Author Topic: Youth 22 first rifle??  (Read 940 times)

Offline 1911crazy

• Trade Count: (0)
Youth 22 first rifle??
« on: September 14, 2010, 11:02:36 AM »
First as my sons were born i purchased hunting rifles for them right away(now there 30yo).  Of course new big bore rifles back then were only $150 to $175.

History repeats itself;

I had my very first grandson 3 weeks ago and i'm looking for his first 22 rifle now.  I'm thinking of a single shot or a clip fed 22 that takes shorts, longs and long rifle 22's.  Whats an affordable 22 rifle so he can shoot as soon as he can?

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Youth 22 first rifle??
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:17:51 PM »
Keystone/Cricket rifles are very nice and relatively inexpensive at about $120 here.  They are fairly accurate.  A nice mid size rifle is the Marlin 915Y "Little Buckaroo".  I have one for my daughter and it's a well made single shot that has a nice heavier barrel once they have the strength.  A few of my buddies have bought the starter size Rossi .22-.410 combo and those are only about $150 also.  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline hummer58

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 01:35:57 PM »
CZ-scout rifle. Can be shot as a single shot or with a 5 or 10 round clip. Best rifle for a young one to start out with plus they are very accurate.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 04:03:45 PM »
I think with a little guy the bolt action is a great first rifle.  This way he has time to work the action between shots and a choice of a single shot or mag fed is it too.

Offline CajunBass

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 07:58:03 PM »
You'll have to hunt a bit to find one, and they may not be quite right for a really little fellow, but when I was a kid I wanted one of these so bad I could taste it.  I stared at the picture in the Sears-Roebuck "wish book" for hours.  Why if I'd had one of these, there wouldn't have been a rustler dare show his face, in Hanover County, Virginia in the mid 60's (1960's that is).

Ithaca M-49 Single Shot.  The magazine tube you see there is fake.  It's a falling block single shot that is more fun than you can shake a stick at.  And a good shooter too.

When I was a kid, my mother was afraid of rifles.  She just knew if you shot one into the ground at your feet, you'd kill someone in China.  Shotguns were Ok, but no rifles.  

So I didn't get one until I saw this one last year.  It's quickly becoming my favorite 22 rifle, even if the sights are kinda blurry these days.  

They show up on Gunbroker regularly.   I believe they did make a "youth" model of the same gun.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 04:29:26 AM »
I think with a little guy the bolt action is a great first rifle.  This way he has time to work the action between shots and a choice of a single shot or mag fed is it too.

And also learns to put the bullets where they count instead of just cranking away on the trigger of a semi-auto.

While your ideals are old school, they are refreshing as it really was not that long ago that a Father or Grandfather gave his trained Son a couple of the .22 shells and told him that they better return with two Rabbits\Squirrels, or those two shell's!

My own upbringing was not quite that strict but a cardboard box of the 50 count federal ammo that could be had for 33 cents locally was still kind of dear to me.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 04:39:47 AM »

I started my daughter on a cricket. of course it was too slow. so I upgraded her to a 10/22 and then a walther p-22.  now the cricket is my favorite rifle for woods roaming.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Rex in OTZ

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 09:48:45 AM »
Mine was a Glenfield model 10 manual single shot boltaction

My #1 kid was a Ithica 49 manual single shot tipping block

Kid #2 was a Stevens 73Y single shot bolt action

Kid #3 Jimney Cricket Blue/synthetic stock manual boltaction single shot

Kid #3 Jimney Cricket Stainless/Synthetic manual boltaction single shot

(Manual means you have to cock the striker to fire)