Author Topic: Need info on turrent presses  (Read 643 times)

Offline dickttx

• Trade Count: (0)
Need info on turrent presses
« on: September 22, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
I have been using a single stage press and don't know exactly how the turrent presses work. 
For example the Lee Classic Turrent Press with Auto Index.
I think I would still like to size and deprime, inspect the cases, clean the primer pockets and reprime with the Lee Auto Prime.  I have also always charged the cases and visually inspected the powder level of all the cases before seating the bullets, but consistent powder charges are almost a gimme.
Can the turrent press be set up to bell, charge, seat and crimp only, using the auto index feature?
Doing these one at a time on my C-H press is a lot of wasted effort and repetitive motion.
Can someone explain the turrent  process to me?

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Need info on turrent presses
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 01:37:21 PM »
I use the slow single stage methodology, but a lot of guys I know that reload said the turrets are great.  One of my friends buys a different turret for each caliber.  Another guy likes the solid single stage that has the quick lock rings better.  I am happy with my way for the amounts I load though.  Good luck deciding.  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 01:46:07 PM »
I use a Lee turret press but it isn't an auto index one . I have a turret set up for each caliber I shoot . once it is set up you never have to fool with it again, just twist and remove and put in the next caliber turret. I still do a lot of mine by hand, I use a Lee auto prime tool because I like to feel the primer seat, and I inspect powder level before I seat each bullet. I like to decap and size all of mine and then just twist to the next die , after that go to the next one. I don't like to change and reset each die every time I want to use it. ;D
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 02:01:53 PM »
Do you want info on turret press's, or progressive press's? I have a Redding turret press, absoulutey one of the finest and heaviest turrets on the market. Bar none. But, it's not a progressive. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline dickttx

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 02:12:53 PM »
No, not progressive.  Seems like you would need to load way more than I would shoot to make the setup worth while.
Just looking for something that might cut down on the number of strokes.

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 03:00:29 PM »
I have an RCBS turret press and love it.  I have three turrets for it and keep most of my dies in them and set to the proper depths. When I want to change calibers I either rotate the turret to a different set or change the turret to the one that has the dies I need. Very easy, very simple, and no adjusting anything..  Saves a lot of time.
Tony212

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 04:01:03 PM »
Same number of strokes. Turret presses use a single ram; one case at a time, one operation with each pull of the handle. The benefit of a turret is the dies change station/position with each pull of the handle (auto index) or advanced manually. You put one case in the press, pull the handle for each operation, remove a loaded round (theoritically). One case position, multiple die positions. I usually do two or three steps for each case at a time; size/decap/reprime/flare, and/or seat bullet/crimp.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 09:49:04 PM »
I have the Lyman turret but would buy the Lee Classic Turret today. I do case prep single stage style up to and including priming with a Lee tool (tumble, size/ decap, trim).

Then especially for handgun rounds I do what I call "semi- progressive" loading. It really speeds things up.
With the Lyman I have to rotate the turret for each function and I have to concentrate very carefully to keep things in order.
I have a Lee Proauto Disk powder dispenser and Lee thru the die case expander - 1 stroke with primed case.
Place bullet on charged case, rotate turret to seater die and seat bullet - stroke 2
Rotate turret and run round thru Lee Factory Crimp Die Stroke 3 - round complete.
The powder dispenser / case bell stroke really speeds things up and I have good accuracy with the Lee Proauto disk. Except the disk holes don't always dispense the amount of powder claimed by the tables - so I run about 10 charges into a primed case and check each on a scale, then select best cavity.
Then I check weigh about every 10th charge dropped depending on type of powder used. Fine ball powder like H110 I might check every 15th unless I'm at a near max load which I usually do single stage and check each on a scale.  This check weighing slows things down but the safety is worth it. With some powders, the charge may change slightly as the amount of powder in the hopper decreases, so I'll top off the hopper as I go to keep things uniform - this is more common with the lighter fluffy powders like Unique than with 2400 or H110 /W296.

