Author Topic: Moly coated bullets  (Read 660 times)

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
Moly coated bullets
« on: September 20, 2010, 02:29:21 AM »
My experience with moly coated lead bullets seems to have eliminated leading. I like them and use them when I load cast bullets. I have read that the acp shooters have had problems with deposits at the end of the chamber, resulting in headspace jams. Rimmed cases dont have that problem. Some bullet makers claim you can drive these as fast as a jacketed bullet, I have not tried it. My 357 'plinkers' all chrono between 1210 and 1220 fps, and accurate. The only non-coated bullets I use now are gas-checked heavy weights.

How do they work for you?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Moly coated bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »
I tried Molly in a .17 Rem. years ago. I got Molly build up in the barrel and spent over 24 hrs, noy all at one time, tring to get it out. As a last resort I tried fire lapping the barrel and got it to shooting again. I will never shoot a Molly coated bullet in any of my guns again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 05:49:53 PM »
Lead bullets in a .17 Remington? Sounds tricky to load.

I have only used moly bullets in moderately loaded pistol rounds. I should have been clearer.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
 Winston Churchill

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 07:54:33 PM »
help me out guy what barrel maker said shooting molly in their barrels would void the warrinty

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 02:29:30 AM »
Moly has fallen out of favor with most, but my only experience is in .224.  I didn't have a lot of buildup, but I did have inconsistent coating of the inside of the barrel.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 02:59:21 PM »
Regular ammonia used full strength will remove moly from jacketed bullets and the bore of a rifle in pretty short order.  Best to do it outside or you wife will fuss.  Guess how I know ;)

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »
Ammonia?  good tip. thanks.

P.A.
 Winston Churchill

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »
  Will amonia etch the rifles bore??

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 05:46:55 PM »
Shouldn't hurt steel. Ammonia refrigeration uses steel pipe. So the inside of the steel pipe is being continuously "rinsed" with ammonia. Some of those big ammonia refrigeration systems are 60-80 years old.

Ammonia attacks copper. Maybe the way it removes Moly from jacketed bullets is by eating away the first tiny layer of copper, so the moly does not have anything to hold on to. Do the copper jackets look funky after you clean them with ammonia?
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 11:45:02 AM »
Shouldn't hurt steel.  Ammonia refrigeration uses steel pipe.

I've always heard you shouldn't leave ammonia based solvents in the bore for more than a few minutes because it can damage the bore.  I'm no chemist, so I don't really know what the danger is.  As far as the steel pipes for the refrigeration systems, are they carbon steel, stainless, or some other alloy?

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 05:18:16 PM »
The ammonia removes lubricants along with moly from the bore and the ammonia is best removed with water, therefore proper lubricants should be applied after using ammonia and water.  I would not leave ammonia in the bore for an extended period of time (over 12 hours) but it may take a few hours for it to work.

Bullets after the ammonia soak with the moly removed and after rinsing will have a mild dull copper appearance.  A little time in the tumbler and they look like NIB.  To remove the moly they need to soak in the ammonia 2-3 hours or as long as necessary for the dull cooper color to appear when rinsed in water.

Ken
NRA Life Member