Author Topic: Nitrex By Weaver Review  (Read 3521 times)

Offline Huffmanite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Nitrex By Weaver Review
« on: September 07, 2010, 07:10:12 AM »
Few weeks ago I noticed Natchez Shooters Supply selling discontinued models of Nitrex TR1 and TR2 scopes for reduced prices and that Nitrex had a rebate program of $50 or $100 on scopes.  Did a little research on brand, checked Nitrex prices elsewhere and decided to buy a TR2 model 3-15X42 SF.  The TR2 series is Nitrex version of Weaver's Super Slam scope.  ATK owns both Nitrex and Weaver.  About 4 months ago, I'd purchased a Federal Intensity scope (a discontinued brand owned by ATK) from Natchez that had rather good optics and that same scope still sold by Weaver as one of their 40/44 models. My Intensity scope was about 1/2 the price of the Weaver.  So, my experience with the Intensity/Weaver scope contributed to my decision to try a Nitrex.

I'm a retired guy that got back into guns/reloading/shooting about 5 years ago after a 40 plus year absence from it.  Several years ago, I joined a private shooting range and try to shoot there about every Sunday morning.  Generally same guys there then and they are quite experienced and serious about rifles, reloading, hunting.  Nothing cheap about their rifles and scopes.  You'll see the Leopolds, Nikons, Burris, Sightrons, Zeiss and etc. on their rifles used for hunting and their benchrest custom rifles.

So, mounted the Nitrex on a 7mm-08 rifle, bore sighted it and took it to range to zero in the scope.  Also wanted my shooting buddies to evaluate the Nitrex and confirm my intial opinion of the scope.  Asked five of them to sit at bench with rifle and check out the scope, play with the scope's adjustments, view my 100 yard target and the 200 yard berm beyond it.  None had ever seen a Nitrex scope before.

Gents were very impressed with my Nitrex.  Basically, all thought the Japanese optics were very good, equal in clarity, brightness and etc. to their top brand scopes.  One guy, a very serious hunter and benchrest shooter, that I knew would be one of the more critical in evaluating the scope, turned to me after viewing thru the scope for a couple of minutes and trying its adjustments said, "dang this has some really good glass in it."  All liked its features/adjustments/focus and etc.  Later, when a group discussion among us took place about the Nitrex, same guy would make a comment all agreed with.  "if the scope holds up, has no internal problems, then its a heck of a scope for a heck of a price."   With the $100 Nitrex rbate, scope cost me $218.   Its Weaver super slam version sells for around $480.  One of bigger internet scope sellers has same Nitrex scope, but with a higher priced reticle, sells it for $440.