Author Topic: home made 44 jackets  (Read 717 times)

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
home made 44 jackets
« on: September 12, 2010, 07:06:46 PM »
In another forum here on GB they are discussing making 44 jacketed bullets from 40 S&W brass. I know some of the 375/ 38-55 shooters make jacked bullets from 380 cases with good results. Have any of you guys made any of these from 40 S&W? Any info on pressure or loads ? Thanks.
remember the starfish

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: home made 44 jackets
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 04:22:35 PM »
Didn't you look at the post?
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline manatee1947

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 05:28:51 PM »
I did not see any estimations of pressure or load data, I would look at moderate loads out of a 444 , not a handgun, that is why I asked here. I have read of the 380 cases in 38/55's here, that is why I asked. I Measured some fired , unsized cases and they were a perfect match for my jacketed bulk Remingtons, +- 001. I can see where a swaging operation would make them very usable and negate the need for a mold, just pour and shoot, maybe even just load with shot and swage. The more data available before I start experimenting the better.
remember the starfish

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 03:48:36 PM »
Gotcha.. wasn't trying to be rude...
Tom

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 04:25:38 PM »
  Since I HAVE a .44 mold and a lead pot  for CASTING BULLETS, I do not think I will try the 40 cases for MY .44 SBH. I am not sure what the benefits would be. A good cast .44 slug has done ALL I've ever needed the .44 mag to do.  The concept seems like busy work!

Offline manatee1947

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 06:03:33 PM »
I also have several molds for the 44 caliber, but this would allow someone to use surplus 40 cases without a mold, you could use pure lead, or even shot possibly. It would negate sizing and lubing, and the case disruption would possibly perform better in heavier animals, create a larger wound cavity and better blood trail. I definitely will not be discarding anymore 40 cases.....just in case ;)
remember the starfish

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 04:06:56 PM »
A lot of us have molds and lead pots, and there may not be any benefits, but there are those of us who like to try and see the results. My attempt with a full case of wheel weight material and 10 grains of Blue Dot produced a fairly easy recoiling , accurate load.
Tom

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 05:45:30 PM »
 Since I HAVE a .44 mold and a lead pot  for CASTING BULLETS, I do not think I will try the 40 cases for MY .44 SBH. I am not sure what the benefits would be. A good cast .44 slug has done ALL I've ever needed the .44 mag to do.  The concept seems like busy work!

+1  and, i have a full swage set up too...

DM

Offline nicholst55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 06:20:53 PM »
A number of folks at Cast Boolits are doing this - using various caliber fired brass to make jackets for other calibers, with excellent results.  I have a die to make .40 S&W into .44 bullets, but won't get to try it out until I return to the States in 2012.

The .40 S&W case can be used to form bullets up to .458", although not all reloading presses are up to the challenge.  I would think that 10mm brass could be used to make some dandy .45-70 or .458 Win Mag bullets.  A lot of guys are making .40 bullets from 9mm brass, also.

As to the why of it?  Because I can, I guess.  Some states at least used to require the use of a JHP bullet for handgun hunting (in at least some cartridges) - not sure if any of them still do or not.  Them J-word bullets are expensive, so I like to save money by using scrap lead and (nearly) give-away .40 S&W brass.

For more info to include some tested load data, go here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41

"I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto!"  Dorothy, in 'The Wizard of Oz.'

Offline manatee1947

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 10:05:17 AM »
Per Tom W: One of my cast loads for my 444 is 16 gr of Blue dot so I think I will try some with cast starting loads with that and 2400.
remember the starfish