Author Topic: How do you like this Nikon?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
How do you like this Nikon?
« on: September 06, 2010, 06:23:47 PM »
I just got a 35 whelen, and sitting on top is a Nikon Monarch UCC 4x40mm.  I am a Leupold man, so I have very limited experience with Nikons.  Does anybody have any experience with this scope?  Good, bad or ugly?  Any idea what this is worth also, as I will probably upgrade to a Leupold at some point and time.  Thanks for any help.
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline sweetwyominghome

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
Re: How do you like this Nikon?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:20:40 PM »
The Monarchs are fantastic performers and feature excellent light transmission and the ability to resolve fine detail under low-light, low-contrast situations.

In used condition, that particular model generally goes for around $150.

As to "upgrading to a Leupold," you will be upgrading in price paid and not in performance.

In-depth comparisons of critical optical categories with comparable Leupold and Nikon models will end with the Nikon having the upper hand.   

The newer Monarchs are particularly impressive and rate favorably with both the Minox and Zeiss Conquests. In that group, the VX-III/VX-3 would come in fourth.

There is nothing wrong with Leupold scopes (save for the Rifleman, which is another story altogether), but they are far from the final word in quality optics. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 02:29:46 AM »
nothing wrong with a monarch. Im not a buckmaster or prostaff fan but the monarchs are great scopes.
blue lives matter

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 07:51:02 AM »
As to "upgrading to a Leupold," you will be upgrading in price paid and not in performance.

You might be right, but I have always had great experience with Leupolds. And my best friend is a Nikon man, and I'm a Leupold man,  I would never live it down if I showed up with a NIKON. ;D
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 11:29:18 PM »
I have given this thread ample time to play out so that I don't hi-jack.
A pro-staff was mentioned.
What about the low cost pro-staff 4x 12-40 for .22 rim fire.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 02:15:16 AM »
William to me anyway on a quality 22 that im going to use for hunting i like a scope with parlex set for a .22 or a scope with the ability to ajust paralex. If its just going to be used for plinking about any cheap scope will serve you well.
blue lives matter

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 02:58:12 AM »
Well, I would like a scope with a bit more versitility than just a one sided option.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 01:26:03 PM »
Iv'e had a number of 4 x 40's from different mfg.'s in the past, including a Leupold. Last year I bought a new Monarch
4 x 40 for kicks because it was on a closeout sale and I like single magnification scopes. They are getting increasingly difficult to find. It's a wow. I do not think you can upgrade it with anything short of $1200. ;)
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 03:35:12 AM »
I really like Nikon scopes.  I have more Nikons than all other brands combined.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 04:10:06 PM »
I have had this scope for 2-3 years, got it on clearance for $150.  It is my second favorite scope.  The Weaver Classic shotgun scope fits my needs better, but the Nikon has better lenses. 

Overall, this Nikon has the best lenses in my limited scope experience (VX-2, Legend, Banner, Trophy, etc).  The detail that this scope allows me to see is fantastic.  How much would it help in the real world for hunting?  Don't know.  But, it is fun to look around with it.

It is reliable and the adjustments are firm.  I REALLY like the finger-adjustable turrets versus the old-timey coin slot turrets.  I know that shooters are a conservative bunch, but the coin slot turrets are just a pain the butt.

Only "complaint" that I would have is that the Monarch is too big.  The little Weaver shotgun scope is more my speed for walking around or for the kids to use.

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 11:16:21 AM »
If you upgrade to a Luepold, you'll have to get a VX3 to beat it.

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 11:08:57 PM »
I just got a 35 whelen, and sitting on top is a Nikon Monarch UCC 4x40mm.  I am a Leupold man, so I have very limited experience with Nikons.  Does anybody have any experience with this scope?  Good, bad or ugly?  Any idea what this is worth also, as I will probably upgrade to a Leupold at some point and time.  Thanks for any help.

I have one of the low end Prostaff 4x40 scopes and I like it. I expect that the Monarch,being a higher grade scope should be much better. If you need a scope with different specs,it makes sense to upgrade. On the other hand,I can see replacing a 4x40 with another 4x40 with similar features,just to have a Leupold. I could see if it was a Tasco or something,as you couldnt trust it,but that Nikon should be fine.

Offline 03A2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 05:55:02 PM »
Little late, but felt like weighing in with my thoughts.  Like others seem to be saying, I feel that you can get the same quality at a little lower cost with the nikon.  I use nikons on my lower recoiling rifles and binoculars, and have a leupold on my heavier kicking one.  I am a stock crawler so if the rifle kicks a bit I just mount a leupold as far forward as the mount will allow and the longer eye relief of the loopy line gives me a good view and no scope eyebrow.