Author Topic: Dicks and Primers  (Read 1438 times)

Offline yellowtail3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
Dicks and Primers
« on: September 20, 2010, 05:17:02 PM »
Muzzleloading just around the corner, so stopped by a local gun store to get some 209 primers today, and they had NONE. Guy told me that there's an ammo shortage, component shortage, it's Homeland Security's fault... blah blah blah... rotten selection of bullets, too. I was hoping to get some .452 XTPs in 300gr. SO... went on over to Dick's Sporting Goods. They had primers, Winchester Triple Seven - for SEVENTEEN BUCKS for a 100. Last I bought them was a couple years ago, two or three boxes for about... four bucks a box, I think. I didn't buy them. Stopped at Wallymart on the way home, and... they had the same ones for six bucks.

Dick's just dropped  a few notches.

Anybody else having prob finding primers, or seeing $17/100?
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Dicks and Primers
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 05:28:14 PM »
well there was a shortage.  still things are not as available as they used to be and expect to pay more than you used to.  $17 per 100 is a whole new level of price gouging.   primers here are going for $29 a thousand, and i buy some everytime i make a trip up there. 

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
209's are about the only primers I can find in my neck of the woods.

P.S. Real muzzleloaders use a rock  and a bit of 4F blackpowder as the ignition source! ;)
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline The Hermit

• A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 06:08:54 PM »
lakota, ha ha, good one. Now I suppose I'll get a slam too when I use #11 caps.   :)
I have noticed large price increases in all the shooting supplies that I buy too.
But, there is no inflation, right?

The Hermit

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 06:12:27 PM »
I have never seen any shortage of 209's. All you want anywhere you go on the internet.
Cabela's, Powder Valley, Midway USA, Graff & Sons, you name it. It has only been recently
within the past couple of months that I have seen pistol & rifle primers show up again.

Robert

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 06:25:01 PM »
Exactly. 209s were always plentiful Serious shortage of 10s and 11s though.

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 06:28:11 PM »
$17 for 100 is just - dayum.  People picked on me for paying a local shop $5 for 100 large rifle.  That's just ridiculous.   

Just to throw in my lot and agree with the other posters though - I never saw a shortage of 209 primers locally, and the "ammo shortage" is basically history.  There's still a few dealers who haven't caught on and are trying to sell you a box of bullets for 4x what Wal-mart (who now has a consistent supply) is charging across the street, but they're just slow learners (either that or they honestly think they can recoup money spent during the shortage by charging shortage prices - they'll drop them soon enough, or they'll just let them sit on the shelves).

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 06:36:36 PM »
209 guns are not allowed in WA state for muzzleloader season. Must use origional style ignition sources, matchlock,wheelock,snaphaunce, flint, or percussion with origional style caps. No glass sights as well. If you wanted to hunt the "primitive" season here you would have to get a real muzzleloader. They do allow inlines as long as they use caps but I don't allow those kind in my truck.   :P

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »
209 guns are not allowed in WA state for muzzleloader season. Must use origional style ignition sources, matchlock,wheelock,snaphaunce, flint, or percussion with origional style caps. No glass sights as well. If you wanted to hunt the "primitive" season here you would have to get a real muzzleloader. They do allow inlines as long as they use caps but I don't allow those kind in my truck.   :P

Lol - SC has some pretty lenient rules when it comes to hunting.  Deer season is open from Aug 15 through Jan 1.  Muzzleloading season allows the use of virtually anything that you could possibility consider a muzzleloader.  Inline is fine, primer ignition is fine, scopes are fine :).   Heck we just legalized crossbows (as well as scopes on them) for use during archery season.  On private lands you have no ammo restrictions whatsoever - forget debating on .223 - .22LR is legal for deer hunting on private lands.  On government/public lands, the rules change only to exclude rimfires of .22 caliber or smaller (the "or smaller" clause was only recently added - for a time .17 HMR wasn't covered under that).  ANY centerfire rifle round is legal.  Until recently there was also no limit on bucks per season (was always 2 per day though).  They recently enacted a 10 buck per year limit, which I THINK may only apply to government lands as well.  Only requirement on buck size is that at least one antler must exceed 3" in length. 

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 07:23:16 PM »
Washington laws are really screwed up. We have pretty short seasons and our F&G dept is run mostly by non hunters and fishers. There are alot of states who have more liberal game laws than here. If I was to ever go that way to live I would probably go to KY, or Tenn. I sure did like it there when I was at Ft Campbell. But AZ and AK are nice places as well. Sure is alot of beutiful country and good folks in this USA, too bad its messed up by the libs huh?

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 08:32:15 PM »
lakota, ha ha, good one. Now I suppose I'll get a slam too when I use #11 caps.   :)

The Hermit
No slam only good natured kidding! I have a cap smasher in my arsenal too.
The important thing is that we are out there hunting!
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 09:55:57 AM »
Quote from: yellowtail3
Anybody else having prob finding primers, or seeing $17/100?

Man-O-Man!  Are you SURE that isn't missing a zero on the end ($17/1000)?

I thought that $34.95/1000 and later $4.95/100 (~3X increase) at the height of the "shortage" was a big deal when historically I had been paying $1.70/100 (= $17/1000).