With the new auto index Lee press you could spare yourself  the hassle of rotating the turret or accidentally getting things out of order. I've messed up and really pinched my fingers a couple times  - or tried to seat a bullet with the expander die - again careful concentration is called for as I find it much more complicated than single stage loading.  And there is the potential of an accidental double charge if using light charges. The auto advance Lee could prevent that - I have read that the index device wears rather quickly but the replacement part is cheap.

For my rifle rounds I still do them single stage and use my RCBS uniflow in a separate stand for charging cases.

I have 4 turrets I've picked up at sales but the Lyman turrets are EXPENSIVE and not real convenient to change - not hard to change but nowhere near as easy as the Lee.
And the Lee turrets are pretty cheap. Since I have more dies that turret space I still end up screwing and unscrewing dies pretty often. Keep my main dies set up in the turrets most of the time. I'd have a turret for each set with the Lee.

I have nearly dumped my Lyman several times for Lee just for convenience - but my wallet situation has so far discouraged the move. If I could unload my Lyman for a good price I'd do it.  My Lyman turns out great ammo and is very strong. About 3 weeks ago I built some 300 win mag ammo that shot into .37 " at 100 yds and I can load 223 ammo that shoots .75 to 1.0 in my Ruger #1 - about the best the rifle can do.  

I  went to the Lyman when Midway had a great sale years ago, and I had just started loading the 9mm. Minimizing handling of those little 9mm cases was my motive and this system was definitely an improvement. I just don't load/shoot enough to go to full progressive. I try to do batches of 200 to 400 rounds at a time -forget the rate I can do - I think about 150-200 rounds / hr being careful. Tempting to try to rush but memory of those pinched fingers or other errors usually keep me in check.

Hope this helps.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline dickttx

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 05:53:23 AM »
Thanks Dand,
Very informative.
If I am understanding you correctly, the Lee with auto index would not cut down on the number of strokes, but would reduce the case handling considerably.
Might be worth a try.
The first (second after Lee hand tool) press I bought was a Lyman turrent, complete with carbide 38/357 die set. Still have the die set but sold the rest of my gear to a highway patrolman who was wanting to get started.  Bought the C-H press I still have because I wanted to form cases.  It will move a .50 BMG to a .222!

Offline DMF38

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 04:27:14 AM »

With my Lee Classic Cast Turret press I can safely reload 200 cartridges per hour.  That's with straight-wall pistol cartridges like .45 Colt and .38 Special.  Bottleneck cartridges like .30-.30 take a little longer. 

Offline Spector

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 07:00:27 AM »
Lee has fully supported turrets.  Remove the auto advance rod and you have a single stage press in the way it operates.  Just hand advance the turret to go to the next die.  Reinstall the turret rod (about a 7 second process) and load a lot of ammo due to less case handling.  Ideal for beginners or advanced reloaders.  Get the Classic Turret press and you have a real machine...........Mike

Offline tacotime

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 08:45:01 AM »
I used the Lee Turret for many years.  I quit using the auto-index because the fiber washer that rotates the turret was weak and failed, causing the index not to stop at the right spot or not turn at all.  A stroke out of position can damage a case or maybe allow a duplicate operation at the same station if you did not notice (maybe a double charge from the powder dispenser) or something worse possibly.  I now use the same press without the auto-index and do one step at a time for all rounds and then move to the next step and manually rotate the turret.  Seems safer, but you do end up inserting and removing the case in the holder more times. 

Next I think I'll get the Lee Challenger with the quick change holder for each individual die.  Just seems smaller, simpler and easier to store. 

I use the Lee hand primer. My only caution there is an inappropriate shake of the device can cause two primers to appear in the loading area, with a possible detonation if you didn't notice it and tried to seat them with the usual stroke.

Offline texagun

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 11:53:02 AM »
I used the Lee Turret for many years.  I quit using the auto-index because the fiber washer that rotates the turret was weak and failed, causing the index not to stop at the right spot or not turn at all. 

You can order those fiber washers from Lee for about .50 cents each.  I've never worn one out but I did recently order 4 of them to keep on hand just in case.