Author Topic: Killed 14 Beaver  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Killed 14 Beaver
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:20:54 PM »
I got a call about neusence Beavers in a slough today.  DOT is planning to do some work there soon, and Beavers had dammed up a culvert and was flooding the work area.  I went out this morning, and spent most of the day there.  Using my Remington Pump, and CCI shorts I got 14 Beavers up and down that slough.  Going back tonight after the moon comes up and see if there are anymore left.

People driving by on the road thought I was using a pellet gun since they did not hear it go bang.  They could not heaqr it over the sound their cars and trucks were making.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Killed 14 Beaver
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 04:39:51 AM »
Brings back memories for sure. Mine was the same (a slough) and the area being flooded was farm ground. I would usually take a hoe to create a decent leak in the Dam and it would not take too long of a wait for the Beavers to appear to make repairs.

The Beavers eventually won this contest and a track-hoe was brought in on the levy to widen the channel over a considerable area. This was about a three year project as the levy was a build n go thing with much brush to deal with.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 05:11:06 AM »
Zimmerman on the travel channel yesterday was eaten beaver cooked in Maine.  They say there tasty.  Were having an over run here with beavers too besides freshwater otters too.  Plus bobcats, lynx,  mountainlions, fishers and blackbears too.  We really need a bear season soon.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 06:03:11 AM »
Went back last night once the moon came out.  Beautiful clear night, the Northern Lights were out.  Beautiful night, the light show alone was well worth the trip.  Got two more Beaver, and heard a third.  Was not able to get close enough to the last one.  Oh well one Beaver isn't going to cause much of a problem now.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 01:29:56 PM »
how mant usually in a pond? i shot 6 just lately but activity seems to continue
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 10:15:57 AM »
One pond were we fish we have two adults and 3 or 4 off spring with them.  Poppa is about 48" long with the tail.  There are beavers in every body of water here now. One town wants to bring in a trapper.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 04:04:17 AM »
My family's been waging war on beavers down on the farm for over 40 years now.  Sometimes, after some losses, they leave for a few years, but they always come back.  A game warden told me that they don't reproduce every year, and the young, once they mature, leave to build their own ponds elsewhere.  They do make a mess.  I've shot some that must have weighed around 40 or 50 pounds, once fished out of the water.  We prefer something with a bit more whomp than a 22 though.

Offline Uncle Howie

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 08:03:21 AM »
We prefer something with a bit more whomp than a 22 though.

+1, especially bigger than a .22 Short.

I've taken a few out with a .22LR, and didn't feel good about it. The only clean harvest I was able to make with the .22LR was taking them at the base of the skull as they were swimming away.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 03:44:43 AM »
We prefer something with a bit more whomp than a 22 though.

+1, especially bigger than a .22 Short.

I've taken a few out with a .22LR, and didn't feel good about it. The only clean harvest I was able to make with the .22LR was taking them at the base of the skull as they were swimming away.

It's hard to beat the trusty ol' 30-30 Winchester on beavers. It's even harder to beat the sense of relaxation of sitting on a bank, under a tree as the sun's going down with that same trusty 30-30.  After a while, when the noisy hole in the dam gurgles long enough, and the pond level lowers an inch or two, the action will start.  Ah, the memories!