Author Topic: Plus one for the GPS when help is needed.  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Plus one for the GPS when help is needed.
« on: September 17, 2010, 01:14:15 PM »

Taken from the Siskiyou Daily News.

"The SCSO assisted in another search Wednesday when John McFarland of Ashland contacted the department.

At approximately 2 p.m., McFarland called and requested assistance for himself and his friend Emily Green, who were lost.

The couple was hiking from the Tyler Meadows Trailhead and spent the night at Bear Lake, the SCSO release said. They got lost on their way back to the trailhead.
The pair was able to provide GPS coordinates to a sheriff’s dispatcher.
SCSO personnel and a CHP helicopter were dispatched to locate the lost subjects, and they were quickly located.

The couple was transported to Happy Camp, where they were met by sheriff’s deputies, who determined both McFarland and Green were in good physical condition."

You might know where you are in Uncle Jakes back forty but the emergency dispatch does not know where Uncle Jakes back forty is.  Give the dispatcher a Lat/Long from your gps and help will get to you sooner.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Glanceblamm

Re: Plus one for the GPS when help is needed.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 04:49:03 AM »
Good deal on the rescue as it could have been something worse such as a cut or a broken bone.

I bet that the pair might just take a little more time to create waypoints in the future tho.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 10:24:33 AM »
glanceblamm

You are on target!

I create a waypoint at the point the vehicle is parked and a second one for the trailhead.  Last fall a hunting partner and I headed into the Trinity Alps
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Alps_Wilderness

I parked my pickup a couple hundred yards from the trailhead creating a waypoint, and then a second waypoint at the trailhead.  The Trinity Alps Wilderness is a vast area with a number of trailheads.  This was one of the least used ones in the back door of the wilderness.  I had never used this route before.  The jump off point was my partner’s stooping grounds for a few years during his Forest Service career.

Knowing that game activity would take me off this trail into the unknown there was a certain level of confidence in the mapping gps.  I had my unit in track mode, and had a general plan if events happen.  The POI (points of interest) feature in Map Source is very useful.

Unlike the couple who had cellphone service, our last service was lost two or three hours before.  We did have our Garmin Rino 530HCx gps/radios.  Now days there is a fair chance of hitting somebody with a radio.  Normally we have the radio side of the unit turned off.  But every once and a while I will turn it on and scan for traffic. 

Back to our lost couple.  Reading the article they did do some things right.  They had a gps, and they were able to get out with a cellphone.  The trail from Tyler Meadow trailhead to Bear Lake puts the hiker on a high ridge line or close to it increasing the chance of making a cellphone connection.  I am guessing that once you drop into Bear Creek cellphone coverage is zero.  Just a guess, in the days the Marble Mountain Wilderness was in my scope cellphones were not heard off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Mountain_Wilderness

Another thing they did was call for help early enough in the day to make helicopter rescue an effective tool.  Even with night flying equipment helicopter pilots do not like dark canyons at night.

Bear Lake      N41 37.776 W123 13.318

Trailhead   Trail   N41 41.138 W123 11.259   5766 ft            

http://nocatrailheads.glhenterprise.com/tyler_mdw_th_map.html

I like using the gps and the associated MapSource Topo software.  I have been known before a trip to set down with the mapping software and create key waypoints at trailheads, trail junction, and other locations.

In the days before gps were known, my eight year old son and I would hike into the Russian, Trinity, and Marble Mountain Wilderness to fish the lakes and streams.  Along the way I would point out landmarks and other points of interest so he could find his way back to the vehicle, and down to the main road.  We did some boondocking away from the trails, around waterfalls, and in steep canyons to find those unvisited fishing spots.

A key to my trip planning was that my son would be able to make it out on his own if something happen.  At home my wife had a copy of the Forest Service map I was using with a brief narrative of our plans. 

Some people are planners others disappear.  One of my brothers is going to disappear one of these days.  He will take off in his rig with a full tank of gas at zero dark thirty and head into the mountains.  He will return late at night to tell about his adventures the next morning.  But if and when he does not show back up finding him will be a needle in the haystack.  He has had flats, jack problems, and other vehicle problems associated with traveling on old mining and logging roads.  He had a bad fall in the woods that disable him for a couple hours, and once home he was laid up for a couple weeks.  No lessons learned.

We tried to come up with a plan a few years ago where he would call my house and let us know the general direction he was heading.  That did not last week.  ::)
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 06:54:40 AM »
I like using the gps and the associated MapSource Topo software.  I have been known before a trip to set down with the mapping software and create key waypoints at trailheads, trail junction, and other locations.

