Richard  :D)   Show me where you can find any 94 for $50 or $100!  
Man, aint that the truth!!!
Those guys must not have seen many 94s sell lately, or they are in a section of the country where they are not very popular.
You can always make a profit on it for what you paid.
Heck, I would give you a profit!
Keep it and enjoy it.
You done good!  ;)

LONGTOM

Its just not possible for them to sell that low anywhere. You would sell it on gun-broker,get 200 from me and I would gladly pay the shipping and transfer fees. Ive seen Marlins get close to 300. Actually,the new marlins go for about 350 at walmart with a rebate from marlin and Im planing on getting one before the rebate expires in december. For that price I cant resist,unless I find a real good deal at the next gun show.

Offline Savage .250

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 01:54:26 AM »
$220 for a decent Win 94?     Even if it`s "just " a shooter,  you came out way ahead!! 
     Nay-sayers are always out there but they have opinions as well........... :D
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 01:57:15 AM »
That gun would sell for $299.00 around here.  Nice!
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 04:23:58 AM »
Atlaw indeed tells it like it is!  There's lots of idiots on the web and you encountered a couple.  Atlaw's recommendation is heartily endorsed by me in this regard.  By the way, the grain on that stock looks pretty nice.  From the photo, you've got a decent Winnie with some blueing/blacking gone.  It's probably been carried a whole lot more than it's been shot.  Most 30-30 owners, in spite of what you read on the web, probably don't put a couple of hundred rounds, if that, during the whole 30 or 40 years that they own them, but carry them around everywhere.

Offline brianscott12

• Contributor
  • Alabama
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 04:36:41 AM »
It does indeed seem to have been carried more than it's been shot.

Offline brianscott12

• Contributor
  • Alabama
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 05:56:26 AM »
I'm just curious. On the 73 model is there a safety feature that's not on my 42 model. On the 73 I have to have to apply pressure ever so slightly to the lever to shoot whereas I don't on the 42.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 06:31:03 AM »
On the 73 I have to have to apply pressure ever so slightly to the lever to shoot whereas I don't on the 42.

I noticed the same thing between my pre WWII 94 and the 70's one I now have.  So I guess it's pretty common.  I traced it down and determined, my own reasoning - not the manufacturer's explanation, that it may be a way of insureing the lever is completely closed and therefor the lugs fully engaged and the bolt completely in battery before the weapon will fire. 

Seems to me there was a tab from the receiver between it and the lever somewheres...  But I may be thinking of another rifle  :-\  I'll go check in a bit; the 94 is in rotation to go hunting this year anyway!   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline brianscott12

• Contributor
  • Alabama
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 07:04:48 AM »
AtlLaw, that's kinda what I was thinkin.

Offline brianscott12

• Contributor
  • Alabama
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 11:04:10 AM »
Ok, went down the road to shoot a few rounds off. 170 gr Winchester power points at 50 yds with factory iron sights. Had to bury the front sight cause the diet couple of shots went above the paper. Someone filed the front post down and the rear was all the way down. I could bury the front sight enough if I had some sort of neon paint on it because when I went too low I lost it. I'm not very good at open sights but I think o did so so.

One flier. :)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 11:13:11 AM »
Well, my shooting experience with a 94 is kinda limited, but first time shooting it, factory ammo and messed with sights I'd say that ain't to shabby!   ;D

I guess you didn't have any functioning problems so all seems right in the world!   :D

50 dollars indeed!   ;)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline brianscott12

• Contributor
  • Alabama
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 11:17:24 AM »
Thanks, if I decide to keep it I might either try to get a set of peeps or a new front post with hood. The one on the 42 looks as if it's part of the barrell but the 73 looks as though it can be replaced. 

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 11:24:36 AM »
the 73 looks as though it can be replaced. 

Yup, sure can.  Because of my 65 year old eyes, I put a Williams receiver sight on mine and matched it with a firesight on front.  See if you can find some of Dee's posts about what he did to his.  He had a Lyman 66 (?) on his and recently replaced it with a tang sight after many years.

If I were to redo mine I'd get an Ivory bead front sight and a Lyman receiver sight, even if they're no longer made of steel!   :D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 11:29:21 AM »
If you want to mount a Williams or Lyman receiver sight on this gun it's already most likely drilled and tapped from the factory.  Two little plug screws just ahead of the hammer on the left side of the receiver.  It's got a ramp front sight.  If a moron filed the factory front sight and screwed it up, a Marbles, Lyman, or Williams front sight can be shoved into the dovetail.  Have a gunsmith or someone with a sight pusher do this for you.  If you try to pound the front sight out of its ramp you could damage or break off the ramp.  Gunsmiths have sight pushing tools that work with a screw-type pusher, they can remove your old sight and shove in another in a matter of a couple of minutes with one--and with no damage done. New front sights with your choice of beads are available from several suppliers, and only cost a few bucks. You'll be happy with that gun, and before you're done you'll get much better groups than the ones in your pics--which, by the way, aren't bad for starters.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »
If you want to mount a Williams or Lyman receiver sight on this gun it's already most likely drilled and tapped from the factory.  Two little plug screws just ahead of the hammer on the left side of the receiver.  It's got a ramp front sight.  If a moron filed the factory front sight and screwed it up, a Marbles, Lyman, or Williams front sight can be shoved into the dovetail.  Have a gunsmith or someone with a sight pusher do this for you.  If you try to pound the front sight out of its ramp you could damage or break off the ramp.  Gunsmiths have sight pushing tools that work with a screw-type pusher, they can remove your old sight and shove in another in a matter of a couple of minutes with one--and with no damage done. New front sights with your choice of beads are available from several suppliers, and only cost a few bucks. You'll be happy with that gun, and before you're done you'll get much better groups than the ones in your pics--which, by the way, aren't bad for starters.

And once you get the front sight fixed you can go find that Bubba with a file. Im sure hes done this to other innocent rifles as well and needs to be stopped before he does it again.  ;)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 01:36:44 PM »
Higher velocity ammo like the 150 or Hornady LE will probably be right on.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Dee

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »
brianscott12, a Lyman Model 66 Receiver Sight, and an XS front post will make a great shooter out of your Winchester. I have had one on my Model 94 for almost 40 years until recently when I switched to a Marbles Tang sight due to my aged eyes. It will make a 200 yard rifle out of it, and will show you the potential of a Winchester Model 94 3030.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline pdrhtr

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 05:25:04 PM »
you did fine on that purchase, here in California I'd be damn happy to pay what you did then I'd shoot the piss out of it every chance I got

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 05:30:25 PM »
How bout contact your buddies on the other forums, and tell them the Mechanic will take all the functioning '94s they can muster up for $50.00 - $100.00.  I got cash. ;D

I'd be happy to happen up on a deal just like you got.  Around here that gun would be at least $300.00.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)