Author Topic: Speer deep curl bullets  (Read 1902 times)

Offline go1fshn

• Trade Count: (0)
Speer deep curl bullets
« on: September 12, 2010, 08:01:24 PM »
 Has anyone seen, shot or handloaded Speer's new deep curl bullets?
I've always used the hot-core which I understand has been discontinued and replaced by the new deep curl. I'm just interested to know if anyone has had any experience with them yet.

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
Re: Speer deep curl bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 08:38:38 AM »
I think it is just a new name for their old Gold Dot hunting bullets, at least in handguns. I use their 300 gr GDs in the .460 for deer, but now see they are unavailable and been replaced by the Deep Curls. Funny,  the new deep curls look an awful lot like the old GDs and the product number on the "new" Deep Curls are the same as on the boxes of "old" GDs that I have. ::)
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 11:55:56 AM »
Speer Deep Curl appear to be nothing more than Federal Fusion component bullets, considering Speer and Federal are both ATK owned.

Tim

http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/rifle/hunting/deepcurl.aspx

DeepCurl™ utilizes Speer's ability to bond bullets at the chemical level. By electro-chemically bonding the bullets it allows us to build a superior hunting option. Designed with a flat base for uniform bullet heel, DeepCurl is stable, accurate, and offers good weight retention.

http://www.fusionammo.com/products/rifle.aspx

This specialized deer bullet electrochemically joins pure copper to an extreme pressure-formed core to ensure optimum performance.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline searlock

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 03:12:42 PM »
Hot core process is melted lead poured into a copper jacket. Deep curl is the uni- core process where the jacket is electro plated onto a lead core. Very good bullets. I have been using them for years. Gold dot is uni-core. I am currently using the .500 350 grain deep curl/uni-core. Jacket thickness on hand gun bullets range from .007 to.022 (per speer manual #12). I have not used a better bullet for the price. They still make hot core bullets.

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »
They are the same bullet, new name.
Called Speer and that is what I was told.
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson