Author Topic: BIG DEER!!!!  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Daveinthebush

• Trade Count: (0)
BIG DEER!!!!
« on: December 05, 2003, 02:32:26 PM »

A friend sent this to me via email.  Supposed to be shot near Buffalo, New York.  Anyone hear anything on it?
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline BH

BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 03:51:24 PM »
Nope.  But that is one dandy deer.  I'd put him at 300+ lbs and the spread on that rack has to be well over 30".  1st gun season starts here tomarrow and I usually have a lot of trouble sleeping the night before.  Now, thanks to you and this post, I'm sure I won't get any sleep at all :x .

Bob
It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 04:04:15 AM »
that is a big in alright, makes mine look small.
the guy has a right to have a big grin on his face

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2003, 04:48:05 AM »
It's a nice rack but there is trick photography involved to make it appear much larger than it really is. If a proper photographic technique had been used you'd not be guessing nearly so big I'm betting.

Note that the hunter is position way behind the deer and reaching forward. This type photo greatly exaggerates the apparent size of game. It is generally used when the animal isn't all that big and they want it to appear so.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 5Redman8

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Gray
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 06:44:51 AM »
Check out his hand on the rack for a reference.  No doubt it is a big racked deer.

Kyle

Offline willis5

• Contributor
BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 07:44:16 AM »
GB has a point but it is still a huge deer. one way to tell that the size is exagerated is to measure the length of the head (in your mind) of the deer in proportion to the guys body. it looks bigger than it should. That hand is a better measure of reference.

That deer also could have been superimposed on the picture. the guys hand looks blurry... Ah, who cares, Let's just enjoy it with a grain or two of salt...
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline BH

BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 02:34:35 PM »
On closer inspection, take a look at the guys left knee under the head of the deer in relation to his upper leg above the head.  Something is fishy here.

Bob
It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
big deer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2003, 03:40:56 PM »
I live in that general area and i sure haven't heard anything about it. I'll have to do alittle checking around and see what i can come up with.
            bobg

Offline Bob/FLA

• Avid Poster
Photo
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 04:13:20 AM »
Sorry guys...I won't bite on this one.  I too believe something is up.  

It's bad enough that a guy's testosterone level is measured by the size of a deers antlers...but when you have to FAKE that too???  Argh.
Thanks!
Bob

Visit our website at:
www.nativeamericanarchery.com
Or contact us at:
naa@nativeamericanarchery.com

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
big deer
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003, 10:58:13 AM »
Hi folks,
    I've done a lot of checking on the big deer. No one has heard ANYTHING about it. This would have made first page news in the local paper and it sure didn't. So for now i guess i don't believe it. I have one more place to check.
          bobg

Offline dbuz

• Avid Poster
BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 04:05:08 AM »
I've seen another picture from a different angle and the guy was a good ways back from the deer in that picture also. GB's point is used in the movie The Green Mile. They hold the camera in an angle to make John Coffee look like a giant. He is a big man in real life, but not like the movie makes him look. Something does look funny about the picture though.
If you can earn it, why did He have to die?

Offline grrdt

BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2003, 05:12:14 PM »
:shock:  if bobg was telling the truth about checking it out ,then I think it is trick photography :x . But if it isn't ,that thing is an elk in a deer costume man !:grin: that thing is huuuuuuuuge.

Offline Daveinthebush

I really want to know the truth!
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2003, 05:16:34 PM »
Looking athe mans hand olding the antler, he can't even get half way around the beam.  If that is a 30-35" bow, this thing has to be huge.

Someone has to have heard something.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2003, 07:11:57 PM »
What I see is the man's thumb and fingers over lapped around the antler base. You can't look at the man or the bow for comparison as the photo is shot from a deceiving angle.

Let's take a look at two close up cropped images from the photo. In the first one I've zoomed in on the relationship of the deer's head and the man's knee. How many people do you know who's knee takes off at such an odd angle to the rest of the leg?

In this next one I've zoomed in on the man's hand on the antler. Note that you can see his thumb wrapped up and past his fingers so his hand easily is able to wrap around the antler base at this point. Note also the relationship of the man's finger width to the point diameter where they are in close proximity. A nice rack yes. But as big as the distorted image suggests? Nope not hardly.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 5Redman8

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2003, 10:26:41 AM »
As far as the knee is concerned, a portion is being blocked by the cart.  So it is not at some distorted angle.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2003, 11:31:16 AM »
Not so. I blowed it up plenty big enough to check for that. As you can clearly see tho even in the smaller image I posted there is day light between the knee and metal whatever that metal is.