Ever notice how those pre-programmed Mapping software numbers seem to be a little more accurate when downloaded to the gps than actually using the "mark" button on the same unit?...Dont get me wrong, numbers are numbers but perhaps sometimes ones unit is deflected a bit by canopy or 2D navigation while the map software is absolute. Another observation (with my unit) is that "highway mode" is a bit more accurate than track or compass mode's. I use this now and again to locate a blind in a new location in the dark and a lot of times the accuracy can be within 8 feet when walking up to that crosshair.

Back to our couple though, they had daylight and no injury's so in cases like this is it a possible senario that they might request a vector from dispatch to get them back to the trail head? lots of dollars for that chopper ride as you know.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »

I have always been, well almost always, a map nut.  I still have some maps that were put out by the Bureau of Land Management, California Fish and Game, and the Forest Service back in the 1950’s along with U.S.G.S. Topo Maps.

I come from the school of old wildland fire fighter.  Hand drawn maps were the name of the game years back.  As overhead I would draw maps on note book paper displaying locations of spot fires outside the line, snags that needed to be taken care of, hazards such as yellow jacket nest. It was understood that when such a map was handed over that it was not to scale, but provide intelligence needed to get the job done.  Many times small spot fires had been contained, mop-up had been done, but until the fire was declared out they needed to be checked by replacement crews.  Now days I would use a gps to create waypoints and the information would be more accurate.  Normally key items were marked along the fireline with flagging. 

The biggest mapping errors I have noted are sub division maps, when compared to topo software, when compared to street software what is upgraded the gps and the road are together.    I have not compared with updated versions of Goggle Earth but a couple years back I noted the LAT/LONG display at the bottom of the screen did not “always” jive with the LAT/LONG I got on my gps, or when I created a waypoint.  BUT, the owners of Garmin and Magellan gps units can download their data to Google Earth.   The issue maybe a matter of feet because I can cite examples where the comparison provide to be valid.

I just created a waypoint where I park my pickup when I hunt a certain area.  I created it in MapSource Topo 2008.  I then went to the VIEW option in Map Source and selected View In Goggle Earth.  Using the Ruler provided in Goggle Earth there was a difference of 119-feet.  Depending on the situation the difference could be critical or meaningless.  In 119-feet of heavy cover I could hide a U-Haul truck.

I agree that different gps units may come up with slight differences when recording a LAT/LONG.  My current units have an averaging feature which upgrades accuracy when used.  It just takes a little time to do, and I do not normally use the feature.  I would use it if I was hiding a chest of gold.

http://egsc.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/factsheets/fs17199.html

A good question regarding the couple.  While a vector from dispatch could be helpful and direct line in that country could put you at the top or bottom of a cliff.  Your earlier post regarding them creating waypoints was on the money.  A paper map, Topo mapping software in the gps, and waypoints at the trailhead should have got them back to their vehicle.  I bet they were exhausted from hiking in the steep wilderness, and dehydrated.  A condition commonly called Mountain Sickness, normal cured with water, and rest.  Hits people that live at low altitude hard at times.  While elevations above 8000 are critical I have seen it numerous times at 5000 feet.  It has a lot to do with the fitness of the hiker.

As I mention before I would have created a track.  There are a lot of options when creating and saving tracks.  To avoid confusion one might want to change track colors daily. (When using a color unit.)

You are right the helicopter mission was expensive, normally that class of helicopter runs about a $1000 an hour for aircraft and pilot.  In California the out of county jurisdiction can be billed for the rescue.  In turn the jurisdiction they live in can look at the circumstances and determined if they will be billed.  Mountain counties in California and other states spend a lot of money rescuing city slickers.  Every once and while locals need help too!

Back in the last century when that was an area I worked in we received a call just about quitting time that a woman was hemorrhaging at Lower Wright Lake N41 35.001 W123 05.217 which is located about 8.44 air miles from Bear Lake which was mentioned in the recent incident.  After taking the call I relayed the information to the Dispatch who relayed it to the County Sheriff.  In California the County Sheriff is responsible for all search and rescues.  Other agencies take part but the Sheriff is the man.
This was in the days before gps and the location of Lower Wright Lake did the job.  I believe a helicopter came from the Redding area.  I do not know if the highway patrol had a helicopter there in those days are not.  The lady was having a real medical emergency, and she was flown directly to the hospital.  I rather doubt if there was billing for the rescue.

Now days private or contract medical helicopters are common.  A friend was hiking in the Desolation Wilderness area West of Lake Tahoe.  She passed out on the trail and private medical helicopter took her out to a hospital in Nevada.  A few hours in the hospital on an I.V. she felt like she could go home.  Like most of us we want to get home and out of the hospital.  A little birdie advised her that if she was not admitted to the hospital overnight it was likely her health insurance would not cover the helicopter.  Feeling very weak and concerned about the event that put her in the hospital she spent the night; the insurance company pickup the bill for the helicopter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desolation_Wilderness

I made a couple of phone calls today concerning the rescue.  I did not learn much, but a cellphone tower has been installed at the old Slater Butte L.O. site that is about 18 miles Northwest of Bear Lake.  The old lookout is about 4500 + foot elevation.  Here is a good look from the lookout.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI_xX7OS9nE
Late August 1965 I was on a major forest fire that burn all around Slater Butte.  The first day of the fire it made a major run and trapped men and equipment on a logging road below the lookout.  I arrived on the fire on day two.  A few fire fighters ran for their lives and made it to the highway miles below.  Others took shelter under tarps.  Coming on to the burn vehicles was a little shocking with melted turn sign covers, headlights broke out, and blacken fire trucks.  The melted covers looked like big tears.

