Author Topic: T/C renagade takedown pin loose  (Read 786 times)

Offline hesco

• Trade Count: (1)
T/C renagade takedown pin loose
« on: September 22, 2010, 04:41:10 PM »
How do you tighten the takedown pin? mine is loose will almost drop out, do you build up the area between stock and barrel or peen the slot on the barrel so the pin will pull down harder?

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: T/C renagade takedown pin loose
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 04:47:32 PM »
Open a bench vise just wide enough to catch each end of the wedge on the top of each jaw.

With the ends of the wedge lying on the jaws & it's center unsupported, use a hammer & drift pin to put a slight bow in the wedge.

Baby steps: bang/try/bang/try, etc, until it pulls in tightly.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 03:41:22 AM »
With the pin and ramrod removed, and the barrel seated in the channel, do you have some "spring" in the stock up at the forend?

You should be able to continuously compress and release the barrel by hand up at the end of the forearm and feel this. The distance that the barrel "springs back" upon release is almost the width of that pin. T/C engineered the rifle to do this...a primitive type of free floating perhaps.

If you cannot get any "spring" out of the barrel, you might inspect that hooked breech plug and the channel that it mates to for any rust or crud that may need cleaning on both these male & female parts.

If you do have this prescribed amount of spring, I would simply get a new pin from TC

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 12:37:35 PM »
I had a GM drop in barrel on my Renegade. When I got it the pin would just fall out. I took a hammer and a punch and tapped the loop on the barrel in a little at a time until it fit nice and snug.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 12:53:59 PM »
Bending the wedge or bending in the staple will both work.  Either one is a correct fix.  Wedge pin fit will (or may) affect point of impact or group size.  I had an experience with one of my Renegades that had a very tight wedge pin.  Couldn't get real good groups until I straightened the wedge a bit to reduce the tension.
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 12:58:11 PM »
I had a GM drop in barrel on my Renegade. When I got it the pin would just fall out. I took a hammer and a punch and tapped the loop on the barrel in a little at a time until it fit nice and snug.

That's the correct way to do it.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 04:22:08 PM »

That's the correct way to do it.

+1
found elsewhere

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 05:32:40 PM »
"That's the correct way to do it."

Dunno if that's the correct way, but it's the intuitive way.  I did that with my GPR when the wedges were loose, and I thunk it up all by myself.    ;D

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 07:46:23 PM »
I also had to do this with one of the wedges on my gpr. now both are tight.
Thanks Don.