Author Topic: Which browser is best?  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Which browser is best?
« on: September 24, 2010, 05:39:30 AM »
Until recently I've been running an outdated browser and now feel it is time to move on as so many sites aren't compatible with what I had before.  I've already tried a couple and am now trying Google Chrome.  Firefox will be next.  What are some of the advantages and disadvantages between different browsers?  Is one more compatible with GBO programming than the others?  So far Chrome seems to be the fastest to search yet most complicated to operate correctly for me.

I know many here have talked about Firefox.  What improvements can I expect when I try it next?

Thanks for all help and opinions.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Which browser is best?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 03:25:20 PM »
I used Google chrome for a while. Switched to Firefox. Can't see a lot of difference in the two. JMO but i think they are both faster than Internet Explorer. Had a lot of problems connecting to sites with IE. It seemed to take forever.

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 03:33:51 PM »
firefox .. hands down the best browser
 with the customizable add on's and user adjustments  and updates, its hard to beat

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 10:10:20 AM »
I used to be a hardcore Firefox fan.  It got slower and slower over the years as they added more to the codebase.  About a year ago I switched to Chrome and have been very happy with it.  PARTICULARLY in Linux, which I use at home.  At work I'm on a Windows machine and Firefox is OK there (and it's OK on a Mac), but for whatever reason Firefox drags bad on Linux.  Chrome is just as snappy there as anywhere else, so that's what I've settled into using everywhere.

Offline John Y Cannuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 07:27:12 AM »
If Firefox seems slow, try the new Firefox beta 8. I think it's as fast as Chrome, and has all the features you could want.
Canadian Liberal Gov't = elected Dictatorship

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:34:37 PM »
I absolutely hate and despise IE,  anytime I have to get on a computer that has it I cringe.  Anyway, I was big on firefox until chrome come out,  for me it is the best one out there,  it is very simple to use and is the fastest browser out there at this time.  The only thing that I don't like about chrome is that it is new enough that there is a few people out there that still have not got on the bandwagon and added support for chrome, but there is only a hand full,  I can think of 2 off the top of head and I visit a lot of websites.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 05:25:16 PM »
I absolutely hate and despise IE,  anytime I have to get on a computer that has it I cringe.  Anyway, I was big on firefox until chrome come out,  for me it is the best one out there,  it is very simple to use and is the fastest browser out there at this time.  The only thing that I don't like about chrome is that it is new enough that there is a few people out there that still have not got on the bandwagon and added support for chrome, but there is only a hand full,  I can think of 2 off the top of head and I visit a lot of websites.

One thing that will help there: Chrome uses the same rendering engine as the Mac Safari browser (Webkit - Firefox uses Gecko and IE uses Trident).  Safari is the default browser on the Mac platform and hence many Mac users use it.  As web developers fix bugs on Safari, they are fixed for Chrome too. 

Plus, with the prevalance of people accessing pages on phones now, developers are really having to stop doing the IE-specific development - PARTICULARLY with a subset of Chrome being used on Android phones and a subset of Safari being used on the iPhones.

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 06:10:49 PM »
mi co soft has let virus in on me. have had my mail hijacked, now skydive took over my pic. sending, I also have firefox and like it,