Author Topic: LandOwner, How's it coming?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline qajaq59

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
LandOwner, How's it coming?
« on: September 07, 2010, 04:36:13 AM »
How's your research coming on the casting? I think you'll like it, and it'll save you a good chunk of change if you shoot a lot. I don't do any pistol shooting anymore. But I'm saving about 20 cents every time I pull the trigger on the 30-30. And considering how much I shoot every week it adds up fast.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: LandOwner, How's it coming?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 12:16:32 PM »
I made my FIRST bullet casting PURCHASE in real dollars - for a pair of Aviator gloves to wear when casting.  The gloves and the free lead are as far as I have ventured.  I am picking up wheel weights from the local auto dealer too!  I have not found any muffin tins for moulds, cast iron pot for smelting, turkey frier for heat, ladles, or purchased any bullet moulds...but I am READING A LOT if that still counts.  You can say that progress has been slow, like the economy, but I will get there.

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 12:34:38 PM »
If you hit some of the second hand shops and a few garage sales you should be able to pick up some muffin tins and maybe a few of those aluminum corn cob molds. That's where I got mine. And if you get any pure lead, hang on to it. I use a 50/50 pb and WW alloy in the 30-30. It's sized to .3095 but when I recovered them from the sugar sand they had expanded to .580. And except for the lube they had lost no weight at all. Even the gas check was still on. I use 24.5 grs of IMR3031 and the Lyman #311041 mold. That was designed for that caliber and it has worked well for probably 75 years. If you want to try some before you buy a mold I'll mail some over to you. Just send me a PM or an e-mail with your address.

I wish I still lived near by. I could give you a hand. Oh, and the reading is a really smart move.
Qajaq

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:31:22 AM »
LandOwner the offer I made you a while back still stands on the smelting pot and ingot moulds bullet lube Flux and the other stuff I told you about pm me if you still want this stuff made for you D Crockett

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 01:02:10 AM »
PM sent...

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 02:41:27 AM »
I wouldn't obsess too much over an ingot mold, I have cast forever and have never bought anything specifically for that use, I finally a few years ago made one out of angle iron. You know unless you can find the stove and pot cheap you will probably end up buying a bottom draw pot anyway. A stove and pot pretty much confine you to working outside, and you about have to have a little Lyman ladle which you will probably have to order, and although not expensive will be another thing that you will probably only use for awhile and then retire when you get a bottom draw pot.

I know this stuff because I been there, done that. If I were doing it again I would have sprung for a Lee pot first off, and never went the stove and pot route. They are a pretty small investment which you will probably do eventually do anyway.

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 02:50:51 PM »
I have a small bottom pour pot and it was great, I did a lot of 32's and 38's, but now that I have some 50 molds it does not go very far. ;D
remember the starfish

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 10:29:57 AM »
Update.  D.Crockett sold and is shipping me a smelting pot, some angle iron ingot moulds, flux, lube, some of his cast bullets, a magnet with handle, a "reference" zinc wheel weight (to stay away from the smelting pot)and a couple other goodies.  The Aviator Gloves are going back.  They are not completely leather and I have it under the best authority that if you sweat, and I do, to avoid the "Tinsel Fairy" (keep water away) and use long sleeves, long pants, close toed shoes, face shield, and leather gloves.  I am purchasing the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook then Veral Smith barrel slug kit.  After that, I will attempt to smelt some of the wheel weights and the lead together with tin solder, pour into ingot moulds and see what I get.  Bullet moulds will be after that.  Not there yet, but am a Work in Progress.

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 01:16:43 PM »
Welcome to  a very addicting hobby. You'll have a good time with it. And you'll also enjoy reading the casting manual. There's a ton of info in there. It's well worth the money.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 08:48:26 AM »
FOR THE RECORD:

D.Crockett fulfilled my order in a unique and highly equitable manner. Not only did I receive what I purchased (fast), he included the local paper's Duncan Donuts ad from which I can get another $10 - $15 worth of "Buy Back" as they are right across the street from me. Now that is foresight!!! How did he know??? D truly went the distance to change my inertia into momentum for casting my own. When he got "bit" by the casting bug...read about it here http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,210587.msg1099143786.html#msg1099143786 ...he got it in a main vein and has been giving back to the art/sport/science ever since. A Good Man - that's D.Crockett.
============================================================

I am certainly happy with the Sampler assortment of 30-30 x 165 gr (heavy hitters) and x 150 GC, 38 Spc x 125 gr and 157 gr, and 45-70 x 405 gr (BIG DANG HOLE) boolets.  What moulds made these and what are their respective diameters?  

What's that tab directly across from the pour spout on the pot?  the one that has a horizontal slot and a circular hole in it?

The lead flux (candle wax) smells good.  Do the ingots and bullets smell like that when they are finished?  Nice!

How do you get that blue stuff (bullet flux) into the groove?  I will be glad when that Lyman book arrives...

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 09:59:35 AM »
FOR THE RECORD:  A Good Man - that's D.Crockett.

