Author Topic: smaller to bigger  (Read 711 times)

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
smaller to bigger
« on: September 15, 2010, 03:47:04 AM »
Is there a way to make a .452 dia. bullet into say .454 or .456 dia.  I have many .452 and my cylinders on my liberty blackhawk run .454 to 456 dia. I never sized bullet so I don't know. HELP any sugestions.

Zacharoo

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: smaller to bigger
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:43:51 PM »
  It IS possible to "bump" bullets up a few thousandths. The problem is you can/will damage the bullet when you do this. Using the correct top punch and the correct sizer die, you need to squash the bullet to fill the die. Some people call it swaging up. You can also "BEAGLE" the mold. This requires you to cast a few bullets and insert a nail or screw in the base. Then coat the drive bands with a lapping compound and spin the bullet in the cavity.. You may have to do these steps a number of times. BUT go easy and measure often! Once the metal is removed,you CANNOT put it back! Check over on http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ for more info on BEAGLING A MOLD.
  I have also used Lee Liquid Alox on some bullets to gain a thousandth or 2 to the dia.

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 03:39:35 AM »
The simplest way is to put a piece of aluminum foil on the inside of your mold, like a shim.  I've used this method with great results to get a few thousandth extra, doesn't ruin the mold and is temporary.  Lay it on one side and carefully cut it out around the cavity, make sure to take out all creases by carefully rubbing it with a cloth. 

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 04:59:53 AM »
I don't cast. The bullets are sized and lubed. I would like to find a way to make them bigger around in diameter with a sizing die or some other way. Help! I am kind of dum on this topic. Don't know anything about sizing and I don't cast.

Zacharoo

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:27:18 AM »
like was said you can bumb them up but ive never really had good accuracy with bullets ive done that too.
blue lives matter

Offline nicholst55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 06:29:51 PM »
How do the .452" bullets shoot in your Ruger?  They may shoot just fine as-is.

Have you considered trying to trade the .452" bullets for .454" bullets?

It's usually a better idea to size bullets down, rather than to swage them up.  You could do this with .458" diameter bullets intended for the .45-70 - I'd start with bullets in the ~300 grain range if I was to try this.  Swaging dies are not inexpensive, either; you're talking about $125 or more just to get started. 

"I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto!"  Dorothy, in 'The Wizard of Oz.'

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 03:08:52 AM »
I don't cast. The bullets are sized and lubed. I would like to find a way to make them bigger around in diameter with a sizing die or some other way. Help! I am kind of dum on this topic. Don't know anything about sizing and I don't cast.

Zacharoo

I agree with Lloyd's comment about "bumping".  You'd need to pick a powder that would do this and it may not be the one that gives the best accuracy in your gun.  I don't want to sound like a wiseguy, but why not get a cast bullet manual, do some reading, then get a bit of equipment and mold your own?  You can melt down your undersize bullets and recast them larger.  Bullet diameter is one of the key components of cast bullet accuracy.  Lube is another.  Mold your own and you'll soon be in control of your own quality.