Author Topic: Buying Cast / Cost  (Read 1479 times)

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Buying Cast / Cost
« on: September 07, 2010, 11:56:19 AM »
I was looking at the price of cast bullets and the selection available.
The cost of 158gr RNFP is a lot lower at Missouri BulletCo. than OregonTrail.
Am I missing something or are the Laser cast from the later that much better?
The hardness of MBC is 12, and I'm hard pressed to find info on the LaserCast.
Wanting to work up target load and at almost half off is a bargin in my book. -g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: Buying Cast / Cost
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 02:03:56 PM »
Let me ask the question a differant way.
What store bought cast bullets are worth loading as both a target and have good hunting load performance?
I know is all releative to hardness and velosity.
Anyone use Missouri cast?
-g

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 02:08:31 PM »
I'm just posting because I'm also curious and I want to track this thread. Personally, I'm still casting wheel weights in a Lee 158 2 cavity mold, and they've been plenty accurate and plenty hard with my loads, but I thought about buying some commercial cast just to see the difference.

Mahalo, Chaps
held fast

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 06:08:15 PM »
Do we have bullet manufacturing people on this site and are opinions or of specific companies and bullets bad juju here?
Maybe I'm in the wrong section as no one will answer on how effective 357 mag or max is in a specific cast bullet. -g

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 11:21:03 PM »
I haven't tried a LOT of different manufacturers but there was no noticeable difference in quality or hardness.  Cast works well in .357.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline nicholst55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 04:51:31 AM »
Oregon Trail Laser Cast runs around 15-16 BHN, or about the same as linotype.  IMHO, their bullets are too hard for optimal use in about 85-90% of handgun loads.  But.  They frequently shoot surprisingly well in lower pressure loads - loads that they should cause severe leading with. 

That said, a lot of people are highly satisfied with Missouri Bullet Co's products.  If I were buying commercial cast bullets, I'd take a long, hard look at their offerings.

"I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto!"  Dorothy, in 'The Wizard of Oz.'

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 05:27:21 AM »
We use MOB for a lot of our target and paper punching loads. They are great bullets at a great price. When it comes to hunting bullets in cast we use Lead Head. I have specific requirements for both that are met by the respective companies. MOB bullets are certainly the better choice if you are planning on punching paper. For hunting I don't prefer either of your choices, but it is due to the way I hunt. That being said, the MOB bullets will perform just as well if not better than the OT bullets on game for 95% of shots that would be taken.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 12:04:10 PM »
due to the way I hunt

Reed1911, could you explain the relationship to the way you hunt and bullet selection. I shoot all cast right now, and I'd like to know what the prevailing wisdom would be. It may be that my home cast are already doing what I need them to do and commercial bullets would not make a difference worth noting.

Mahalo, Chaps
held fast

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 01:33:41 PM »
I prefer heavy bullets with a very wide meplat (face of the bullet) and I tend to hit the shoulders. I also like a true Keith bullet with a long heavy nose, that is my only real complaint about MOB is what they list as a "Keith" style bullet is "Keith Style" and not a true Keith. The lands are as wide as the groove, but the center of balance is still well behind the 1/2 way point of the length. MAybe that is just my expectation of what a Keith bullet should be. Leadhead has the only cast bullets I have never had break apart and I like them for that and the heavy for caliber weights they offer. From a sales standpoint they also have a better finish to them in that they are much smoother and dull less due to the alloy, so they are a better looking bullet. However, the LH bullets in traditional weights and styles for target work show little to no difference in accuracy than the MOB so the cost factor comes in, LH bullets are not expensive, but MOB is still quite a bit less.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 02:36:01 PM »
I've used both Oregon Trail and Missouri Bullets for paper punching loads.  I've had success with both, but use mostly MB now because of the cost savings.  The 38 Special bullets can actually be pushed pretty hard (for 38's), assuming they fit your gun well enough.  Don't get too much leading, just some minimal stuff, but that's because they aren't quite a perfect fit for my gun.

I haven't tired their 357 mag bullets yet.  Though I have tried their 500 S&W Crushers along with the 45-70 Buffalo bullets, which both have the BHN rating of 18.  The 500 S&W bullets work pretty damn well.  I've pushed them up to around 1400 FPS without leading, but they fit my gun pretty perfectly.  The 45-70 Buffalo bullets are about .001 undersized for my gun, and when I start to push them up to 1600 FPS they start to lead a little.  Nothing terrible, but still there.

I don't know if I'd hunt with them though.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 02:52:29 PM »
Just to throw in another good cast company, I've had great luck with all I've purchased from him is Dardas Cast bullets.  I shoot his .45 RNFP 200gr, .45 LSWC 255gr and his .458 RNFP 350gr. .45-70 bullet.  It's only like 63 bucks for 1000 of his 158 LSWC's:

http://www.dardascastbullets.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=dardas&Category_Code=38SWC
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 05:31:47 PM »
Don't  over look Gas Check cast bullets If you want to shoot them hot and less chance of leading  ... A copper cap on the base of the bullet    ---  More comenly used on rifle....  I use them on hot 357 loads..... The cost is more --- so I don't use them in regular target loads              Dan

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 06:36:04 PM »
At the cost saving and after talking with Missouri Bullet Co. this afternoon, I went ahead and put in an order for 4 lots of 500.
Staying under the limit for the $13 shipping I ordered.
1500 - #1 Ranger (.358 158gr RNFPM) Brinell 18
500 - .357 Striker(.358 180gr RNFP) Brinell 18
They have very good pricing.
I asked them about the 180gr being used in a maxi. They said I could go 1200-1400fps, maybe a bit faster without leading.
I'm going to experiment with paper killing loads and try and find a sweet spot with mag and maxi.
Range reports to follow.
-g

Offline barber

• Contributor
  • lilke hunting with handguns, metal detecting,
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 06:50:41 AM »
   I'm a little late here, but I've had my best luck, and the best bullets from DRY CREEK BULLET WORKS. and they have the Keith type bullets
barber

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 02:01:54 PM »
over on Castboolits.com , Pat Marlin makes gas check makers that have been rated a very high scale by many users. he also makes a plain base cast boolit gas check that is said to be excellent and works perfectly. haven't had the chance to buy any myself, yet, but I DO intend to. I just have to budget being on S.S. :) Casting from W.W. or whatever and making your own gas checks out of copper or aluminum beer cans or flashing (my neighbors have been saving ALL their beer cans and making a MOST WORTHY effort to see that I don't run short of cans. they say it's a HOLY MISSION for them to keep me supplied ;D ::) I go and pick them up due to the fact many of them have trouble walking and carrying at the same time  :D ) and then crimping them on while lubing them seems to me to be much more cost effective. now if I could figure out how to make the powder and primers cost effectively, we would be REALLY cost effective :o ;D. Though, I do have some ideas on making BP caps for my BP pistol.

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »
I have used WW,s for decades at speeds up to 1500 fps in rifles with no problems, and let me tell you that any bullet 250gr and up at that speed will zip right through any deer/ black bear sized game. I use 300gr 44,340 gr 45/70, and 440gr 50 cal. and I think they will pass through any north american game. 
remember the starfish