Author Topic: Firecracker cannon  (Read 8987 times)

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
Re: Firecracker cannon
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 06:57:24 AM »
Here's one we made on the rapid prototyper.
I've thought about making a few changes and seeing if the machine shop could create one.
Always seemed like a barrel of fun.

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics...... :-\
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 02:42:23 PM »
Moose,  Nice looking weld on the barrel.

Notice that one side plate is threaded so the nut is just a lock nut .

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 02:46:20 PM »
Yes I will try that , it has been long enough since I posted that I forgot what I did to size the photos.  ::) This is a video of another design that shows some problems with hinge position and weight distribution , it opens up when fired . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ECa5Z-wCs&NR=1   . The barrel weight distribution of my design also lets it open up when fired , so I compressed the hinge by the hinge bolt such that it will support its own weight closed when held by the trail . Now it fires without opening up . The hinge can be made to operate smoothly by adjusting the bolt and lock nut and slightly relieving the exposed area around the hinge when closed.

If he shortened the barrel at the front it may help keep the breech closed.  Because of the long barrel, there's not enough weight at the hinge.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 03:33:59 PM »
Those guys made a pretty neat looking firecracker cannon.  Then compared to Moose53's weld  they use a clob of snot to hold the barrel on...The guns look like aluminum to me.

Offline Meche_03

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 04:59:13 PM »
I agree looks like aluminum, cold welds, and nose heavy.  If it was made of steel it might have enough enertia to stay closed even if it was nose heavy.
NRA Life Member
Mechanical '03, Manufacturing '05, Mining '11 and Explosives '11 Engineer
I should be out in the desert blowing up the sunshine.

Offline XxLT250RxX

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 07:18:26 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up until that time I had never seen one before, but this little field piece intrigued me because it opened up like a break action shot gun. I studied it trying to figure if it was a .............................

I have considered building on of these to set on my desk.  I think it would be a good conversation piece but I am a little worried about the design.  Has anyone thought about what will happen when someone finds it after I am gone and like Dan don't know what it was designed to do?  Dan was smart enough to figure it out.  What if the next guy is not the sharpest knife in the drawer  and loads it with a fuse, powder , and ball?  It may not explode since it will open without much resistance but I still would no want to be near it when it is set off.  Not trying to be a stick in the mud, just don't want anyone to get hurt.  Maybe it could be marked somehow to alert the next owner to its purpose.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 08:23:07 PM »
Moose,
I just looked at the end result of your labors (and the vid), and your gun appears a lot more solid than "Ray-Vin's" reproduction of an earlier cracker cannon as seen in the link that DD got from the internet and posted here. I like it!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 10:18:17 PM »
What if the next guy is not the sharpest knife in the drawer  and loads it with a fuse, powder , and ball?

You could go the Ruger route and stamp it with the whole instruction book on its outer surface.  Probably LOAD WITH 1.5" FIRECRACKERS ONLY would be adequate.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 03:58:48 AM »

I have considered building on of these to set on my desk.  I think it would be a good conversation piece but I am a little worried about the design.  Has anyone thought about what will happen when someone finds it after I am gone and like Dan don't know what it was designed to do?  Dan was smart enough to figure it out.  What if the next guy is not the sharpest knife in the drawer  and loads it with a fuse, powder , and ball?  It may not explode since it will open without much resistance but I still would no want to be near it when it is set off.  Not trying to be a stick in the mud, just don't want anyone to get hurt.  Maybe it could be marked somehow to alert the next owner to its purpose.

We can't prevent some one in the future from mis using our guns.  We can do our best to make it sure it's not easy to mis use our guns. 

Make the gun to fit a fire cracker. Don't up size so it fit projectiles.   You could Rugerize the gun by stamping it firecracker only- won't read and uglifies the gun. 

I will also say that I don't  think this design will do anything more than pop open when fired with projectile and powder.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 05:36:48 PM »
Worked on wheels today .They are 3-3/8in dia x 1/4in wide , holes are 7/8in dia .

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 05:40:42 PM »
I will also say that I don't  think this design will do anything more than pop open when fired with projectile and powder.

