Author Topic: .50 TC "Black Mountain Magnum" Sidelock (new to me) HELP?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
.50 TC "Black Mountain Magnum" Sidelock (new to me) HELP?
« on: September 12, 2010, 06:12:41 PM »
I've been hunting deer with different front stuffers for 35 years, but I'm still a beginner.   And I'm NOT being modest when I say "beginner".

I tried some 245 grain .44 cal. sabots today over 115 grains (actual) ten year old Pyrodex RS with musket caps.   Hangfires and poor accuracy.  Shot better with 370 grain maxiballs last week, & 70 grains actual same powder.  Didn't shoot much then because I had to change out the front sight.

Anyways, the gun is rated for 150 grain loads and musket caps.   I would think that is way too much powder for the maxiballs and I don't have any interest in going that far.

So it seems I should get some new powder (granulated) but what kind?   Also, does anyone already have a good shooting load for a rifle like this?

Is the maxiball a good deer killer? 

Can anyone help me , please?

Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Landngroove

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Re: .50 TC "Black Mountain Magnum" Sidelock (new to me) HELP?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 04:20:13 AM »
That T/C .50 Black Mountain Magnum has a 1 in 28" twist rate.  It should be able to shoot Maxi-Balls or Maxi-Hunters. I would definately be using Goex FFG real black powder to start with. Much more positve ignition than any of the BP substitutes. I would also start my loads at 80 grains, and work up, in 5 grain increments.  Also IMHO loads over 100 grains in a sidelock are a waste of powder, as accuracy is more than likely to decrease. I would try a .50 T/C Maxi-Ball, 370 grain or Maxi-Hunter 350 grain, are also good. T/C says a felt wad (Bore Button) over the powder in fast twist barrels increases accuracy when using Maxi-Balls/Maxi-Hunters, but I have had good results without one. Oh, and Yes, Maxi-Balls/Hunters, are good deer killers. Good luck.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .50 TC "Black Mountain Magnum" Sidelock (new to me) HELP?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 06:24:30 AM »
Please read the rules on what can be discussed in this forum.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,102791.msg1098280539.html#msg1098280539
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain