Author Topic: I think I may have been duped by Gander Mountain  (Read 5942 times)

Offline jasonsuch

• Trade Count: (0)
I think I may have been duped by Gander Mountain
« on: September 20, 2010, 06:37:31 PM »
Here is the deal, I bought what Gander Mountain advertised as a Ultra Slug 20ga in synthetic stock. I took it home and looked at it a little more closer and noticed it says "Pardner Tracker II SBI" on the side of the barrel. It definitely has the UltragonTM Rifling, but it's a much lighter barrel than the true USH's have, which I don't think is such a bad thing. So what the heck did I buy? Is it a hybrid USH or what??? They had it on sale for 179.99 and only had one left in stock when I called so I thought I was getting a deal for sure, but I'm not so certain now. What do you guys think, did I get duped? Here is the website page with more details: http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=HR_Ultra_Slug_Hunter_Single_Shot_20Ga&i=GM420167&merchID=4004&r=view#details_box_holder

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
Re: I think I may have been duped by Gander Mountain
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 07:35:13 PM »
could be an ultralight slug hunter with a synthetic stock
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:26:45 AM »
Based upon the listed weight (5 1/4 lb), it's an Ultra Light Slug Hunter v. Ultra Slug Hunter.

Offline jasonsuch

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 01:46:50 AM »
Does anyone know the value of these guns? I have nothing to compare by and I can't find them on gunbroker. Still would like to know if I got it for a good price.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 06:09:17 AM »
Looks like you got a good deal, syn stocked models usually sell for a bit more than wood stocks.

Tim

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/263/products_id/52900

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=106819
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jasonsuch

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 08:19:25 AM »
Thanks for posting those prices quickdtoo, I feel better about my purchase now. Now I gotta find out how badly this is going to kick since it is lighter, that's what everyone I've talked to is concerned about. I probably need to find a scope with a lot of eye relief. I'm thinking maybe a Simmons Prodiamond, does anybody have a suggestion?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 08:24:20 AM »
You can always add weight to the stock cavity, real easy to do with an old sock and some lead shot. What's your budget on the scope?

Tim

Offline jasonsuch

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 08:34:33 AM »
You can always add weight to the stock cavity, real easy to do with an old sock and some lead shot. What's your budget on the scope?

Tim

That's what my buddy at work says I should do. I'll shoot it first and make my own judgment after that. I'm thinking in the $100 range or less for the scope. I was just searching around and thought this Bushnell Banner may be a good option as well with 6" of eye relief: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=699041
What do you think?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 08:52:16 AM »
The Banner is a good scope, but due to the larger ocular bell and power ring, it will require high or extra high rings or extensive hammer modification. The Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 shotgun scope isn't a bad choice, neither is the Redfield Revolution 2-7x32, both have ~4" of eye relief and can be mounted in medium rings, maybe low after removing the tip of the hammer spur above the extension, about $100-$130.

You can also add a Limbsaver prefit pad, the #10011 for the Tikka T3 will fit pretty good with one new mounting hole in the pad, the prefit for the syn Handi(old style)doesn't fit well.

Tim

Offline jasonsuch

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 02:48:15 PM »
Thanks so much quickdtoo for the help! I think you really steered me towards the Redfield scope, I love the fact it is made by Leupold and made here in the US! Plus I already have medium Leupold rings that will match up great to that scope. Also thanks for the tip on the recoil pad, I'm definitely going to look into that!

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »
the Simmons Pro-Diamond is a good scope. I have a couple, they are clear, have good eye relief (4" I think) and mount solid using the weaver mount they are just long enough. I have one on a 500 S&W that I just shoot cast loads in. They cost me about $68 plus tax and shipping (each).
remember the starfish

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 05:09:09 PM »
I have a tracker II 20ga that I had drilled & tapped and it is a tack driver with the Lightfields 2 3/4 hybrid express and it weighs about the same as yours. With the light fields recoil is just a nudge. suprised the heck out of me the first time I shot it. PS I have a Simmons pro diamond 4X32 on it also.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline kng

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 01:51:42 PM »
Where is the best place to get the Simmons pro diamond 4X32 scope?

thanks,
-Kyle
H&R/NEF:  .243, .308, .270, .357, .357 Talo, 45 BC Carbine, 45-70 Talo, .50 cal, .22/20 Versa, .22 Sportster
12 ga. turkey, 20 ga. Topper Model 88, .410, 20 ga. Ultra Light Slug Hunter, 20 ga. Tamer

Offline jasonsuch

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 02:47:42 PM »

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 04:02:05 PM »
 Another vote for the Pro Diamond. Look at my pict.  My Pro Diamond is on a Ultra Slug 20. I did use the high rings only because I liked them. By the way my Deer did not like the Pro Diamond ;)

Lonny

Offline stringofpoloponies

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
you may have been duped another way. i ordered one from their online store back a couple months and had it shipped to my local gander mountain. thanks to this website i knew to look at the soldered on scope base. mine like the others had been put on the barrel off center. please have a look at yours. they were adverstised for 179$ for quite a while. there just a tracker ii with a scope base.   

Offline jasonsuch

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 05:08:29 PM »
Well I know I don't have a trained eye with this sort of thing but it looks pretty straight on there to me.

Offline kng

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 03:20:47 AM »
jasonsuch,

Is your scope base soldered on or held with screws?

thanks,
-Kyle
H&R/NEF:  .243, .308, .270, .357, .357 Talo, 45 BC Carbine, 45-70 Talo, .50 cal, .22/20 Versa, .22 Sportster
12 ga. turkey, 20 ga. Topper Model 88, .410, 20 ga. Ultra Light Slug Hunter, 20 ga. Tamer

Offline VTBrat

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 04:03:46 AM »
I have a Bushnell Banner 3X9X4 on my 20 gauge USH.  I had to use high rings, but I've been very pleased with the clarity and the 6" eye relief.  Hammer clears even with a hammer extension.  Found the scope online for $68.00 and free shipping at www.OpticSale.com

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 08:30:36 AM »
I have a Bushnell Banner 3X9X4 on my 20 gauge USH.  I had to use high rings, but I've been very pleased with the clarity and the 6" eye relief.  Hammer clears even with a hammer extension.  Found the scope online for $68.00 and free shipping at www.OpticSale.com
That 3x9 will probly be just ticket fer shots at grasshoppers at 25  yards... ;D
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline jasonsuch

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 04:03:45 PM »
jasonsuch,

Is your scope base soldered on or held with screws?

thanks,
-Kyle

Mine is held together with screws.

Offline kng

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 02:19:33 AM »
Great find jasonsuch!  I've been looking for an Ultra Light Slug Hunter in a 20 for a while.  After I saw this I called my Gander Mountain and they said they had one possibly coming on Thursday.  I told them to call me if they got it.  They never called, but I stopped in yesterday, and they had it in the back gun room!

Does anyone know if a "real" Ultra Light Slug Hunter has the barrell marked Tracker II?  It would make sense, because all they would do is illiminate the iron sight installation step, and tap the barrael for a scope mount.  (Mine is tapped, not soldered.)  If so, that would simply make this Gander Mountain exclusive gun an Ultra Light Slug Hunter with synthetic stocks.

I'm going to order the Simmons ProDiamond for it.  Are medium rings like this http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=722296 okay?

Lastly, what is the manufacture date for CAC?  The sticky is a little unclear.

thanks!
-Kyle

Offline jasonsuch

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 04:52:00 AM »
Cool beans! Let me know if the scope mounts on there alright for you, because I am using the same setup. Also don't forget to put your hammer extension on there that comes included with the gun. I am also wondering about it saying tracker II on the barrel.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 05:44:09 AM »
Just like the SB1 framed 357 and 44 mag barrels that are marked SB2, barrels are marked when they're made, what model they end up as is up to H&R, Tracker IIs have been around a long time, they just renamed it and put a scope rail on it. CAC means just what the FAQs indicate, SB1 made May 2008 or later, if it's marked made in Ilion, it was made in 2009 or 2010, no one has reported a new C series prefix yet.

Tim

Offline kng

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 08:46:01 AM »
Thanks!  So are those scope rings okay?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 09:35:14 AM »
The should work fine, you may be able to use Low with the fixed power scope if you can mount it back far enough, someone with that scope and rings  should be able to answer that specifically.

Tim

Offline kng

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Tim,

Thanks for the scope ring info.  Also, as an FYI about this gun, the box lists the model as SB1-2S4, which is not listed on H&R's website. 

Jason,

My buddy bought a 20 gauge Ultra Light Slug Hunter in Mississippi today.  His barrell does not say "Tracker II" like ours.  It just says, "20 GA 2 3/4" OR 3" RIFLED BORE", like ours says below the Tracker II.

thanks,
-Kyle

Offline jasonsuch

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2010, 01:14:51 PM »
Hmm, I guess that's what makes our gun a Gander Mountain exclusive deal. I'm still happy with my purchase though. When you get your scope in and mounted, please take a picture and show us the clearances between the hammer and scope. I've found out that the handi-rifle 30-06 with synthetic stock has a steel bar inside with two foam pieces to hold it in place. So I plan on calling H&R about this and see if they could ship me one for my gun to reduce the recoil. I also am going to purchase a limbsaver slip-on for it as well. Does anyone knows what size to use on a synthetic stock?

Offline kng

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2010, 01:49:35 PM »
I still think it's the same barrell (other than the markings) as the ULSH.  I'll know for sure this week when I see my buddies.

You bet on the pic. I plan on ordering it tomorrow.  By the way, the stock set is the same one that is on my .357 (SB1-S35). 

I didn't know that about the weight in the 30-06.  I plan on sighting it in with a sled, and I'd rather mine be light for carrying it around.  If I have to deal with extra recoil once or twice a year, I'm okay with that.

thanks,
-Kyle

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2010, 03:17:11 PM »
Distributors and big dealers like Gander can do special orders of 250 firearms or more, the syn stock set on the Gander shotgun is the new style synthetic stock, the model number isn't on the H&R website because it's a special order, but it's likely the same barrel that comes with the 357/20ga combo.

Tim  

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Combos/handislug.asp