I'll second that!   ;D  The man is generous to a fault! 
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 12:14:15 PM »
LandOwner the slot is to put the ladel in when not in use the round hole is to hold the thermometer so you can keep a eye on your temp. so you can keep the temp under the melting temp of ZN D Crockett

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 12:22:50 PM »
Good to know.  I was thinking the circle was a good place for a chain to secure it from the garage rafters (about 10-feet up) so I don't spill the molten contents on the floor if I tip it over...probably that tab isn't strong enough to hold the pot and molten lead's weight combined.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 07:43:40 AM »
you took care of your personal safety with protective clothing, I'd look at protecting the floor as well if it is worth it.

I had window sill fan standing near my molt pot one day when I dropped more water into it then intended, instant  explosion and now my fan has a nice splatter of lead over parts of plastic grill and fan blade. Forget about taking it off it is embedded for life !!
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 08:31:47 AM »
I have heard the warnings.  The 4-y.o. porch is where the propane 10-foot pigtail and BBQ grill is located. The porch concrete slab on grade is fiber reinforced.  Still, it is extremely porous and LO's Grouch would ratchet it up a notch if I streak it in indelible metallic silver.  The exterior siding there is plastic, so it is not a good choice for diminishing 595 degrees of molten lead unscathed.  I have not located a turkey frying rig yet to extend my range away from the house and out to the slab around the shed, which is the most favorable place to cast.  Maybe I should have the propane company make me a 25-foot pigtail to connect to the galvanized pipe that is supplied by the 250-gallon in-ground tank!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 09:11:54 AM »
It boggles the mind :D
how about a simple table, a LEE electric meltpot and a long extension cord of proper gauge wire. My pot has a 500 watt element in it.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 11:46:35 AM »
I was thinking of mass smelting the nearly 800#'s of lead into ingots of suitable size that would be more appropriately sized for a 5# - 10# electric pot (which I do not yet have).  Is that wrong thinking?

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 12:20:46 PM »
800#s may be a bit of work all at once. But you're a lot younger then me. LOL

I like to keep my ingots in 1/2, 1, and 2 lb sizes. I only use a 20# pot and they go in without drastically changing the temperature. Plus it's easier when I want to mix, or change, a small batch of alloy to try it. But everyone has their own way of doing things, so you'll settle on what is best for you after a while.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 07:32:11 PM »
I presume those 800 lb are not in one chunck :o

For large pieces, nothing legal  beats what my son calls a tiger torch.

I would melt maybe 40 to 50 lb into smaller ingots the size which would fit into a LEE pot. Once you start casting bullets you will get a better idea just how much lead you will use per casting session and adjust.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 05:35:09 AM »
40# and 10# chunks.  Getting them mixed with wheel weights for a harder cast is the idea.
Getting started is also the idea.  I still need moulds and the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook.
I'm about $125 into this so far with another (say) $250 to go - maybe (depending on how many moulds I purchase, whose brand, and the electric pot).

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 04:22:49 AM »
Landowner, it might be best to start with one mold. Preferably a double. Those 6 bangers for the hand gun ammo can be a bit frustrating until you get a little expertise with casting.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »
I have enough trouble with double cavity molds. Those 6 holers scare the hell out of me, unless they were just 36 cal balls.

Just something to clutter up your mind with. 

One(1) cubic foot of lead weighs 750 lb. ;)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 01:01:24 PM »
A Health Care Provider in the field of Nuclear Medicine provided 18 transportation canisters each with a 30# casting of soft lead and a pair of 8# insert castings.  That's 828# of lead. 

I have also picked up 46# of wheel weights to distribute into the 828#'s of lead.  That's 2.22# of wheel weights to 40# of soft lead. 

Does this seem sufficient?  Or will the lead smelted in this manner still be soft? 

How much tin should be added? 

Dang I need that Lyman Handbook.

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 02:32:41 PM »
I have also picked up 46# of wheel weights to distribute into the 828#'s of lead.  That's 2.22# of wheel weights to 40# of soft lead.  
For my 30 cal rifles I use half soft and half wheel weights. Not sure what the guys use for their pistols? If it was me though I would only mix maybe 40 lbs at a time until you are sure what you are going to do with it. With a 175 grain bullets you'll get roughly 40 to each pound, so 40 llbs will keep you shooting for a whle. I only use about 130 lbs a year in my 30-30.
You might want to keep a bunch of the soft lead for a muzzle loader too.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »
Understood that ~50/50 or 60/40 lead to WW's is a good mix.  I want to start smelting something, have 4 ingot moulds that D.Crockett made for me, and I don't shoot a traditional rifle.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 06:39:04 AM »
If you get a GC mold it would add to the cost of the bullets but would make the right hardness mix less important.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 07:16:09 PM »
i had a  10# lee bottom pour for 20 years
when  it  died  i got the  20# lee bottom pour
i  wish the 10 pounder  died sooner

i have  a few moulds...you've used  my  357 slugs
a  lubrisizer  casting pot

and  little experience
if  its worth  the 175  mile drive up here
you  welcome to play with the toys
and  learn  what little  i know

you  can melt  the lead  with a torch
on some corragated  metal
then  chop the  ''sticks''  to length with an  ax
[then  i bought an ingot  mold]
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.