This would be an interesting experiment for someone who has one of these.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2010, 05:46:22 PM »
I got the proto type together today . Cut 1in off the barrel , made it look a little more balanced . Have to sandblast and paint it black and the wheels red . I tried black powder in it and with the clamped hinge it shoots just fine with FFFg and a tp paper wad .

Offline Double D

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2010, 05:49:36 PM »
I got the proto type together today . Cut 1in off the barrel , made it look a little more balanced . Have to sandblast and paint it black and the wheels red . I tried black powder in it and with the clamped hinge it shoots just fine with FFFg and a tp paper wad .

What happens when you fire  with blackpowder and wad and the hinge isn't clamped.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2010, 06:08:58 PM »
Sorry about that , I was so amazed that it worked with black powder that I didn't try it with a loose hinge . I can do that and let you know ::)

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2010, 04:04:48 AM »
Great job on your cannon, does look better with the trimmed barrel too.  Some lucky kids out there!
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2010, 10:57:42 AM »
Nice job! I like... ;D

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2010, 04:05:45 PM »
Tested it with black powder again today . With the hinge loose it just pops it open without moving the paper wad . Didn't lift off the ground or do anything violent . With the hinge tight it will shoot with about as much blow by as a black powder revolver . Was going to paint the wheels red but thought I would try silver

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2010, 05:58:48 PM »
Nice clean lines.  Go for the calendar.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
Thanks ,it is too late now to get calender photos but will get some for next year of them being used by my nephew and niece. Included are basic dimensions for any wanting to scale it . Barrel 6-3/4 in x 1 in dia , Side plates 2 in x 1 in x 1/4 in , Trail 5 in x 1/2 in sq , Axle 4 in x 1/2 in sq , Wheels 3-3/8 in dia x 1/4 in  (holes 7/8 in dia).

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Thank you
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2010, 08:10:41 AM »
it's on my short list of things to build . I have 2 grandsons who would love to play with Grandpa's toys  8)
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »
Had to change the wheels to red , thought the silver would grow on me but it didn't

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2010, 06:35:15 PM »
Maybe do both trail and wheels in olive drab.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2010, 07:14:50 PM »
This is the first of four cannons , so I will try different colors on the other three . I want to try desert sand , olive drab , and the more yellow WW1 olive drab . Will try to get a side by side comparison before they are shipped off to their new homes. ;D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2010, 09:51:37 PM »
I know you're not taking a poll, but my vote goes for the red wheels anyway. ;)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2010, 04:32:10 AM »
 Barrel, trail in Black and wheels in Red...

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2010, 07:44:15 AM »
I like the black and red color combo.  Good job on the cannon!

Offline Double D

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2010, 06:54:45 PM »
Thanks ,it is too late now to get calender photos but will get some for next year of them being used by my nephew and niece. Included are basic dimensions for any wanting to scale it . Barrel 6-3/4 in x 1 in dia , Side plates 2 in x 1 in x 1/4 in , Trail 5 in x 1/2 in sq , Axle 4 in x 1/2 in sq , Wheels 3-3/8 in dia x 1/4 in  (holes 7/8 in dia).

It's not to late you still have a couple hours.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2010, 07:17:48 AM »
Yes I know but the photo I wanted of my niece and nephew playing with them is not available yet, it should make a more interesting presentation. I will work on getting one for next year and thanks for the invitation.

Offline b. snipes

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2010, 01:47:35 PM »
Great looking cannon. I like the color combo also. I am the guy responsible for the post #29 aluminum cannon. I wanted it to be strictly a firecracker (harmless??) toy cannon. If someone tries BP in it the breach will open as mentioned. My aluminum welding is poor, sorry. More preheat probably. Anyway fun. The 5/16" bore works best. I now also drill the breach end to 3/8" to a depth of 1.625" and have a tapered reamer for the transition of diameters. This give the cracker a little more room to burst. I like the longer barrels so the flash has more time to ignite the firecracker in the barrel. I keep one loaded on my shop desk so I can step outside as needed for a little fun. beech

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2010, 02:30:04 PM »
I want to thank you for the inspiration on the wheels . I was having trouble with a wheel design until I saw your setup.Just for reference a 5in barrel has no problem lighting the fuse. Yes they are a very cool tension relief. ;D  Robin