There were no gps units, and we did real good using topo maps and Forest Service maps getting around on the fire.  I believe it was 14,000 acres. 

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 05:11:58 PM »
It might seem silly to some, but I often hunt on a public tract that is only about 1500 acres.  I have two maps that I scaled and numbered.  I leave one with my wife.  If I injure myself to where I can' get back, I can call and tell her I'm in sector "A-5" and someone can walk right to me.  In a large wilderness area, I would certainly have at least a map and map compass and mark some landmarks.  I'm more concerned about illness or injury than getting lost.....
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 10:12:19 PM »
Mechanic:  I do something similar, Most of the area I hunt does not have cellphone coverage but I do call the wife when I have coverage.  I also have local Sheriff Department numbers programmed in my cellphone.  If you can talk directly to a dispatcher help will get to you sooner.  They can send an officer to your house for the map or your wife can take it to the department.  Key information for making a speedy rescue.

I go to Map Source and generate a Map with waypoints where my ground stands are, and the locations where I park.  As I have grown older I am concerned that I will blow out a knee or something else can go wrong.  I hunt in seven different counties so I let her know what county I will be in and provide her with the number for the County Sheriff.

I also carry a signal mirror.  Many times people in the air can spot a fix wing or helicopter but the pilot is busy flying and if there is an observer on board it is difficult seeing people on the ground.  If the people are wearing camo they may not be spotted by aircraft.  Back in my smoke chasing days we had a couple of orange panels in our lightning packs, along with a signal mirror, four “C” rations, one wool blanket, and a file to sharp our tool.

One time I was flying as an observer on board a helicopter and there was a team from the Sheriff’s Department on the ground dressed in green.  I could see the objective but I could not see them from my stand off location.  I asked them to flash me with a mirror.  I think every deputy on the ground had a mirror because they lit up the hill side.

I like a Silva Ranger Compass because the mirror can be used for signaling.  

http://www.thecompassstore.com/ranger1.html

I like your scaling method.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 05:26:32 AM »
It might seem silly to some, but I often hunt on a public tract that is only about 1500 acres.  I have two maps that I scaled and numbered.  I leave one with my wife.  If I injure myself to where I can' get back, I can call and tell her I'm in sector "A-5" and someone can walk right to me.  In a large wilderness area, I would certainly have at least a map and map compass and mark some landmarks.  I'm more concerned about illness or injury than getting lost.....

Used to be that I was off and gone in a flash and the Wife simply knew that i was hunting. I use your procedure now a day's and I think that it is just a part of getting old...or should I say wise?

Worst scrape that I was ever in was in the extreme cold with a lot of wind chill. It was cold enough that I would find the seat of my coveralls frozen to the ground when I went to leave a calling site. My return was at dusk and a slip on the plowed field caused me to catch a kneecap hard on on of those clods incapacitating me. Since I was on an edge, I figured that I could make my way to a brush filled drainage and put my two Coyote friends on top of me and perhaps add more during the night! I was able to get up and going again after a while but at that time no one knew where I was at and it was before the cell phone era.

A good question regarding the couple.  While a vector from dispatch could be helpful and direct line in that country could put you at the top or bottom of a cliff

I would imagine that obsticals have caught a percentage of people using the gps to shoot a direct line back to the trail head. It might be a larger percentage than you would think depending on how familure one is with the area.
The best thing to do is your good advice of making that bread crumb trail.

I run into obsticals myself going into an area or perhaps have just ran out of daylight and plan on returning latter. I have used the gps in these field situations to navigate to the said area latter on by using the unit alone. Most units are going to be similar to an extent and what I do is to go to the screen that display's the most information, Track, Speed, Trip, Alt, and Positon. It can then be a simple matter to use the large multi-direction button to toggle to Track to punch in a heading and then toggle to Speed and enter a mile per hour number.

Look Sharp because your unit is now running by it'self and would go around the world if you let it. What I like to do is to punch in 60 mph and then hit the Mark button after a brief 3 seconds which adds up to 1/4mile. You now have a new waypoint that is across that river or ravine and you can get there at a latter date by parking at a different trail head.

I like a Silva Ranger Compass because the mirror can be used for signaling. 

Good to know, Thanks!