Author Topic: Looking to Purchase Cast .223 Bullets  (Read 1850 times)

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Looking to Purchase Cast .223 Bullets
« on: September 24, 2010, 10:05:51 AM »
Anybody know where I can pick up some hard cast .223 bullets?  I did a little bit of searching but I couldn't find anything.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Looking to Purchase Cast .223 Bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 07:25:11 AM »
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

I've always gotten good bullets from Beartooth; not typical commercial cast too hard with too hard lube. If you slug your bbl. you can order bullets from .224" to .225" to fit your gun.

Edit. the .22 cal selection doesn't come up with this link. Just click on .22 cal in the column on the left.

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 10:21:30 AM »
....and I can testify to the fact that they work excellent in the .22 Hornet and K-Hornet, .218 Bee, .221 Fireball, .222 and .223. I use them a bunch and just love the crap out of them.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Range Rider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Have a nice day cowboy
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 09:02:18 PM »
Reed are you using the Beartooth bullet?  I note it only comes in a .225 Diameter.  Do you use it in a .223 or .222 Hornet bore or the newer .224?  Will these bullets expand?  Are they hard or soft?  I am inerested in loading some in a .22 Remington Jet  6 1/2 S&W handgun. Thx

RR
Range Rider

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 03:08:01 AM »
Yes. Most folks will find that with cast bullets, running .001 over groove size tends to shoot very well with little fouling. My hornets that I shoot on a regular basis are all .224". I do not think they will expand much over a slight amount but I do not expect them to. I use them 95% for target work (I have shot a few heads with them). They are pretty hard in the 18-20 BHN range. I would not recommend them for the Jet in a Mdl 53, you really need to stick with smaller bullets for it. I'm not saying they would not work, but past experience lends me not to bother trying. The Mdl 53's is a .222" groove and seems to have pretty shallow cuts. With that combo jacketed bullets of .222" size should work best.
Now, the jacketed bullets are on backorder at Hornady and have been for well over a year. So as inexpensive as the lead bullets are, if I were in your shoes and had some time to play a little with the load, I just may buy 1 or 2 hundred and try it. Worst that would happen is they lead the bore and shoot a 10" group, in which case you can re-sell the remaining bullets here and they will sell.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Range Rider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Have a nice day cowboy
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 05:08:15 AM »
Thx Reed good Info.  I have a good supply of .222 Jet Jackets.  I have been thinking about casting some lead bullets for the Mdl. 53.  I have been shooting the Jets for over 40 years.  Your points are all dead on. The shallow grooves handle the .22 LR Rimfires OK.  I was thinking of load around 1,000 FPS with a 45 gr. flat point. Thx again
RR
Range Rider