Also when you blow the photo up enough to tell the details you'll note the deer's nose is larger in diameter than a man's knee? Yeah right.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2003, 12:13:41 PM »
talk about a super smeller :-D

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
big deer
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2003, 02:11:00 PM »
Yes folks bobg was telling the truth. I have checked out the local gun shops. Some taxidermists, and talked to alot of people. Not a soul has heard about this deer. One taxidermist told me he heard about a big deer being hit by a car near Buffalo on the NYS thruway. But the way he described it i don't think it was the same one. As i said before this would have been big news in this area.
          bobg

Offline eroyd

• Contributor
BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2004, 09:27:59 AM »
How about this one. The guys elbows are even bent and he can only back away so far. No doubt this is a whopper! I'm told possibly a new world record.

Offline Daveinthebush

Avoidance
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2004, 09:37:48 AM »
I try to avoid shooting such bucks myself.  They are a pain in the asp to drag out!  Get caught on everything. :grin:

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2004, 10:01:50 AM »
From what I understand the pic is legit and not doctored and the deer was taken illegally, the knee looks odd because of the trailer. Here is a link to more info on where it was shot.

http://www.antlerreplicas.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=deer;action=display;num=1071790985;start=0

woods
PUT GOD FIRST
Shoot Straight - Shoot Often - Shoot Smokeless - Shoot Savage!

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
big deer
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2004, 11:28:25 AM »
I would like to know how people that live in Maine know all about this deer yet people that live  around where it was suppose to have been killed know nothing about it.

bobg :eek:

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2004, 11:39:09 AM »
Info I see posted seems to be from other sources than Maine unless posting a link to the info makes me "know all about it" I guess.

woods
PUT GOD FIRST
Shoot Straight - Shoot Often - Shoot Smokeless - Shoot Savage!

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
big deer
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2004, 12:21:58 PM »
Yea woodseye i guess you are right. Now back to my question. Why don't the locals know anything about it? :D

bobg

Offline dbuz

• Avid Poster
BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2004, 04:05:23 AM »
Someone who lives in the area call the Randolph Fish Hatchery or the DEC and put the subject to rest. Hopefully all it will take is a couple of phone calls.
If you can earn it, why did He have to die?

Offline Dezertyote

• Avid Poster
BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2004, 04:54:38 AM »
I do get a kick out of some of you........ :-D  Thats a really nice deer in anyones book, and if it was taken illegally, well then thats a shame. And to its where-abouts it was taken is irrelavent concerning the talk of a doctored up photo. The picture was taken with the guy kneeling in back of the deer to make it look big, we all agree to that. But this question of the knee the hand, come on, that photo isn't doctored up. Why is it that someone crys foul when a trophy class deer is posted on the net. :oops:
   Just my 2 cents worth of observation :D
Blow a vintage Circe dinner bell and they will come...

Offline crow_feather

BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2004, 10:13:20 PM »
look at the bottom of the bow and at the right ankle area of the 1st picture.

Something not right there

CF
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2004, 08:23:04 AM »
I see nothing illegitimate about the first photo, even with GB's closeup crops. Sure, the hunter is behind the animal, making him look larger versus the hunter, but check out the hand on the antler main beam. Those bases must be in the neighborhood of 6"! Look at the spread compared to the other parts of the deer (ears, eyes, nose, body and neck). There is no doubt this is a whopper deer.

BTW, the left knee of the hunter is NOT bent, but rather half covered by the @ 2" rise of the metal bed the deer is resting on (look closely at the whole picture; you can see how the thickness of the bed continues around the front corner of the bed). The bottom of the bow seems to be at the same angle as the top, and the right ankle looks perfectly normal to me(pants settled over boot top).

My estimation based on the hand for reference is a rack in the neighborhood of 26" main beams, 24" spread, and 13" G2s. Just a guess, but I think I'm close.

The "Kansas" deer is a real wallhanger, but I very much doubt a new world record. Maybe a Kansas record, but not quite enough inches and too many deductions I think to be a world record typical. Non-typical he doesn't even come close. My guess is around 200 inches total gross, give or take several inches.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline ARO

BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2004, 03:39:51 AM »
i will never understand why people always try to make the animal look bigger then it really is, by holding the camera 2 inches from the rack and the hunter standing 5 feet behind the animall. i have seen numerous pictures like this, dont they realize how stupid it looks!!!! :?  :?
ARO

make'em a star!!!

Offline 835-Moss

BIG DEER!!!!
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2004, 09:42:41 AM »
Looks like the picture might be a fake - who konws - but I think we would have heard about this one!